PDA

View Full Version : Berm picking summer and winter

fatelk
12-23-2015, 05:28 PM
At the rural outdoor range I'm a member of, the berms are loaded with lead for the picking (no digging). There are multiple bays so you can almost always have a bay to yourself without problem.

I typically will pick lead off the berm when I have time, five to twenty pounds at a time when convenient, about a pound a minute when conditions are right. I end up with pretty clean lead; buckets of slugs without gravel, sand, or junk. In the summer when it's really dry they're easy to pick up, and in the winter after a good rain.

It's crossed my mind that in the summer it's dry and dusty, and the berms must have literally tons of lead with much of it ground to dust. I don't stir up dust when I'm picking, but a little at least has to be getting on my clothes, maybe breathing the slightest even though I don't think I am.

I was just there the other day after a torrential downpour and the berm was grey with lead. I picked up over 20 lbs in very short order. From now on I think I'll never even look at the berm in dry conditions!

bigjake
12-23-2015, 07:36 PM
I love picking, digging, mining for lead. I dug, and water sifted about a half a ton (literally) of 7 1/2- 8 size shot from a skeet/trap range and a turkey shoot. I would lift up a big section of sod and right under it was a huge layer of the shot.

Yodogsandman
12-23-2015, 09:54 PM
That scrap lead is oxidizing as it sits, too. That fine powder is easy to breath in when it's disturbed and made airborne. Have you had your lead blood levels checked lately?

fatelk
12-23-2015, 10:36 PM
That scrap lead is oxidizing as it sits, too. That fine powder is easy to breath in when it's disturbed and made airborne. Have you had your lead blood levels checked lately?
Great, something else to worry about. I've become more concerned about health in recent years, and to be honest I have seriously given thought to completely giving up messing with lead altogether.

Yodogsandman
12-23-2015, 10:47 PM
Picking from wet berms is a great idea to reduce your exposure. I'm sure that you take adequate prevention measures when you're at home to reduce or eliminate your exposure, too. I didn't mean to alarm you, just for info only.

fatelk
12-23-2015, 11:16 PM
No, I understand, and I do appreciate the warning. I have young kids and am very careful at home. Sometimes I'm afraid my kids think lead is a terrible deadly toxin; my 5yo once picked up an ingot I had on my workbench in the garage and his older brother immediately yelled at him to put it down and go wash your hands with soap, NOW!

I did just dump a bucket of range scrap into another bucket, and there is quite a bit of looses oxidation on the bullets on the bottom. That concerns me a bit. I guess I should put lids on them and wear a dust mask if/when I get around to smelting them. The first time I had my levels checked better part of a decade ago it was about 5. The next/last time it was just over 7. I do worry a lot more about health issues nowadays, maybe too much. I've actually been toying with the idea of getting rid of a bunch of my guns and loading gear off and on for quite a while now. It's a time and money issue more than a health issue, though.

Yodogsandman
12-24-2015, 06:02 AM
Sounds like you have a good lead handling habits and have passed them along to your children. Kids have a much lower tolerance for lead. Good on you!

In about ten years you'll find that you have more time as the kids age and become more independent. Glad I kept all my stuff! I'd hate to have had to replace anything at current prices. I saved lots of money when the kids needed plinking ammo as they grew up, too. They outshoot me, now.