PDA

View Full Version : .41 crimp

Battis
12-23-2015, 01:51 PM
I want to use a tapered crimp on my .41 Swiss (formed from .348 Winchester brass). I use a .429 bullet over black powder. Would a .44 Mag tapered crimp work or should I go with a smaller diameter?

The reason I want to crimp it is because I use a longer case and a shorter bullet to accommodate the black powder charge. It works very well so far, but sometimes the longer cases don't chamber unless I use the FL die after the round is loaded (just enough to touch the case mouth, with the deprimer pin removed, of course). This was suggested to me a few years ago, and it works, but I figured a crimp might work better.

Gar
01-01-2016, 11:45 AM
I doubt a .44 Mag crimp die would work, haven't tried thou. I'm using a modified Lee 41 Spl Factory Crimp die, but I'm loading a healed bullet. Had to cut the die body short and modify the interior crimping slide to get everything short enough for the case length.
You may be able to shorten up a tapered 41 Mag crimp die to work for you.

fg-machine
01-02-2016, 08:36 PM
talk to bernie at old west bullet molds , he was offering a reworked collet die to crimp the .41 swiss .
his molds are top shelf as well

Battis
01-03-2016, 01:07 AM
A .41 Mag or .41 SP crimp die would make more sense than a .44 Mag crimp die. I'll also contact Old West Bullet Molds to see what they suggest.
I'll probably keep loading the rounds as I've been doing. The problem is that the cases have to be fairly long (1.67") to use with that .429 bullet to get the 2.2" OAL needed for the rounds to feed through the mag. Slightly "resizing" the loaded rounds isn't a big deal - it's just an extra step. I loaded 20 rounds last week with approx. 55 grs of FFG and all but one fed through the magazine and chambered- the one that didn't chamber had to be slightly "resized" again. Those rounds are very accurate, mild recoil, and very smoky.
A shorter case and longer bullet wouldn't need that extra resizing step, but I wouldn't be able to get that much BP in the case. I could use smokeless, but I like black powder with this rifle. I spray the barrel with PAM every few shots and it keeps everything nice and clean and lubed.
Here's the Vetterli and a .54 Gallagher.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m217/pohill/DSCF4321_zpsbb68c914.jpg