PDA

View Full Version : Transporting Milsurps to the Range

alamogunr
12-23-2015, 01:44 PM
I'm hoping that many that frequent this part of the forum will respond with ideas. I'm looking to buy or build a container to hold 3-4 rifles which will probably include milsurps. As most here know, these old rifles are usually longer than current sporters.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money and possibly have just enough skill to build a wooden box with internals to support the aforesaid 3-4 rifles. I would like to have something that I can put in the bed of the truck that will not attract attention if I have to stop either on the way or coming back from the range. Suggestions on securing it are welcome also.

Scharfschuetze
12-23-2015, 04:08 PM
I have a lockable shell on my Ford PU and if just going to the range I put the hard gun cases in the bed. On a couple of road trips, I have used a chain connected to the load tie down points and run the chain through the metal handles on my heavy aluminum airline gun cases and then lock it all up with heavy duty padlocks.

Usually though, I just put the rifles in soft cases and put them behind the seats. I guess that's as secure as most any other approach and they are out of site too. Check the state laws where you live though. Some progressive states demonstrate their lunacy by demanding you have the weapons in the back. Of course I go out of my way to avoid those states.

The best system that I've seen is a false floor on the bed with a sliding shelf that locks once you slide the rifles in. They are a bit pricey though and may not be within the parameter of your search.

opos
12-23-2015, 04:10 PM
There is a 2 rifle plastic (foam lined) locking case that is always available on E bay...I bought 2 of them for 2 Mosin Nagants which require a 50" case...it works great...the cases are cheap clones of the high dollar cases...I think I paid something like $35 for the 2 rifle case and saw where other "sellers" were asking much more.(got to sort of check back on them and find the cheap sellers).sort of picking the low hanging fruit....I'd think a couple of these with locks (and maybe a stainless cable "leash" between the 2 locked cases )would work..and they satisfied the legal long gun transporting requirements for California..I just tossed them in the back of the Suburban and off to the range.

Artful
12-23-2015, 04:14 PM
Depends upon how long your Milsurps are.
For mine I put them in a soft travel case
https://acecase.com/images/P/rifle_case_pocket_digital_camo-01.jpg
then but the travel cases into a hard side golf bag shipping case.
http://images.budgetgolf.com/P/72004.jpg

I can get half a dozen in without problem.
And it has little wheels to roll on concrete walksays.
And if your going to go over less civilized paths,
Pick up one of the foldable carts and bungee cord the
shipping case on.
http://www.discountgolfworld.com/content/bagboy/m330-golf-pull-cart-closed.jpg

Cable lock thru the handle of the travel case w/ padlock.
And you can padlock some of the travel cases.

I bought my soft travel cases at a gun show - had pocket on the side and was less expensive than internet pricing if you counted shipping. Goodwill/2nd hand store was provider of the cart and golf bag travel case.

JWFilips
12-23-2015, 04:21 PM
While not a wooden box: My GEW98 (w/ 29.5 inch barrel) fits nicely into a shotgun soft well padded case.
Once or twice a year they go on sale at my Local Gander Mountain store Definitely a good buy for the price

Eddie2002
12-26-2015, 11:38 PM
I'm using a old wire luggage carrier that can fold up with a milk crate tie wrapped onto the base. I'll load up an ammo can with whatever calibers I'm taking to the range and put it in the front of the milk crate. All the milsurplus rifles are in soft bags and will fit in the crate around the ammo can. A couple bungee cords around the muzzle ends of the soft bags and carrier handle ties everything together nicely. I can pick up the whole thing an roll it into the back of the truck. I found a 6 gallon milk crate and switched over to it, now I can carry two ammo cans to the range if I feel like it. Usually bring 4 rifles to the range with the carrier and carry a small range bag on the side.
If you are making your own carrier keep the wheels at least a foot apart. When they are too close together the carrier will want to flip over in turns or on grass.

Mk42gunner
12-27-2015, 12:14 AM
I've got a couple of the cheap plastic two gun cases, they fit inside my crossbed tool box which locks. Much better than having anything in sight if I have to stop and leave the truck.

Robert

Der Gebirgsjager
12-27-2015, 11:22 AM
I guess I've used almost all of the systems mentioned and/or recommended in the preceding posts. I once built a large wooden chest just like you are suggesting that had racks inside of it for a pickup truck, but gave up on that idea when (1) it leaked, and (2) sometimes I had to unload it in order to be able to haul other things and even empty it was HEAVY! So now, like Scharfshuetze, I have a lockable shell on my current truck but wouldn't trust the locks to deter an auto burglar for more than 2 minutes, and I also utilize the "cheap"(?) plastic hard cases that hold two rifles.
Whenever possible I take a hard cab jeep-like vehicle I own to the range. The back seat folds up to give a cargo area in the back, and I stack them and then cover them with a blanket so nothing is visible from outside the vehicle. But, since you are using a truck I think short of locking them in the cab, the best way you could go would be to buy a commercially made truck bed tool box. They're made out of steel, mostly waterproof, and some brands provide pretty good security. Not inexpensive, I'm afraid. But the ones that have lift open doors on the ends provide convenient access in that you don't have to climb up in the truck and lift a chest-type lid, and they can be permanently mounted to the truck bed. I don't believe that you'll be happy with the homemade wooden box after awhile.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-27-2015, 11:52 AM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/13/e2/5c/13e25c46d4acb0b86ad7d1e4b5619dea.jpg

Petrol & Powder
12-27-2015, 11:54 AM
I'm going to agree with Der Gebirgsjager, a locking truck toolbox will probably be a better bet in the long run.
They are very common and therefore allow the "hide in plain sight" effect. They are weather proof. They have decent locks and can accommodate long rifles and associated gear.
Some of the better models have very good locks. They will cost more up front but ultimately I think you'll be happier to spend that money on the front end.

I will say that the long chest type lid may be better than the 1/2 lids for long items but I'll leave that up to you.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Hey! JonB has a great option. I've seen that before, but forgot about it. Only thing is--you just about have to have a camper shell/canopy for weatherproofing--but maybe not if you built it right.

Artful
12-27-2015, 12:45 PM
Says it's waterproof - http://www.truckvault.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kspNmc1TfvM

More options
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=truck+tool+storage

Artful
12-27-2015, 12:53 PM
Something different - doubt it's weather tight though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK3YYOhrIls

Artful
12-27-2015, 12:58 PM
There's a plastic option

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOYwfBTfjvU

hporter
12-27-2015, 01:31 PM
I had the same problem with my Mosin and Trapdoor rifles being too long. I had a tool box in the back of the truck, but it wouldn't hold my handguns and my rifles both. And I usually had to put the extra long rifles on the back seat in rifle cases that just screamed "I am a gun - please steal me". So I upgraded to to a retractable tonneau cover and got rid of the truck box. This wasn't cheap, so it doesn't meet that part of your criteria, but it makes things so much easier when it comes to transporting items to the range.

Here is the Tonneau closed from the outside.

Here is the Tonneau closed with an empty bed.

I then built a cheap 2x4 frame to hold my range boxes in place, and an elevated rifle rack that just pops out when I am not transporting rifles. This meets the cheap part of your criteria.

The uprights are spaced far enough apart to put a hard case, or soft case in.

It is an 80 mile round trip to the range I shoot at, and I haven't had any issues so far with this configuration. And with the Tonneau cover closed and locked, everything is out of sight from prying eyes. I don't think the lock would do much other than to keep an honest man - honest. But it gives me peace of mind when I have to stop along the way to the range.

Good luck with your solution.

Artful
12-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Nicely Done hporter (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?6218-hporter)

I maybe should have mentioned that my Golf Case travels in the back of a SUV/station wagon so that's the first line of defense.

alamogunr
12-27-2015, 05:42 PM
hporter, I like your solution. I have a 60 mile round trip to the range and also have to occasionally stop either coming or going. I think I have seen a cover somewhat like yours. I will check it out. It may be more money but it may be cheaper than losing guns.

hporter
12-27-2015, 06:07 PM
Alamogunr,

Thank you, it has worked well for me.

Since you are interested, I will mention a caveat. My Toyota Tundra has a plastic cap on the top of the bed rails that has raised ridges on it, so the tonneau cover doesn't seal perfectly on my truck. Consequently I put a thick rubber drain mat under my range boxes to accommodate the wee bit of water that gets in there went it rains. Having said that, I have a couple of friends that steered me to this solution who have Chevys and Fords, and they do not seem to have the water leak issue.

I bought mine from http://www.retrax.com, but there are comparable models from other manufacturers out there at different price points.

The other advantage to this type of system is that you can roll it open a few inches, or feet, and engage the lock. For example, when I haul my lawnmower over to my father in-laws I can leave the handles sticking out the back, roll the cover up to the handles and lock it shut. Other friends with solid top tonneau's have to leave it open at an angle and tie it down to the trailer hitch to accommodate tall objects.

And you probably have already thought about this, but make sure you have a lockable tailgate, or it wouldn't make any sense to install one of these.

alamogunr
12-27-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info. Just before I posted the previous post, I went to the garage to make sure the tailgate locked. It does. I have never used it since it has no cover now.

Before this came up, I had never considered a cover since, being retired, I haul yard waste(leaves, fallen branches, etc.) and occasional other items. It looks like this type cover would allow that.

pietro
12-27-2015, 07:38 PM
http://mosinnagant.net/sniper%20section/images/rgcrate.JPG

alamogunr
12-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the photo, Pietro. That is very similar to what I had envisioned in the OP only smaller. I would only need room for 4 rifles max and maybe a corner for a handgun case. It would have to be at least as long as the one pictured because 91-30 Mosin's, Swede's and K-11's are all pretty long. Some others are not much shorter,

Rather than solid wood, I would probably use a good grade of exterior plywood and paint it for durability. This plus a cover like hporter shows would serve my purpose very well. Thanks to all.

W.R.Buchanan
01-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Integrated into my ongoing Built from Scratch Jeep Project,,, Here,,, http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?5310-Here-s-the-Descrambler

I have designed a two drawer system similar to the one Art showed the video of above. Mine is made from Plywood and has two sliding drawers about 5 feet long which should hold all of my guns and support stuff for the jeep itself. Since the Jeep has a Full Length Hard Top that hopefully I will be able to make it water tight. It will be made to fit between the wheel wells and the same height so there is a flat surface the full width of the vehicle. Tie downs included on top for the various totes you need to support a given trip as well as Electrical outlets for various coolers etc. Very easy to configure for different purposes.

One point that needs to be made is if you are planning on having this thing in your open pickup bed, it needs to be waterproof and bolted to the bed. Also you need to be able to lock your tailgate so un-wanteds can't access the front of the drawers.

As far as leaving guns in a open pick up in anything less I would error on the side of caution and just not do it. You can put long guns in soft or hard cases and put them inside the truck cab.

I have a shell on my big truck and I lock it when leaving the vehicle but I don't leave my guns in it overnight in a unfamiliar place. They go inside with me.

With the various gun caddys and boxes shown above I would at lease have a Cap installed on the bed, so that you could lock it. A shell would be better as you can actually use it for shelter if you need to. I have slept in mine many times.

Also the biggest temptation to the less fortunate can be eliminated by the simple phrase,,, "Out of sight, out of mind!"

Randy

flint45
01-07-2016, 04:05 PM
I just use a metal tool box that has good key locks put all guns in soft cases to protect them, looks like a contractor witch i used to be.

hporter
01-07-2016, 05:26 PM
Randy,

Do you have photo's of the gun drawers on the website that you provided the link for? I didn't want to join another site just to see the photos, but I am intrigued by your project. I have an old Toyota FJ62 4x4 wagon that I want to build an elevated deck for in rear cargo compartment with drawers underneath. Just to be able to keep prying eyes off my firearms when I use it to go to the range.

Harold

W.R.Buchanan
01-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Harold: I haven't built them yet. The Jeep Build is still in progress.

The drawer system has to be integrated into the rest of the build and will come to fruition mostly during the Hard Top Install. The forward portion of the box has to provide a place for the Batteries and the Air Compressor as well. It will "essentially" look like the two drawer one shown in the Video that Art posted above but made of Birch Plywood. Birch Plywood is the 'Good Stuff!"

There are @900 pictures of the build to this point. It is worth signing up for!

Also that thread has received nearly 160,000 views, and is updated frequently. There is a lot of info there and it is well worth the read,,, which will take about 2 days to read completely!

If you have a full sized pickup, the bed will swallow a 4x8 sheet of plywood between the wheel wells. That would be the basis for your design and constructing a box the same height as your wheel wells would be the correct height. Once the box is constructed making drawers is nothing more than making two open top boxes that fit side by side however long you need them to be.

I have seen a variety of types of sliders employed from ball bearing ones which can be expensive when they are as big as you need, to simple strips of Teflon Sheet or UHMW on the bottoms of the drawers similar to what they do on Dog Sled Runners. This is what I'll be doing as it is too simple and too easy to do. I like simple, especially if it works well.

As far as locks are concerned it is easy to find key locks with rotating levers that can be installed. These are inexpensive and available from any Hardware Store.

I would recommend drawing something up and figuring out how many Sheets of Plywood you are going to need and try to plan the job out so that you maximize the materials usage.

If you are completely devoid of woodworking skills then I'd recommend finding a local Cabinet Shop and have them build it for you.

Randy

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-13-2016, 02:11 AM
I've transported many a milsurp to and from the range. I've always used the sleeves like you see at gunshows the gun dealers use. I bought mine for $3 to $5 each and they've lasted for years. They tie with a string and they simply work. I've stacked many a pile of milsurps in the back section of my truck and hauled them to the range, never ever even dinged the wood or the metal. Cheapest way I know of to transport a milsurp. If your gunsafe is dry, they make good storage containers if you get the ones with the plastic like lining, not the sponge lining. One of the online gun case makers sell them now.