PDA

View Full Version : help me pick a new lube

toallmy
12-23-2015, 09:02 AM
I have been using EMMERTS WITH OLIVE OIL for a year or so . I run it through a magma star on 9mm, 357,and 45acp ,it workes fine no leading. well now I would like to cast up some to store through the winter , and my lube kind of cracks off in storage and gets all over the place. as well in the summer it is a little to soft. I am thinking of trying some fancey store bought lube . I dont have heat on my sizer , but I lube at room temp. I could rig up some type of heat to try it out. Thear is so much to study in the lube section :veryconfu that it makes my eyes look like this. I will play with lubes all my life I am shore , but I want to try a sort of hard store bought lube for now.Can you fellas recomend a starting point 'CARNAUBA RED OR SOME WHITE LABEL' . I have got in the habit of cleaning the base and tip wile loading , but could git over that pretty quick.[smilie=s:. ........... HELP I'M CONFUSED

chuckbuster
12-23-2015, 09:05 AM
"CR" probably too hard to run with no heater, suggest BAC from White Label or TAC1 from RandyRat. I don't think either will disappoint
Kevin

toallmy
12-23-2015, 09:36 AM
I am willing to try all of them.I will figure out how to order , thanks just got some lanolin from Randyrat should have thought of this a weak ago.I have a phone # for C Red and BAC. Ok I can rest my mind and go do some casting. Thanks Keith

oldcanadice
12-23-2015, 04:06 PM
Look up BLL on this site. Simple tumble lube and no leading in 357 Rugers I only used to shoot jacked in because they were such a pain with lead. It's so quick and easy that anymore I only use my Lyman 450 sizer to seat gas checks. Guns clean up in a few minutes with just a brush and outside wipe down.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-23-2015, 04:27 PM
I am willing to try all of them.I will figure out how to order , thanks just got some lanolin from Randyrat should have thought of this a weak ago.I have a phone # for C Red and BAC. Ok I can rest my mind and go do some casting. Thanks Keith
If you just ordered from Randyrat, too bad you didn't order some of his Tak#1 lube in solid sticks...could have saved on shipping fees. Tak#1 is my first choice of commercial lube. I find it applies better with a "little bit" of heat, but if your room is warm, above 75º I bet your star will push that lube out fine without added heat.

Just a little side note: I find that when applying beeswax based lubes, if the bullets are pre-warmed or your sizer has a heater, the lube sticks in the lube grooves of the bullet better. Also, that heat will form a "skin" over the lube as it cools and the lubed bullets are easier to handle, less tacky. But be forewarned that while the lube/boolit is still warm, that the lube can get damaged if you let them fall from the sizer, into a bucket. When sizing with my Star, I do take the time to catch each one, as it drops from the sizer, and stack then on a cardboard sheet.
Good Luck,
Jon

bangerjim
12-23-2015, 06:51 PM
If you are looking around and "will try them all" per you post #3 above.....consider powder coating! Read the threads in alt coatings section.

Clean, smoke-free, not sticky, easy to do, looks cool, good accuracy, lets you up-size boolits to your needs, you can color-code boolits for load development.

I dumped grease 3 years ago. Many on here have also.

Check it out....."inquiring minds want to know".

banger