PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SP 101 in 327 Federal Magnum. Thinking of getting one.

retread
12-22-2015, 10:56 PM
Thinking of getting the 327 Mag Ruger. Anyone have experience with this cartridge?

Plate plinker
12-22-2015, 11:06 PM
BIL has one says he likes it very much. I wonder about ammo availability though?

birddog
12-22-2015, 11:11 PM
Go through Starline and get a couple thousand rds of brass which they have available, a good mold and shoot away!
Charlie

Guesser
12-22-2015, 11:17 PM
I currently have 3 revolvers in 327. Great cartridge; but then I cut my teeth on 32 caliber revolvers 60 years ago and haven't recovered. I cast & load for all mine but American Eagle ammo in 85 & 100 gr. is available in most retailers in my part of the world. Price runs 25 to 27 $ for 50. I just got one of the new Ruger SP-101s this past sunday, slightly used. Got it for 400$. I have the Single 7 and a Taurus 327B2. I like all of them.

dragon813gt
12-22-2015, 11:21 PM
Cartridge is great. But I much prefer the Single 7 over the SP101. I know they are two very different revolvers. My SP101 had an extremely rough finish. There were rough edges and machine marks all over. Then there is the trigger pull that is absolutely horrendous. It's the worse trigger pull on any of my revolvers. I still own it because there are few choices when it comes to 327 Federal. If there was a similar revolver from S&W the SP101 would have been gone instantly.

saleen322
12-22-2015, 11:43 PM
Great cartridge. I have two revolvers: a GP-100 and a Blackhawk in 327 mag. The advantage the Blackhawk has is a longer cylinder which gives more bullet choices.

rking22
12-23-2015, 12:04 AM
I stumbled into an older 3 inch several months back and really like it. It has only a windage adj rear and I had to make a higher front sight for it, but it shoots very well with NOE 315316. It needs .314 boolits and I just load starline 327 for it. I don't try to push it really fast,I have other things for that, and in reality I would be just as happy if it were 32HR. I don't see much factory ammo around here but then I wouldn't buy it anyway, too much$$.
I wasn't looking for a 327 when I found it but now that I have it,, I would like to have a 4 inch too!
Yeah, it's a little offbeat, but when I found it I was in the toy store to buy an early 60s Rem 870 in 16ga :)

shooting on a shoestring
12-23-2015, 12:27 AM
I have one. Love it.

I bought mine by having my LGS order it, so it was sight unseen for me. Mine has great finish. Locks up tight. Decent SA and DA trigger pulls.

The light tube front sight is ok. It doesn't help at all in near darkness or night, but it doesn't hurt anything.

I shoot a 115 grain NOE SWC, plain base. Using WC820 (a milsurp powder pretty close to AA#9), I got an honest chronographed 1510fps. Yes it's as blasty as a heavy loaded 357, but recoils about like a hot 38. Really fun to shoot. Best groups were around 1400 fps.

I use the Hogue grip. Started using the Hogue grip on my SP101 2 inch 357 and put one on my SP101 4" 327 right out of the box.

i do have a couple of early Single Sixes in 32 H&R. The SP101 in 327 is definitely a step up the ladder power wise. Coupled with the DA, swing out cylinder and 4" barrel, I use it for a defensive weapon as well as a range toy.

Nothing bad to say about mine. Glad I bought it.

retread
12-23-2015, 12:29 AM
Good information. Thanks. Now I have some research to do plus a bunch of thinkin'. Really appreciate the input.

Jay

dilly
12-23-2015, 12:35 AM
I like mine. Like dragon813gt's, its trigger is a little rough. That's not the end of the world for me though. I have some hotter factory ammo but all I load is super light stuff. My ballistics are more like 32 H&R or even S&W long or short.

Accurate too. I'm not much of a hunter but I once killed a couple of bunnies with this thing and it does good work.

Fergie
12-23-2015, 12:40 AM
I grew up shooting a .32 H&R Mag, and a few years back, wanted another to pass on to the kids. Came across the .327 FM and started hunting around for a decently priced one...no dice.

Then the Single Seven came out and I bought one, only to sell it about a year later. The cylinder is shorter on that one compared to other .327s, so keep that in mind.

Now I've got one of the new production SP-101s and an 8 shot Blackhawk. The trigger and internals feel rough on the SP, but it is a fun shooter from full house .327, down to .32 S&W Longs and .32 ACPs. The BH is my favorite out of the two as it is a big heavy gun, and the round doesn't produce much recoil on that frame.

Reloading wise, it is fairly economical too.

retread
12-23-2015, 01:19 AM
Fergie, I hear you on the reloading costs. I can cast 2+ 32 for one .45. Powder is less but is a big factor but the lead savings is a big consideration. As far as the trigger is concerned, it seems to be a common complaint on the Ruger SP. There must be some trigger work that would improve that aspect. Anyone have any experience with that?

Jay

retread
12-23-2015, 01:21 AM
Fergie, I noticed you included 32 ACP in your list. Did you get an extra cylinder? Cost?

rfd
12-23-2015, 08:25 AM
dang, how'd i miss seeing this thread? interested in the sp-101 and this cartridge too!

dilly
12-23-2015, 08:27 AM
As far as the trigger is concerned, it seems to be a common complaint on the Ruger SP. There must be some trigger work that would improve that aspect. Anyone have any experience with that?

Jay

Yes, a Ruger SP101 trigger can be modified by a lighter spring kit, which is cheap and readily available. It can also be further smoothed out by proper stoning like any revolver. Lastly, they smooth out naturally over time, or rather with use.

Gus Youmans
12-23-2015, 11:08 AM
retread,

I had some leftover .32 ACPs and fired them in one of my .327 Federals just to see if they work - and they do. I think the .32 ACP is a semi-rimmed case. I seem to remember some extraction issues and that the cases were bulged. I don't think .32 ACP can be reloaded with .32 H&R/.327 Federal dies, so you would need to get another set of dies and shell holder to reload them.

In my opinion it kind of falls into the "Why bother?' category, but to each his own.

Gus Youmans

Fergie
12-23-2015, 11:46 AM
Fergie, I noticed you included 32 ACP in your list. Did you get an extra cylinder? Cost?

No extra cylinder was needed. They fit the SS, SP and BH just fine, but as Gus mentions, it is somewhat of a "why bother?" scenario. I know the pistols will shoot the rounds just fine, but it isnt something I bring with me to shoot...suppose it could be great for a trap line though.

retread
12-23-2015, 12:08 PM
The only reason I asked is that I have some 32 ACP that has been sitting on the shelf with no function other than takin up space.

saleen322
12-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Part of the reason for the heavy trigger is to put off rifle primers. The heavy shell is harder to ignite and needed due to the 45k operating pressure.

dilly
12-23-2015, 12:54 PM
True. May be better to work I the trigger by polishing it than by using reduced power springs.

dragon813gt
12-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Part of the reason for the heavy trigger is to put off rifle primers. The heavy shell is harder to ignite and needed due to the 45k operating pressure.

Wrong primer. Published loads call for Small Pistol Magnum primers which have softer cups. What people use is up to them. But small rifle primers are not standard spec.

saleen322
12-23-2015, 06:14 PM
Wrong primer. Published loads call for Small Pistol Magnum primers which have softer cups. What people use is up to them. But small rifle primers are not standard spec.

I'm not saying you can't use a small pistol primer (note in the article below both are used) but many loads use small rifle primers including Federal factory ammo. The Federal 205 is a small rifle primer. Specifically, you will see both in this shooting times article but the rifle primer will generally be safer at higher pressure.
Factory ammo used Federal factory primed brass with Federal 205 primers

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ammunition_st_reloadingthe327_200902/

Fergie
12-23-2015, 06:50 PM
The only reason I asked is that I have some 32 ACP that has been sitting on the shelf with no function other than takin up space.

No reason not to shoot it then! I carry a small Beretta Tomcat so I have quite a bit of .32 ACP around, but don't like reloading it due to the small case and my fat fingers. I wait until I have a good collection of brass and get rid of it on here, or to some locals that reload it.

Odd thing though, when shooting it, I noticed a lot of bore trash with the .32 ACP. Could be the ammo itself I suppose, but just a random observation that I did not see with my reloads.

dragon813gt
12-23-2015, 07:31 PM
I'm not saying you can't use a small pistol primer (note in the article below both are used) but many loads use small rifle primers including Federal factory ammo. The Federal 205 is a small rifle primer. Specifically, you will see both in this shooting times article but the rifle primer will generally be safer at higher pressure.
Factory ammo used Federal factory primed brass with Federal 205 primers

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ammunition_st_reloadingthe327_200902/

No pressure data, no care. I will accept the factory using rifle primers. What some journalist does is on them. All the powder manufacturers show load data w/ pistol primers. Even full bore H110/W296 loads. The round is designed for pistol primers.

saleen322
12-23-2015, 08:13 PM
No pressure data, no care. I will accept the factory using rifle primers. What some journalist does is on them. All the powder manufacturers show load data w/ pistol primers. Even full bore H110/W296 loads. The round is designed for pistol primers.

I think we are off track. The point to what I said originally was heavy springs (the heavy trigger) were used to ignite rifle primers. Ruger would have to make the revolver reliable with what is the most common factory ammo, Federal, which used rifle primers. I can only guess that Federal used those primers for the pressure. As far as reloading, I think folks have success with either rifle or pistol primers. I know I do.

cephas53
12-24-2015, 08:05 AM
As far as the trigger is concerned, it seems to be a common complaint on the Ruger SP. There must be some trigger work that would improve that aspect. Anyone have any experience with that?

Jay

From a small write up I did last year on another forum:
Did a trigger job on an older, not new model, .22LR Ruger SP101. Found good instructions here: http://www.sp101trigger.com/index.html
Ordered springs and shims from here: http://www.triggershims.com/ruger_double_action.html
The triggershims site also has some very good disassembly and reassembly videos. They knock a couple bucks off if shims and springs are ordered at the same time. Their communication was excellent with quick shipping. Not affiliated with them but if I ever meet them they have a cold one coming on me.
Some things I discovered. The stock hammer mainspring is around 14# while the replacements were 8, 10 and 12#. With the limited ammo I had I found the 8 & 10# would fire federals reliably. Had to go to 12# to fire the remingtons every time.
I did not personally care for the trigger reset with the lighter replacement latch spring so I kept it stock. As noted on the triggerjob site the trigger guard latch hole was rough and in need of cleaning out. Step 23.
Any plunger with a spring on it can fly into the black hole of the workshop. Invented new cuss words. However Ruger sent me a new cylinder plunger and spring at no cost. Learned to replace them in large freezer bag.
It was not in need of trigger shims as I originally thought, probably due to my measuring skills, but the hammer shims were well worth the effort.
Never warmed up to this revolver but am enjoying it now.

Harry O
12-24-2015, 01:35 PM
I have replaced the springs on two GP-100's and one SP-101 (and there will be a second SP-101 replacement in the near future). As mentioned above, they have 8, 10, and 12# springs for the mainspring (I have read that the factory mainspring is 14# or 16#, depending on the source). I have started at 8# each time and had problems with ignition with both factory and handloads. I won't be even trying the 8# for the new SP-101. I have ended up with 10# on two of them and a 12# spring on one of them in order to get reliable ignition. I also ended up keeping the factory trigger return spring. Have not tried the shims yet, but will be trying it on the new SP-101 in the near future.

Whit Spurzon
12-25-2015, 09:20 AM
I'm a fan of the cartridge. Economical, more holes in revolver cylinders, impressive on targets and game, accurate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5vJ0vIHKb8

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k542/WhitSpurzon/Ruger/1-016_zpssorevow7.jpg

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k542/WhitSpurzon/Ruger/1-008_zpsflebasqz.jpg

S7 with various loads, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R and 327

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k542/WhitSpurzon/Ruger/018_zps4s1gblip.jpg

Until the S7 came out I was mighty happy with the 32 S6. Still like it a lot but the S7 is even better.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k542/WhitSpurzon/Ruger/022_zpse667hrgn.jpg

saleen322
12-25-2015, 09:41 AM
Thank you for posting. What powder did you have the best luck with in the 327?