PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Swap Idea

petroid
12-22-2015, 09:52 PM
So I'm a lefty and have told myself I deserve a left handed bolt gun. I also am somewhat enamored with the 300Blackout and in a bolt gun, loaded with pistol powder, it is super quiet when suppressed. But there are no lefty 300Blackout bolt guns. Ruger's American Ranch model is pretty much what I'm looking for but not lefty. However, they do make a standard American model in 223 that is a lefty. What are the chances that a barrel swap could be made between these two guns leaving me with a lefty 300Blackout with a 16" threaded barrel, and a righty 223 with the standard 22" barrel that I could resell to recoup some of my costs. I am no gunsmith and don't have the equipment to do this, so I would hire a local gunsmith to do the actual work. What do you guys think of the idea? Are the barrels even compatible?

Artful
12-22-2015, 10:44 PM
Usually factories try to reuse the tooling as much as possible so chances are real good that the barrels will interchange - but you could call Ruger and get confirmation.

petroid
12-22-2015, 11:19 PM
Another option that I have toyed with is to get a lefty 308 rifle and install a custom barrel. If I had a 308 with an 18" threaded barrel with a 1:8 twist, I could theoretically shoot full power 308 loads or heavy subsonics. The typical 1:10 twist wouldn't suffice for the heavy subsonic bullets, but would the 1:8 be too fast for light bullets at speed? Availability and cost of such a barrel would be a factor, too.

Artful
12-22-2015, 11:50 PM
I have a .308 WCF 1:10 that is working well with 175 SMK at subsonic speeds close to 1050 fps.

Remington Factory
http://www.remington.com/pages/news-and-resources/press-releases/2010/firearms/remington-model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

Bodean98
12-23-2015, 12:27 AM
While possible, it's not likely the barrels will swap and index/headspace properly. That would lead to setting back the barrels and at least a partial rechambering of both rifles(I really don't like doing that). Maybe feasable if you had the means to DIY. Lots of labor there to pay for. I suspect you would be money ahead to get the .223 and rebarrel it to 300 BO from the start. May be a bit of tinkering to do to get it to feed also.

P.S. I'm not a pro nor an expert. Just an enthusiast with a few tools.

fordwannabe
12-23-2015, 12:29 AM
You could get a savage they make left handed actions/guns a barrel swap is super easy at home with a minimum of tooling and if you buy a bolt head and barrel you can use one gun in 308 then with 15 minutes work be shooting a 300BO or223. The savage uses a barrel nut and this solves the headspace issue. PM me if you would like more info. They happen to be VERY ACCURATE ALSO. Tom

nekshot
12-23-2015, 08:07 AM
I am a lefty also and been down that road and ended up with the savage 111 platform. I have 3 diff bolt heads, covers all my needs and allows barrels galore to be bought. If you go with Weaver take mounts and get a scope for each barrel you could shoot at a target and swap barrel and scope and shock yourself at the good groub you would end up with without adjusting the scopes.

petroid
12-23-2015, 11:53 AM
Another thought occurred. I know...dangerous. If one were to load a long heavy boolit like the lee 230 or noe 311-247 in a 308 case, would it still fit in the magazine and feed? In other words, would it be better to start with a long action?

Artful
12-23-2015, 12:34 PM
While possible, it's not likely the barrels will swap and index/headspace properly. That would lead to setting back the barrels and at least a partial rechambering of both rifles(I really don't like doing that). Maybe feasable if you had the means to DIY. Lots of labor there to pay for. I suspect you would be money ahead to get the .223 and rebarrel it to 300 BO from the start. May be a bit of tinkering to do to get it to feed also.

P.S. I'm not a pro nor an expert. Just an enthusiast with a few tools.

If your going to do that it's better to pay to have the 223 barrel threaded longer and put a Savage type lock nut and do the same for the 300 blackout barrel so you can adjust headspace and swap barrels.

Artful
12-23-2015, 12:41 PM
Another thought occurred. I know...dangerous. If one were to load a long heavy boolit like the lee 230 or noe 311-247 in a 308 case, would it still fit in the magazine and feed? In other words, would it be better to start with a long action?

0.875 sticking out of the case mouth with NOE design
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i80/swedenelson/1111-134-311247GrFNWhisper.jpg
308 WCF is a little shorter by the book but most bolt actions will take longer
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/49/Cartridge_308.PNG/500px-Cartridge_308.PNG

On my swap barrel rifle I used the long post-64 Winchester Model 70 and have bolts in '06 and Magnum. I run from 22-250 to 300 win mag without issues.

But I don't have a bolt for 223.

petroid
12-23-2015, 04:01 PM
Thanks Artful that's quite helpful. I suppose if I went the 308 route, I'd need a long action. Not sure what to do but in no rush as I can't afford anything right now but I'd just like to get an idea of what I really want so I know what to look for

geezer56
12-24-2015, 10:29 PM
You could get a long action rifle in '06 or 270. 308 take off Savage barrels are plentiful and reasonable. Rent a throating reamer for 30 cal. and you can set it to run any bullet you want and keep it out of the powder. You can even use '06 brass and make a really long neck that will still feed. I cant say that it will shoot any better than a regular 308, but it looks cool.

petroid
01-14-2016, 07:55 PM
Handled a ruger american ranch in 300blk at lgs the other day. Right handed but it was so light I could work the bolt with my right hand while holding the pistol grip with my left. I doubt it would be worth it money wise to try a barrel swap.may just pony up for the ruger and have at!