PDA

View Full Version : Select grade m1

tygar
12-22-2015, 09:30 PM
I was just doing my yearly linseed oil treatment on my M1s & decided to take a few pics of my Select Grade to show how a really nice, numbers matching Mint+ M1 can look. Have another 1 or 2 all correct rifles & 1 that's really nice also, not as nice but a very fine original. Hope this comes out, not great on this stuff.

15622015622815622715622615622515622415622315622215 6221156230

By the way, it shoots good. Got the bug after doing this so loaded up a box to shoot tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

JWT
12-22-2015, 09:38 PM
Pretty...

Scharfschuetze
12-22-2015, 10:20 PM
Very nice! Does it shoot as well as it looks? I'll bet that it does.

Le Loup Solitaire
12-22-2015, 11:36 PM
The rifle is stunning. It would also be quite hard to find as production of the M 1 ceased in the 6 million range and yours may well be one of the last to have been produced. I believe that this can be verified in one of the books in a series done by Scott Duff on the entire Garand history. Serial numbers on the so-called Korean issue Garands-H&R and IHC were all below 6 million. Some of those are turning up in outstanding condition at prices that are atmospheric. Yours may well have been never issued and consequently not handled or fired. It might be well worth doing some searching and verifying the date of manufacture. Congratulations on owning it. LLS

Scharfschuetze
12-23-2015, 12:00 AM
I did some checking for the OP and his six million numbered receiver was made in the last assigned block of numbers at Springfield Armory, probably late in 1953. It's 1956 barrel date indicates it was rebuilt at some point as an "as issued" rifle would have a barrel stamped SA 52 or SA 53. The "Defense Acceptance" stamp indicates it was accepted very late in the Korean War run of rifles as that stamp replaced the previous initials of the chief inspector at about that time.

"As issued" GI rifles (Krag, Springfield or Garands) are very scarce. Rifles were continually gauged and rebuilt as a matter of course in the military. Still are to this day.

With all that said, you have a stunningly beautiful Garand and it is no doubt a good shooter too.

Lots of books have been written about the Garand. Here are a few that are worth reading. I've also included a few photos of M1 accouterments that you may want to look for to add to your M1's kit.

Hick
12-23-2015, 12:26 AM
Beautiful. I enjoyed your comment about taking it out to shoot. I have a very nice M1 as well-- but would never dream of owning and not shooting.

Bzcraig
12-23-2015, 01:08 AM
I'd date her every day!!

tygar
12-23-2015, 01:24 AM
Actually I talked to Scott Duff (numerous times) on this, about 20yrs ago, & I can't really remember all he had to say but it is absolutely one of the last ones made & the barrel could be original as not all were barreled to receivers when made. Can't remember exactly the date the receiver was made, would need to dig thru stuff to find the production charts, if I still have it. I haven't got a "new" M1 since the mid 90s. as I had completed my collection of all the various models, so don't remember all the info on them. I do remember he said "all" the numbers, even the YO1 bolt, are correct.

Hard to keep track of all the guns & their history.

Scharfschuetze
12-23-2015, 02:23 AM
Hard to keep track of all the guns & their history.

Amen to that. European and Japanese battle rifles and pistols are a lot easier to ID accurately and to keep track of with all the parts numbered to match the rifle's number. A mismatch of a part is very easy to spot.

tygar
12-27-2015, 10:42 AM
I did some checking for the OP and his six million numbered receiver was made in the last assigned block of numbers at Springfield Armory, probably late in 1953. It's 1956 barrel date indicates it was rebuilt at some point as an "as issued" rifle would have a barrel stamped SA 52 or SA 53. The "Defense Acceptance" stamp indicates it was accepted very late in the Korean War run of rifles as that stamp replaced the previous initials of the chief inspector at about that time.

"As issued" GI rifles (Krag, Springfield or Garands) are very scarce. Rifles were continually gauged and rebuilt as a matter of course in the military. Still are to this day.

With all that said, you have a stunningly beautiful Garand and it is no doubt a good shooter too.

Lots of books have been written about the Garand. Here are a few that are worth reading. I've also included a few photos of M1 accouterments that you may want to look for to add to your M1's kit.

According to my production sheet, 6mil #s were from Dec 56-Dec 57, in addition Scott Duff said that all main parts were correct. As a matter of fact, he wanted me to bring this rifle, a pre-war, non rebuild & WWII non rebuild to show him in Baltimore at his last show he was going to set up at, several years ago. I was on a cruise so couldn't go.

This rifle was inspected in 66 & obviously no main parts were replaced, some small parts may have been changed but it gauged at less than 1 on both ends when I got it from CMP & the armorer who picked it out for me said it was all correct & about as nice as he's ever seen. Back in the old days you could talk to the guys & usually they would try to get what you wanted. Rifles they picked & sent to me for my collection. e.g. Pre-war, Win, H&R, the "Select" grade with brl, bolt, oprod correct, plus a couple others. Actually the worst rifle they ever sent was the "Collector" grade. It's, of course, all correct but the roughest stock of all.

Just way to many variables in the M1s to be sure of a lot of things. Most info provided by all the info sources is usually prefaced with the proviso that it's all approximate. A guy making the rifle could just pick up a part from a bin that doesn't "match" the rifle so that's why you can see most anything. At least that is what I was told.

Scharfschuetze
12-27-2015, 02:11 PM
Tygar,

Your info got me to looking on-line and I found a couple of sources confirming your info. My library needs updating!

I was once assigned on TDY orders to Anniston Arsenal in Alabama for two weeks where the DCM (now CMP) had their M1 facility. I brought my DCM Garand with me to have 'em put it back into original condition; but unfortunately, they had just suffered a negative Inspector General inspection and they had their doors closed to non-employees until all the issues were worked out.

mac1911
01-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Amen to that. European and Japanese battle rifles and pistols are a lot easier to ID accurately and to keep track of with all the parts numbered to match the rifle's number. A mismatch of a part is very easy to spot.

M1 do not have matching numbers. The best it gets is period correct. Correct drawing numbers for the time frame and such. Heck even the manufactures where using each other's parts to fill orders.
Its unlikely a 1952 Serial range would leave the SA factory with a 1956 barrel.
The rifle could easily have the correct parts for the period of build date.
Still a very nice rifle.

Your rifle was,made in the last year of SA production and is a fine example of as correct you can get with out being new in the wrap....worth some good coin vs what you paid for it 20 years ago.

Mauser48
01-01-2016, 03:02 PM
I will have to get up some pics of my all matching 1943 springfield.

tygar
01-01-2016, 03:32 PM
I would have thought you would have discerned that since I have numerous "correct" M1s I would have an idea of M1 info. Yes, period correct, but the "numbers" in the various pieces have to be "correct" for that ser# range - ergo "numbers matching" or "correct" both are correct descriptors.

And if you followed the above, you might note that Scott Duff, the definitive M1 authority, said it was correct.

mac1911
01-01-2016, 07:49 PM
I would have thought you would have discerned that since I have numerous "correct" M1s I would have an idea of M1 info. Yes, period correct, but the "numbers" in the various pieces have to be "correct" for that ser# range - ergo "numbers matching" or "correct" both are correct descriptors.

And if you followed the above, you might note that Scott Duff, the definitive M1 authority, said it was correct.

Correct.....I still want it!
My friends grandfather sprung a surprise on me over the summer.
He said " hey your the one into guns right". He then pulled a few boxes out of his closet and slowly revealed a IHC in original sealed wrap with just enough of the foil turned back to reveal the serial number. He says he lived a few miles from IHC plant and a few years after they closed several of these showed up in local shops.
That's the only unissued M1 I,have personally seen. He also has a really nice documented NM 1903 that's all he has left. Told me 13k would get them both.