PDA

View Full Version : What is this optical device?

beeser
12-22-2015, 08:33 PM
The picture below shows an optical device that was once on a Dillon RL1000 that I purchased. Anyone know its use?

runfiverun
12-22-2015, 10:17 PM
whatever it is it looks like it has an alarm.
I'd guess to check powder levels, or case heights.

JWFilips
12-22-2015, 10:18 PM
I'm guessing powder levels

wv109323
12-22-2015, 10:20 PM
My wild wild guess is that it insured the case got the correct amount of powder. It may have been able to detect a double charge or no powder in a case.

beeser
12-22-2015, 11:21 PM
The optical eye was pointed toward the position normally assigned to bullet feed/seating. Notice also there is a micro switch in the wiring. I thought it might have something to do with an automatic bullet feeder.

5Shot
12-22-2015, 11:29 PM
It's a photocell of some type. Is that a fiber optic going from the cell to the aluminum piece on the left?

It is looking for "something" blocking the beam. The switch is probably so that it only looks when the switch is on (closed) and then probably does sound an alarm to let you know whether there is anything in the way or not. Probably an alarm to tell you that there is no bullet in the case before you dump the powder everywhere.

ETA - Definitely not for powder. It was likely running in "Diffuse" mode and when the Fiber Optic didn't see anything where there should be a bullet it would make the circuit and run the beeper.

MtGun44
12-26-2015, 11:39 PM
Missing bullet would set off an alarm, my bet.

mdi
12-29-2015, 01:29 PM
It's a photocell of some type. Is that a fiber optic going from the cell to the aluminum piece on the left?

It is looking for "something" blocking the beam. The switch is probably so that it only looks when the switch is on (closed) and then probably does sound an alarm to let you know whether there is anything in the way or not. Probably an alarm to tell you that there is no bullet in the case before you dump the powder everywhere.

ETA - Definitely not for powder. It was likely running in "Diffuse" mode and when the Fiber Optic didn't see anything where there should be a bullet it would make the circuit and run the beeper.
My thoughts too. Micro switch indicates the alarm only works when a certain action takes place (system is off until the switch is closed or opened.).

5Shot
12-29-2015, 01:41 PM
My thoughts too. Micro switch indicates the alarm only works when a certain action takes place (system is off until the switch is closed or opened.).

Yup...probably a certain position of the ram and it will look to see what is or isn't there and sound the alarm appropriately.

z28z34man
12-29-2015, 02:05 PM
I would have to see what it looked like asembled but I use those banner optical switchs at work every now and then