PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce mag spring width?

nekshot
12-22-2015, 08:12 PM
I have a ar 223 replacement coil spring(from magazine) that measures 11\16 inch outside to outside. I want to put it in a magazine that measures a strong 9\16 inside width. So I need to get this spring down to 1\2 inch or so. I was thinking if I try bend each coil one at a time things might get un-uniform. If I take a block of hardwood and with 1\2 inch bullnose bit on shaper plow a groove the length of needed spring. Then take a bolt(the diameter of inside spring and the length of coil spring) and with clamps squeeze the spring into the groove should uniformally bend the bend on original spring to desired width all at one time. Am I missing something here? Or is there a easier way?

DougGuy
12-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Easier way, order some Wolff or Ismi springs that already fit.

oldred
12-23-2015, 06:19 AM
Easier way, order some Wolff or Ismi springs that already fit.

Agreed, get one that will fit!

Short of straightening the wire out and re-wraping it around the proper form almost any modification is very likely to result in a mess that will drag on the magazine sides at best and simply bind up at worst, the latter is quite likely.

nekshot
12-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Ok I will look into these suppliers. I was looking at various supply shops but not the producer. The leaf spring that is used in the savage 340 series mags is the perfect width and I would rather have a leaf than coil(I will make the lifter). Thanks for helping me see fruther than my nose!

oldred
12-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Yep, my luck with past spring modification attempts has ended in frustration! Wire springs can do some very funky things when a person tries to change the shape, just a minor mod to one or both ends is usually not so bad but trying to change the whole thing and get it even close to symmetrical can be a nightmare.

Obtaining some piano wire of the right diameter and wrapping it around the right form works fairly well however as long as it's done using straight wire with no previous forming. If you wanted to do that then piano wire is usually available as straight pieces or rolls in just about any size you might need on Ebay.