PDA

View Full Version : Mihec 308 hunting boolits way short on my rifle

Motard
12-22-2015, 06:33 PM
I bought this mould mainly for my new 94 Win but this morning decided to cast and test some rounds on my 308 Browning X-Stalker. What a difference!
While with Win (open sight) I could barely hit the orange with the scoped Bolt Action gun the groups are less than one inch tight from first shot. Nevertheless I have an issue. The rounds I have made crimping in the boolit's grove are way short 2.480 and having such a wide meplats they gets stuck on the feeding ramp. So I could fire them only by loading each one by hand. Does anyone had the same issue? Being the boolits gas checked I like to have seated the GC just at the base of the neck (as they come out crimping on groove), so to avoid156203156204 it flaring the brass.

Wayne Smith
12-23-2015, 08:42 AM
So is the difference the scope or the gun or the throat of each rifle? Or all of the above?

EMC45
12-23-2015, 10:35 AM
I would try seating and loading without crimping and see how things went from there.

Motard
12-23-2015, 10:47 AM
Hi Wayane, yes I think all the factors playng toghether (and the shooter too). But there was no complain about. I knew differencies between Lever and Bolt guns before buing the Win and I am confient I can lead it to shot in an axceptable way soon or later (some progress have been jet done). My question was about being not possible to me to load the X-Bolt rifle from mag with those boolits. I have made some dummy rounds for testing. The lefty two are Lee 309-170-F seated at 2,51 Coal. They feed with no effort. The two on right are MP 308-154. Same coal as Lees but they got mauled by the base of the feeding ramp: where it kisses the mag. Matter is the wide meplat that impact on the crescent moon shaped chamber base and comes out litterally sheared (see noses in pic). I polished the ramp but is a matter of measures. Cause I really like this bulletts I was thinking about the possibility to extend the Coal of the round way longer, but then crimping would be just at the lube groove. Would that be possible? 156258

Motard
12-29-2015, 10:07 AM
I have made a new batch test this morning at the range. The Mihec boolits are by far the best for accuracy up to 150 mt betwen the three .30 cal moulds I already own (lyman and lee the others). But the feeding issue is still there. I have to load them once a time from the action because the large meplat (wich I like and because of it I choosed the mould) got stuck in the action ramp of my rifle, this doesn't mean I am bashing the mould at all. It works nice in my 30-30 too. But may be there is a lack of compatibility with the Browning Stalker. Does anynone ho has the same mould can give me the maximum coal tested with axceptable accuracy?
have a good time
stef

GabbyM
12-29-2015, 11:51 AM
I’d load the C.O.L. to have the bullet just short of touching the rifling. Never crimped a bolt action case in my life. If your gas check is flaring the neck larger than your bullet. Then your size die is larger than your bullet. Which can work anyway but not the ideal setup.

Motard
12-29-2015, 12:45 PM
hi gabby, I assume one of the lubing grove was exposed? the sizing is 309,4. I have lapped the Lee die to this being rifle slugg at 308,4

Sent from my C6903 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

GabbyM
12-29-2015, 01:37 PM
Lube may be exposed in your chamber. I never had a 30 caliber that would allow much over about .130" (inch) of grove diameter front band above the case. I have a couple of 30 caliber cast bullets with a .100" front band above the crimp grove. In general it's right at the rifling or just .015" off. Saami chamber give end of a .310” throat at 2.1388” where a 1 degree taper ends at 2.3025”L. With a case length of 2.015" that gives about .125" of front band to the start of the taper.

Motard
12-29-2015, 02:16 PM
cause of my poor english I cannot get all of Your's precious infos. I'll try a better translation later and add some converted measures of my rounds :-)
the arrow in the secon pics shows the impact point

Sent from my C6903 using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

Motard
12-30-2015, 05:58 AM
Hallo GabbyM. With the helps of online measure converter I think I got rather all. My MP maximum coal being 2.484 untill now with cases trimmed 2.007 as per manuals I have. From Your's instruction I can rise it the full first lube grove and earn a good 0.09 inch (2.3mm) having a 2.574 full lenght. Hope it would solve my feeding problem but I am not shure cause I had random sticking also with the 2.529 Coal Lee 170 gr boolits I tested yesterday at the range. This boolit has way less meplat than the MP. The 2.677 Lyman Round nose is instead fedding flawlessy as all the FMJ i have loaded unitill now. Seems me issue is from the rifle. The metal feeding ramp corner being veri tight (acute) just at the plastic removable mag junction. Here is where the meplat got stuck and cause an indent in the boolit nose by pushing it forward itand up withe the action.
I was wishing loading longer so taht the mag spring may elevate the nose just a tad oveenaught OVER the junction and have it slip in the ramp with no impact. Hope I could explain myself better. If not will try with some pics