PDA

View Full Version : 1911 holster?

BigboreShooter
12-22-2015, 06:29 PM
Most comfortable holster for concealing 1911????

Bigbore

Wayne Smith
12-22-2015, 06:46 PM
Full Size?

Silver Jack Hammer
12-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Kramer Handgun Leather. I've been carrying the 1911 for years and Kramer is all I use, and I've been carrying for decades, full sized handguns. Kramer is all I use and all my buddies use it. Get the horse hide, buy the horse hide belt too, and be prepared to pay for the best. It makes a full sized heavy steel 1911 comfortable all day long, day after day.

RKJ
12-22-2015, 08:36 PM
I've been using Winthrop http://www.winthropholsters.com/ for some time now and am very pleased with them. I won't buy any other.

hp246
12-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Most of my time is spent in a car. I'm using a Andrews Custom Carjacker. Love it. http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

bruce drake
12-22-2015, 08:44 PM
I wear suits most of the time now and the Galco Miami Classic Shoulder Holster is my preferred rig.

Rick Hodges
12-22-2015, 08:54 PM
I wear suits most of the time now and the Galco Miami Classic Shoulder Holster is my preferred rig.

What he said ^^^^. I carried a Colt Gov't Model in a ******* Rig (Precursor to Galco)...8hrs or more a day for 4 years.

rondog
12-22-2015, 08:58 PM
IMO, that's totally dependant on the individual, his tastes, body style/size, manner of dress, where on the body he prefers to carry, what situations he carries in, and on and on.... What one man loves just may not work for another.

Petrol & Powder
12-22-2015, 09:25 PM
I agree that this is an individual decision and I carried a LW Commander for several years in a Milt Sparks IWB [inside the waistband] Summer Special. It concealed well but wasn't as comfortable as a OWB [on the waistband] belt scabbard. It comes down to concealment vs. comfort and I went a little more towards concealment.
I never warmed up to shoulder holsters and cross draw rigs but I will openly admit that is a totally personal choice that has no bearing on others.
An IWB holster conceals about 2/3's of the gun inside your waistband which only leaves the grip in need of the protection of a covering garment, however an OWB is far more comfortable in day to day activities. If the gun really must be concealed 100% of the time then an IWB holster gets the edge. It is far less likely to be exposed if your shirt/jacket rides up. If the gun only needs to be casually concealed (no huge problem if others around you know you have a gun) then an OWB holster is the clear winner.

This is a very personal decision that is dictated by many individual factors. I can't tell someone else what will work but I can say that no one else can either.

Bazoo
12-22-2015, 09:58 PM
I prefer a good pancake holster, like the galco combatmaster.

Paul_R
12-22-2015, 10:21 PM
IMO, that's totally dependant on the individual, his tastes, body style/size, manner of dress, where on the body he prefers to carry, what situations he carries in, and on and on.... What one man loves just may not work for another.

:goodpost:

It also depends on whether you plan to carry in condition one. No way I'm going code 1 with an open top holster unless it's attached to my car.

TXGunNut
12-22-2015, 10:43 PM
El Paso Saddlery, their workmanship and materials are top shelf. Have a couple of the "street combat" holsters and it's an excellent design.

Blackwater
12-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Txgunnut speaks truth, and I have several El Paso Saddlery holsters, and every one is a gem. bullets.com has a clearance on them now if they still have one like you want in stock, too.

For concealment, I have two favorites. For outside the waistband carry on a belt, I like Galco's "Askins Avenger" I believe it's called. Open top, but if you insist, you can get it with a loop for the hammer spur somewhat like on SAA holsters, commonly. When I carry, I've never used it, and simply rely on the tension of the holster and very fine fit to retain it. Carrying concealed, there should be very little need, if any, to protect against a snatch by a bad guy, like LE types may face, so I've never worried about it, and it's plenty fast, rides close to the body and relatively high, and the way the belt loops are arranged, it tends to tuck the bottom of the grip in, which is always the part that "prints" through a jacket when carrying a .45.

For carry inside the waistband, I have been amazed at Andrews Leather's McDaniel I have. Got it from Andrews himself at a gun show. Didn't intend to buy a new holster, but couldn't help myself once I tried it on. He encouraged me to do that, and once I did, I was amazed. It's the most comfortable IWB holster I've ever worn, and I've tried a number of them. The advantage of IWB carry is that the barrel can't peek out of a short jacket, and that could avoid some embarassment some time, or worse. It too, tucks the butt inward enough to matter, and yet, is still readily accessible. The grip is at just the right height and angle for quick access, and yet, hides easily and well.

Carrying will never be totally "comfortable," but these have done me proud every time I've used them, and I have no complaints, and nothing but praise for Andrews and his holsters. Mine has the safety snap, but if I bought again, I think I'd go with a plain open top. One other trait of the McDaniel is that it's among the easiest to put on if you don't carry all the time, and all you have to do is loosen your belt one notch, and you're good to go. Great holster, and like I said, I was very surprised to find an IWB holster that was decently comfortable, and you'll remember that long after you've forgotten everything else about it. FWIW?

Oh! And for field carry, I don't think you can beat the Bianchi 19L I believe it is. Lined, with thumb snap, and for belt carry outside the waist band. Great field holster!

Petrol & Powder
12-22-2015, 11:33 PM
When you get right down to it, there aren't that many variations on holster designs. Pancake, IWB, field holsters, open top scabbards, etc.

Pick what works for you.

And Blackwater - YES the Bianchi 19L is a classic field holster.

Bzcraig
12-23-2015, 02:44 AM
everyone has a favorite.....mine is CrossBreed

NavyVet1959
12-23-2015, 04:58 AM
M1911s are for OPEN carry.

Glocks are for CONCEALED carry -- because they are just so damn ugly no one would actually want to be SEEN carrying one of them. :)

Regardless, I prefer a minimalist leather OWB holster for M1911s. But, then again, I'm not carrying some sort of high end safe queen where a couple of scratches on the barrel is going to make a difference.

Something along this line:

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/ZAP-200.jpg

StrawHat
12-23-2015, 07:58 AM
Being new to 1911s, I do not have the same experience carrying as I do the S&W "N" frame. I have found the Askins Avenger style is a good choice for concealed carry. I carry OWB and it works well for me.

Kevin

LUCKYDAWG13
12-23-2015, 08:16 AM
El Paso Saddlery, their workmanship and materials are top shelf. Have a couple of the "street combat" holsters and it's an excellent design.
+ 1 I use this http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-226-21-summer-cruiser.aspx

Char-Gar
12-23-2015, 08:43 AM
I carry a Ruger LW Commander on a daily basis in a Simply Rugged Defcon and it is very comfortable.

Alstep
12-23-2015, 12:41 PM
I use a Skyline Toolworks Clipdraw. It's not a holster but a spring steel clip that hooks on your belt for inside the waistband carry. No thickness of a holster. Can easily be adjusted for comfort, when walking or in a vehicle, just that little bit of adjustment can make all the difference when driving. Fastens between the frame & grip. And it's under $20. Brownell's has them, and now you can order direct.
http://clipdraw.com/

ole 5 hole group
12-23-2015, 01:16 PM
There's a lot of different style 1911 holsters for inside or outside of your trousers - either way, you need a good belt to support the weight.

These are what I've used for several decades and will continue to do so.

Ithaca Gunner
12-23-2015, 08:41 PM
I keep three holsters on hand for 1911/Commander handguns, a Galco Miami Classic with the belt hold downs so it doesn't flop around during movement, a Black hawk inside waist band, and a Galco paddle holster. All three are comfortable and give good utility.

Love Life
12-23-2015, 09:50 PM
http://www.safariland.com/inside-waistband/model-6d-atb-waistband-holster-10860.html#start=1

I've used the holster linked above for years. Nice and thin.

Kraschenbirn
12-24-2015, 12:45 AM
+1 on the 'Askins Avenger' (or a good quality clone). I've had mine for over 30 years and it's still my first choice for outdoor carry wearing a jacket or overshirt.

Bill

TXGunNut
12-24-2015, 01:56 AM
Another favorite is the Bianchi model 80-something. I've carried a Colt Defender in it for so long the model number is illegible but it's the model with a release that should be activated by your second finger. Very secure and fast but it requires lots of (dry) practice. It doesn't conceal as well as my El Paso Saddlery holsters but when I have a hard day planned and my gun & holster may take a few licks then this is the combo I carry.

contender1
12-24-2015, 09:36 AM
I own 5 of the 1911's. I carry one a lot for CCW.
I was introduced to N82 Tactical a few years back by a cop. You know, the guys who HAVE to wear guns a lot with a lot of other stuff. Well, the original N82 full size for my 1911 has now been worn the most, for longer, than any other type I've tried. Trust me,,, I've tried a BUNCH too!
Plus,,, both of the Nates are great guys, and help the NRA!

Powersgt
12-24-2015, 11:43 AM
I bought a Milt Sparks back a few years ago, everyone recommended the Summer Special but I found the Executive to be the most comfortable - Horse hide outside.

http://www.miltsparks.com/products-executive.php

mortre
12-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Kramer Handgun Leather. I've been carrying the 1911 for years and Kramer is all I use, and I've been carrying for decades, full sized handguns. Kramer is all I use and all my buddies use it. Get the horse hide, buy the horse hide belt too, and be prepared to pay for the best. It makes a full sized heavy steel 1911 comfortable all day long, day after day.
I've got 3 horsehide Kramer belt scabbards and 2 of their horsehide belts. My railed 5" that tips the scales just shy of 50oz loaded is noticeable but still comfortable. I'm not a big fan of their IWB offerings though.

Dan Cash
12-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Milt Sparks http://www.miltsparks.com/products-inside.php
One of these will serve and last. My Versa Max is a bit over 15 years old and going strong. Used 3-5 days a week x 52.

smorin2
12-24-2015, 04:09 PM
I've been using a Wright brothers Predator pancake holster for about a year now,very pleased with this one.

white eagle
12-24-2015, 04:57 PM
I have used quite a few that were supposed to be comfortable
that were anything but.I buy most all my gun leather from El Paso Saddlery
as well,they have a iwb that is the most comfortable I have found.Carry a
full size 1911 Sig

Markbo
12-26-2015, 01:51 AM
M1911s are for OPEN carry.

Glocks are for CONCEALED carry -- because they are just so damn ugly no one would actually want to be SEEN carrying one of them. :)

Regardless, I prefer a minimalist leather OWB holster for M1911s. But, then again, I'm not carrying some sort of high end safe queen where a couple of scratches on the barrel is going to make a difference.

Something along this line:

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/lgprod/ZAP-200.jpg

No offense but I think the Vet got let out on a medical discharge. Mental disorder doncha know. :D
1911s are for concealed carry. That is why Commanders are perfect. I carry mine most recently in a Blackpoint Tactical hybrid. I dont like the huge leather slabs of most hybrids but this one is very minimalist. Like most I have at least 1/2 dozen holsters just for the 1911...not even counting other carry guns. Because in the end you cannot know until you try it for a length of time

Blackwater
12-26-2015, 10:09 AM
All good recommendations, but one thing I left out is that with IWB holsters, and to an extent with the OWB types, those with the belt clip back toward the butt of the gun help keep the butt tucked in close to the body, and aid in concealment. This makes it more important that you practice your draw, since a butt that sticks out more is easier/quicker to grab, but it CAN be done with a little practice to develop your muscle memory. The Askins Avenger type is OWB, but the loop is arranged so that it also tucks that butt in better than most holsters. This can be really a big difference in how they "print", or whether thy "print" under a light jacket or suit coat. Holsters and mode of carry are always a compromise of sorts, and only you can decide what you need most. I just like better concealment, but I've trained myself for the tucked in grip, and when carrying, usually carry the Kimber Lwt. Commander with the shortened butt and 4" barrel. Whatever you get, be SURE you get acclimated to it and conditioned to the necessary movements for the draw. When you really NEED it is no time to have to re-learn this stuff. There's just no room for error when that comes along. Hope this helps.