PDA

View Full Version : What did I just buy? Hollywood press

historicfirearms
12-22-2015, 05:17 PM
I saw this old press last week in a local gunshop I don't frequently visit because the owner is, shall we say, eccentric. One of my good friends got banned from this store for asking about a price on some lead ingots. Anyway, he often has some cool gear and this was no exception. Laying on a dusty table with some other reloading gear was this old Hollywood Gunshop reloading press. It came with a priming post and six shell holders, none of which fit anything I currently reload. Couple questions, where can I find shellholders, and is there a list of what number shellholders fit what casing? Also, I think this is a Hollywood "Senior" press, but can anyone correct me if I am wrong? It is all cast Iron. Finally, does the handle come off easily? I don't want to reef on it too hard to try to get it off before I know for sure it screws out. It would be convenient if I could remove the handle when I am not using the press.156195156196156197

TNsailorman
12-22-2015, 06:34 PM
I am far from a Hollywood press expert but looking at the pictures, it looks (my eyes are not as good as they once were, so I'm not really sure) as if the rod that goes through the bottom operating bar has a "c" clip washer on it. If so, you could probably remover it and the rod would slide out toward the opposite end and release the handle as well as the levers that operates the press. The old C-H 3 stage presses were set up similar to that system. AS for shell holders, I see them all the time on ebay but they tend to be a little on the expensive side. A real expert with more knowledge should chime in soon. james

Kevin Rohrer
12-22-2015, 08:05 PM
It's a Senior.

You can get Hollywood-type shell holders on Ebay. They have the caliber name faintly etched on them, but early Handloader Digests had charts listing the shell holder numbers when they were stamped on them instead of etched. I have lots of these shell holders, and don't believe I own any with anything except etchings. Oh, and most calibers are based on a few cartridge heads, so the ones you have may work with more calibers than you think.

You can get a universal adapter from Ebay or CH4D for a few bucks, which will allow you to use standard RCBS-type shell holders with it.

New or used primer arms can be bought on Ebay.

Re: Removing the handle.
Remove one of the C-clips, then take a long punch and drive-out the post that runs thru the center. The post secures the arm into the cylinder. Once the post is out, you can easily pull-out the arm. If it gets too rough trying to drive-out the post, turn the press on its side, spray some PB Blaster (super penetrative lubricant) into both ends and let it set for a couple days. The post can then be removed much easier. The post is probably fluted, so you will have to be careful driving it back in.

As for lubing and rust-prevention, my preference is Breakfree, but any penetrative lubricant will work.

Let us know if you need any other info.

Mine:

That red rubber handle came from CH4D. I had to sweat it on with a hair-dryer, and does an great job of protecting the bare metal I cold-blued.

LUBEDUDE
12-23-2015, 03:10 PM
You have a nice press there HF. If kept dirt and rust free it will last a lifetime, and your kids and.....?

seagiant
12-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Hi,
Looks like a (short) Senior.

I've got one just like it, but can't say wht I paid for it at a Gun Show!

Lube Dude will call me nasty names!

Oh yea be careful taking the center rod out to get the handle off!

They CAN be hard to get out!

Don't ask me how I know this!

historicfirearms
12-23-2015, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I just spent an hour cleaning all the old dried lube off from it. This thing is smoooooth! I am loving it. I do have maybe a dumb question, what is the extra hole in the very top center of the press head? A standard die threads in so maybe it's just for die storage?

Anyway, I think I have found a real gem. My only problem is now I am running out of bench space. Maybe I could get buy with just one Rock Chucker mounted up to make room for my new (old) press.

LUBEDUDE
12-23-2015, 05:59 PM
I know nothing about Mills and lathes. Pressman mentioned a few years back that the extra hole was for tooling being a one (?) piece press if I remember correctly. And the 7/8 x 14 hole was an added bonus.

LUBEDUDE
12-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Hi,
Looks like a (short).............. but can't say wht I paid for it at a Gun Show!

Lube Dude will call me nasty names!

Hey Buddy, if I remember right, it was $10.

Yeah that's a hard pill for me to swallow. :)

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/23/86c97863ead1b4ab3a8f52de7d162879.jpg

Kevin Rohrer
12-23-2015, 07:21 PM
I do have maybe a dumb question, what is the extra hole in the very top center of the press head? A standard die threads in so maybe it's just for die storage?

My understanding that it was used to mount a powder measure on an arm that screwed into the press. Pretty convenient.

seagiant
12-23-2015, 08:09 PM
Hi,
Yep!

The man said,"$10!

Everything went to "slo-mo" like an acid trip, and I couldn't find my wallet! Ha!

historicfirearms
12-23-2015, 08:30 PM
Going through the box of stuff I got with the press, I can't figure out what two things are. They are the two pieces on the right in this photo. Maybe just extra junk...?

historicfirearms
12-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I paid $150 for mine with the shellholders and I am happy. A $10 deal would have been nirvana.

LUBEDUDE
12-23-2015, 09:00 PM
My understanding that it was used to mount a powder measure on an arm that screwed into the press. Pretty convenient.

Yeah they did use it for that. I was just posting what Pressman said.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/23/80d4d2015298471d740282d0eea2bfa5.jpg

seagiant
12-23-2015, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I paid $150 for mine with the shellholders and I am happy. A $10 deal would have been nirvana.

Hi,
You stole it!!!!

ReloaderFred
12-23-2015, 11:51 PM
My used Hollywood Senior that I started reloading with was $25.00, including a set of Hollywood .30-06 dies, primer post and shellholder. Bought it from one of my college professors in 1963, and still using it.

I paid ten times that for my big Hollywood Senior a couple of years ago from a fellow forum member, and it was still worth it...

Hope this helps.

Fred

seagiant
12-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Hi,
Hey Lube, I like that Hollywood Shotgun Setup with the double powder measures, I assume one is for shot???

I have a Tall Aluminum Senior that would probably be nice for that!

LUBEDUDE
12-24-2015, 01:52 AM
Hi,
Hey Lube, I like that Hollywood Shotgun Setup with the double powder measures, I assume one is for shot???

I have a Tall Aluminum Senior that would probably be nice for that!

Yes, one is shot, the other is powder.

That pic is of an aluminum "middleboy". Hollywood made that press taller and changed the threads to 1.5 x 12 specifically for shotgun and big game cartridges while still being able to do the same operations as the original short senior.

That would include swaging since the links had the shortening holes in the links. But I wonder if that aluminum alloy could really hold up to swaging day in and day out. Hollywood did claim that their aluminum alloy was mega strong.

After the the Middleboy came the Tallboy like Fred's with the swage bar and cast iron/steel frame as well as being even taller and much more heavier. (Tallboy and Middleboy are my terms, not the factory)
All aluminum Seniors are the Middleboy height wise.

Tallboy

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/23/5265811a5d02319fa843c7c8eb029787.jpg

seagiant
12-24-2015, 07:42 AM
Hi,
Hmmm...I'll have to look at the threads on mine when I get home.

I assume I can pull the bushing and the shotgun dies would work, but I don't know?

Thanks for the education!

historicfirearms
12-24-2015, 09:23 AM
So the extra holes in the likages are for swaging? I was wondering what those were. Maybe those extra pieces I got in the box are something for swaging.

rush1886
12-24-2015, 09:41 AM
Just throwing out a wild guess here. Of the 2 "extra pieces", the one on the left in the photo, looks very much like a temperature well, for a thermocouple. Neither piece may be pertinent to the press, in the long run.

Dakooz
12-24-2015, 11:10 AM
Not familiar with these presses but they appears to be built like a tank...

LUBEDUDE
12-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Hi,
Hmmm...I'll have to look at the threads on mine when I get home.

I assume I can pull the bushing and the shotgun dies would work, but I don't know?

Thanks for the education!

Yes, pull the front bushing adaptor and 1.5 x 12 dies will fit.

The rear bushing adaptor is set up to take a 5/8 in, 9/16 (???) bolt for the purpose of holding the flat plate that houses twin measures.

seagiant
12-24-2015, 10:33 PM
Yes, pull the front bushing adaptor and 1.5 x 12 dies will fit.

The rear bushing adaptor is set up to take a 5/8 in, 9/16 (???) bolt for the purpose of holding the flat plate that houses twin measures.

Hi,
Thanks, just something I'm looking at!

With my CH Champion doing the heavy work thought the Alum. Senior would be fun loading shotshells!