PDA

View Full Version : My lube sizer heater!

FergusonTO35
12-22-2015, 03:46 PM
Deleted.

Yodogsandman
12-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Can't see it, there's a lantern in the way!

rancher1913
12-22-2015, 05:07 PM
man you like to live dangerously don't you :shock:

FergusonTO35
12-22-2015, 07:34 PM
How is it more dangerous than other methods of heating lube? Many people use electric elements that get much hotter than this setup.

mold maker
12-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Bet you chewing gum is soft too.

FergusonTO35
12-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I guess it would be. That tin is what I store my muzzleloader boolits in.

rodsvet
12-22-2015, 08:02 PM
I like it! Keeps your hands warm while you work.

daniel lawecki
12-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Are you trying to get a new house?

FergusonTO35
12-22-2015, 09:33 PM
Thanks Rodsvet, yes it does produce just enough heat to warm your hands.

Everybody who thinks my set up is a fire hazard, how is this any worse than an electric element from Lyman or RCBS that sandwiches between the sizer and counter top? Kerosene lanterns don't produce that much heat, not like a Coleman type pressure lantern does. I have set my lube on fire more than once with a hot plate. That has never happened with this setup, and just to be clear I am always in the room when heating it.

I just thought I would share an idea that works well for me. If the consensus is that this is poor practice I'll delete it.

waarp8nt
12-22-2015, 10:03 PM
I have no opinion on whether you stand a chance of burning your house down. But, I am curious. Wrigley's and Hoppes giving you royalties for the product drops in your picture? :bigsmyl2: I can see it

now...this thread brought to you by Wrigley's Spearmint Gum...

truckerdave397
12-22-2015, 10:08 PM
I once saw a sizer with a candle burning under it. I thought that was interesting.

kenyerian
12-22-2015, 10:20 PM
Didn't a lantern burn down Chicago ? LOL Actually we used to use Lanterns to heat our ice fishing shanties, warm our Hands night hunting and cat fishing. Just have to be careful.

birddog
12-22-2015, 10:39 PM
More electrical fires than that of gas lanterns UNLESS your Amish!!!! LOL
I'd make sure I had fresh air coming in somewhere!
Charlie

geezer56
12-23-2015, 06:09 AM
My lube sizer heater is a foot square piece of 5/8" thick Aluminum plate. Sandwich it between the Lyman and the bench. Take the yard sale $2 clothes iron, set it on the plate, plug it in and select the appropriate setting on the heat. Works like a charm.

6bg6ga
12-23-2015, 08:50 AM
You would really have something there if you could heat your lube and cook your dinner at the same time.:shock:

6bg6ga
12-23-2015, 08:53 AM
Thanks Rodsvet, yes it does produce just enough heat to warm your hands.

Everybody who thinks my set up is a fire hazard, how is this any worse than an electric element from Lyman or RCBS that sandwiches between the sizer and counter top? Kerosene lanterns don't produce that much heat, not like a Coleman type pressure lantern does. I have set my lube on fire more than once with a hot plate. That has never happened with this setup, and just to be clear I am always in the room when heating it.

I just thought I would share an idea that works well for me. If the consensus is that this is poor practice I'll delete it.

Dude, I thought you were kidding. In reality its poor practice. When I had this type of heater in the 80's I used a heat lamp that I hung above the sizer. It heated the lube just right and warmed me in the process and was far less dangerous. Buy yourself a real heater of some type. The plate heaters work fine and if you check the forum threads you will find something cost effective that will work.

Uncle R.
12-23-2015, 09:22 AM
The part that looks scary to me is the way the lantern base hangs over the edge of that shelf.
I'd want to see it supported very well if I were using a lantern like that.
Other than that - size on!
I wouldn't leave that setup unattended but if you're actually using the sizer I don't see how it could get hot enough to be dangerous without you becoming aware of the problem.

Uncle R.

FergusonTO35
12-23-2015, 09:34 AM
The mounting bolts for the sizer extend down quite a bit below the top of the lantern, it would take a pretty good push to knock the lantern on to the floor.

I think by posting this I stepped in a big cow pie. Mods, please delete this thread.

rancher1913
12-23-2015, 05:57 PM
fergusonto35, don't delete it. I think its a tad scary to have an open flame around primers and powder but didn't see any so was just making a random comment. don't ever be ashamed for showing something that works for you, somebody else might be in your shoes and the idea could make their day. there will always be naysayers, but even a bad idea could trigger a great idea for somebody else.

ps not saying it was bad just scary, but there are a lot of folks that think its scary to have a wood stove in their house, just saying8-)

runfiverun
12-24-2015, 03:02 AM
by a lot of folks he means insurance company's.

Retumbo
12-24-2015, 07:21 AM
Don't let the internet minions get to you.

rush1886
12-24-2015, 09:19 AM
For Pete's Sake Guys--it's a kerosene lantern! Not like it's a coleman or propane. Kerosene burners won't get the bench and such any where near as warm as a coleman.

Normal caution and attention are fully warranted, but gosh dang it, a fellers gotta do what a fellers gotta do!

Size on Partner!

TenTea
12-24-2015, 09:28 AM
Keep the home fires burning...

...wait, that didn't come out right! :kidding: