PDA

View Full Version : rifle bullet hollow pointer

Don Fischer
12-22-2015, 02:01 PM
Recently ordered a hollow pointer for rifle bullet's. The site, I think it was Lyman, claimed the 1/16" was for rifle's and 1/8" for handguns. Probably be here right after Christmas. 1/16" sounded like it was pretty small so I experimented making a HP by hand. Used a bullet I hadn't put a gas check on yet. The color is liquid alox. First I drew the tip over a file and got a flat spot to work with. Then took a 1/16" bit in a drill and drilled a hole in the center of the flat. Looked at it and it did look awful small to me. So, I got out a 1/8" bit and using the 11/16" hole for a guide, drilled a new hole, Might be 1/4" deep or just a bit less. Still didn't look right to me so I got out a tool I made for inside reaming flash hole's. 3/16" drill bit glued into a wood handle. Couple twist's and was left with a HP I like except the edge was sharp. Drew the bullet nose over the file again and got a small flat all around the HP. Now, is this HP to big, will expansion be to violent? Gonna do a few when the new KP tool get's here and fire then into a dirt bank at see what happens.

Looking at these, the bottom of the HP is above the place where the shoulder and shank of the bullet meet. I should add, the 3/16" hole use's only the tip of the bit so the wall of the HP slant's into nothing at the bottom of the HP.

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r706/fischerantlp/045b398c-7a55-4fca-96ea-06e7be87e1ab_zps0reoasg4.jpg

12-22-2015, 02:20 PM
Might try a centering bit from machinist. Drills a narrow hole followed by a widening cup. Good HP profile.

W.R.Buchanan
12-22-2015, 04:42 PM
The size of the hole directly relates to how fast the boolit is ran. Faster the boolit the smaller the hole.

Experimentation is a good thing, but try wet Newspaper rather than Dirt.

Randy

TNsailorman
12-27-2015, 05:51 PM
At one time, my buddy and I would shoot "may apples" to test bullet performance. They were about the size of a medium sized cantaloupe and the best part --they were free. We could pick them up by the bag full along creeks here in east Tennessee. Hit dead center and they would simply explode into small pieces and flying water. Those were the good old days. I don't know the correct name for them. We had our own language.

rondog
12-27-2015, 05:57 PM
At one time, my buddy and I would shoot "may apples" to test bullet performance. They were about the size of a medium sized cantaloupe and the best part --they were free. We could pick them up by the bag full along creeks here in east Tennessee. Hit dead center and they would simply explode into small pieces and flying water. Those were the good old days. I don't know the correct name for them. We had our own language.

"Hedge apples" where I come from. About the size of a softball, green, very wrinkly. Useless except as targets.

williamwaco
12-27-2015, 06:37 PM
They come from the Bois d'arc tree. Prized for fence posts because the wood rots very slowly and the posts will last twice as long as an oak post.
The American Indians used them for making bows.
When I was a kid, the only way to get a good bow was to make it yourself. We didn't have sporting goods stores.
The craftsmen that made them for others always charged extra for a bow made from this wood.

We call them horse apples. ( No horses do not eat them either. )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

williamwaco
12-27-2015, 06:44 PM
Recently ordered a hollow pointer for rifle bullet's. The site, I think it was Lyman, claimed the 1/16" was for rifle's and 1/8" for handguns. Probably be here right after Christmas. 1/16" sounded like it was pretty small so I experimented making a HP by hand. Used a bullet I hadn't put a gas check on yet. The color is liquid alox. First I drew the tip over a file and got a flat spot to work with. Then took a 1/16" bit in a drill and drilled a hole in the center of the flat. Looked at it and it did look awful small to me. So, I got out a 1/8" bit and using the 11/16" hole for a guide, drilled a new hole, Might be 1/4" deep or just a bit less. Still didn't look right to me so I got out a tool I made for inside reaming flash hole's. 3/16" drill bit glued into a wood handle. Couple twist's and was left with a HP I like except the edge was sharp. Drew the bullet nose over the file again and got a small flat all around the HP. Now, is this HP to big, will expansion be to violent? Gonna do a few when the new KP tool get's here and fire then into a dirt bank at see what happens.

Looking at these, the bottom of the HP is above the place where the shoulder and shank of the bullet meet. I should add, the 3/16" hole use's only the tip of the bit so the wall of the HP slant's into nothing at the bottom of the HP.

http://i1363.photobucket.com/albums/r706/fischerantlp/045b398c-7a55-4fca-96ea-06e7be87e1ab_zps0reoasg4.jpg

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.forsterproducts.com/product-category/reloading-tools/case-trimmers/classic-case-trimmer-accessories/hollow-pointer/

If so, you are not using it correctly.

See: for more info:

http://www.forsterproducts.com/product-category/reloading-tools/case-trimmers/original-case-trimmer-accessories/

Larry Gibson
12-27-2015, 08:14 PM
Don

I use both the Forster HP tools. I use the 1/8" for 30 cal and larger rifle cast bullets. I also use in on a couple 7mm cast bullets. I've been using the Forster HP tools for years with complete success. I do use a center drill with a 1/8" pilot to enlarge and open the HP mouth on some softer cast lower velocity cast bullets, especially on handgun cartridges. I've found through practical use the center drill isn't necessary for use on cast bullets in CF rifles above 1600 fps. Pics are some 30 Carbine, 35 Remington and 45 ACP done with the Forster and the center drill.

Larry Gibson

Don Fischer
01-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Don

I use both the Forster HP tools. I use the 1/8" for 30 cal and larger rifle cast bullets. I also use in on a couple 7mm cast bullets. I've been using the Forster HP tools for years with complete success. I do use a center drill with a 1/8" pilot to enlarge and open the HP mouth on some softer cast lower velocity cast bullets, especially on handgun cartridges. I've found through practical use the center drill isn't necessary for use on cast bullets in CF rifles above 1600 fps. Pics are some 30 Carbine, 35 Remington and 45 ACP done with the Forster and the center drill.

Larry Gibson

Under the three bullet's on the right, is that the center center drill? I made mine long ago, a drill bit glued into a wood handle that I made for de-burring the inside of flash holes. You get a stepper bevel than I do, like that.

Edward
01-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Osage orange is what they are.

Larry Gibson
01-06-2016, 01:37 AM
Under the three bullet's on the right, is that the center center drill? I made mine long ago, a drill bit glued into a wood handle that I made for de-burring the inside of flash holes. You get a stepper bevel than I do, like that.

No, the center 45 APP was HP'd with 1/8" Forster tool. After initial HPing them with the Forster I then open up the HP with the center drill, either by hand or preferably with my drill press. The pilot drill on the center drill is 1/8" also so it centers in the Forster HP.

Larry Gibson

W.R.Buchanan
01-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Normal Center drills are 60 degrees and were originally designed to ride on a Lathe Center and have a small reservoir for oil in the end.

Center drills are also available in 90 degree versions and are used for spotting holes with a pre-chamfer or spotting holes for a tapping operation.

In both cases it eliminates one step in the process by putting a chamfer on the hole before the hole is actually drilled to size. The preferred method of tapping calls for the chamfer to be there first before you tap the hole. That way you don't goon the lead thread when you chamfer the hole after the fact.

I use them all the time, and they could provide an alternative angle for your HP-ing process.

Randy

Hardcast416taylor
01-06-2016, 09:58 PM
I recall them being called `May Apples` up here by my Dad back in the mid part of the last century.Robert

OnHoPr
01-07-2016, 05:20 AM
"Hedge apples" where I come from. About the size of a softball, green, very wrinkly. Useless except as targets.

Put a few around the house in inconspicuous places and they will keep the spiders at bay in the home.