PDA

View Full Version : Wood working

Blammer
12-21-2015, 09:47 PM
Ok, my dad likes to piddle around in his shop and does various things with wood. Mostly making shelves, head boards, toy boxes etc....

He built all of his grandchildren a very nice toy box. (3 grand kids) so he has some skill with wood working.

I wanted to get him a subscription to a wood working magazine that my have ideas and skill level of things that are not too advanced but fun to read.

Anyone here have any experience on what magazine to recommend?

bangerjim
12-21-2015, 10:11 PM
WOOD

SHOP NOTES

are a couple I use and have 20+ year libraries of!

banger

Plate plinker
12-21-2015, 10:19 PM
The old man gets wordsmith. Seems to be a source for projects of all skill levels. Might be a sister publication to Shop Notes that BANGERJIM noted.

sparky45
12-21-2015, 10:23 PM
Fine Woodworking, full of tips and ideas for all levels of woodworking achievement.
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/56997/two-ways-to-build-a-box
This is an example.

Bazoo
12-21-2015, 10:35 PM
I second wood magazine.

retread
12-21-2015, 10:54 PM
WOOD

SHOP NOTES

are a couple I use and have 20+ year libraries of!

banger

My thoughts exactly. I have subscribed to both for years.

Blammer
12-21-2015, 11:30 PM
thanks guys! Got a subscription to Wood Magazine. I'm sure he'll like it!

Wayne Smith
12-23-2015, 08:38 AM
Fine Woodworking is eye candy, seldom do they have projects that I can do in my garage. Wood magazine has lots of stuff I can do and full plans and explanations.

bangerjim
12-23-2015, 12:04 PM
I totally agree! Fine Woodworking is a glossy high-end magazine 90% of which most average woodworkers can and will never use. It is like looking thru an art magazine or a book of auction items from Sotheby's! Cool looking but way out of reach.

I subscribed to it years ago and never saw ONE single usable project in it. I totally HATE modern design furniture! Leave that to IKEA and Euro-import stores.

Wood and ShopNotes has down-to-earth tips, projects, and jigs most woodworkers can and will use. Wood's negative points are all the blasted ads!!!!!!!

banger

waksupi
12-23-2015, 04:29 PM
Not a magazine, but Roy Underhill has some books out. They are entertaining, and have some good early American projects that are simple to do.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=roy+underhill&sprefix=roy+underhill%2Caps%2C679

shooter93
12-23-2015, 07:18 PM
Too late now but Woodsmith would be perfect. No doubt the most detail providing magazine out there. with projects for every level. Drawings, dimensions, cut lists and even places to buy the hardware etc.

Blammer
12-23-2015, 09:46 PM
well his birthday will be in about 6 months... :)

TreeKiller
12-25-2015, 01:02 AM
Too late now but Woodsmith would be perfect. No doubt the most detail providing magazine out there. with projects for every level. Drawings, dimensions, cut lists and even places to buy the hardware etc.
I second this I think you can go to there web site and look at the projects at buy a mag and look at it. It is a bi-monthly mag. No adds in it. I have all of them from #1.