PDA

View Full Version : Boolit deisgn for BFR 30-30

rockrat
12-20-2015, 04:47 PM
Trying to come up with a design for my BFR. Thing has a 3" cylinder length and I would like the boolit to be entering the forcing cone of the barrel shortly after leaving the case.

I have been thinking of a design like the 311440 boolit, but with a longer nose. So as to start engraving or at least be supported by the bore. .301" dia nose vs. .308" dia nose? Possibly longer body and the same nose length as the 311440.

Another idea is like a 30-165 sil. with a really long nose and a shorter body in the case. .301" vs .308" nose also.

Do I want the nose just guided by the bore, or do I want it full groove diameter.

As is, most designs are traveling down the cylinder throat a ways before entering the forcing cone.

Best shooting designs have been the 311440 and the Saeco 315, so far.

Ideas?

44man
12-20-2015, 07:32 PM
Not important to be close. Fit to cylinder throats and groove still important of course but I found no need to reduce jump in my 45-70. My boolit is a long way from the cone.
If I can sell my Browning BPCR, I want the BFR in 30-30.

Wis. Tom
12-23-2015, 12:24 AM
I am having major problems with my BFR 30/30 locking up with certain brass. The primer binds after I shoot that round and it won't let me cock the hammer. I have now switched to setting my primers with my press and only reloading Winchester brass. It seems to do this with different loads, powders, and both cast or Hornady bullets. I am still testing different things, but I was told that I was using too light of load, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Anyone else have this problem?

44man
12-23-2015, 10:53 AM
A light load will not let the brass go back and re-seat the primer. All primers in every caliber will back out first.
Two things to try, test the Fed 155 primer and replace the hammer spring with a stronger Wolfe variable. LP needs 26# and LR should have a 28#.
The BFR has a Ruger spring and I bet it is 23# or less. I swap out EVERY SA spring before anything.

Ramjet-SS
12-23-2015, 06:05 PM
I have BFR what I found is CCI large rifle works better than any other primer. I also have the Lyman case prep machine and uniform the primer pockets and debur them as well as clean them. When I do this I do not have the issue you described with any brass except those that have been run through a lever gun and had the extractor damage the rim some. The damaged rim will push the cartridge back and not allow it to seat properly.

As far as cast bullets I have had excellent luck with the Accurate mold dropping a 170 grain WFN GC loaded over healthy dose of LeverRevolution getting on the high side of 1800 FPS.

saleen322
12-23-2015, 07:19 PM
I have had good luck with the RCBS 150 FPGC in my 340 savage. I would guess that the overall length would work well in the revolver.

Wis. Tom
12-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Thank you for the help. So far, I have paid special attention to deburing the primer hole, I took the case trim size down to 2.029, from 2.039, and didn't use the brass that I shot from my Savage 1899 or my 99. I loaded up 20 using 150 gr. 30 cal .308 SST #30302 with 34.2 H-Varget, and 20 using the 150 gr, Interlock RN with 31.5 grains of IMR 4064, and no lock-up's. I used CCI LR primers and good, so far. I had called Magnum Research, and their advise was, don't shoot reloads. LOL. Thanks again, and will now go to the cast next.

Ramjet-SS
12-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Primer hole depth uniforming tool is important it makes sure the depth of each primer pocket is equal.

44man
12-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Primer hole depth uniforming tool is important it makes sure the depth of each primer pocket is equal.
True and always a good practice. But you must understand the pressures through the flash hole that will force a primer back hard enough to send a hammer to near full cock. Does no harm as long as a cylinder stays locked. Then the brass expansion must re seat the primer and then shrink enough so head space is back. Every primer in every gun will move to fill the head space first. Videos and pictures bear this out and I call it hammer bounce.
The worst was the S&W .500. The cylinder stop had too weak a spring and stop inertia was enough to unlock the cylinder, then torque spun the cylinder backwards and if there was a live round under the hammer, It fired again while up in recoil.
There was even trouble with some 29's that would click on an empty chamber for the next shot. I have fired brass here with double strikes on primers and even out on the case head. The cylinder turned enough so the next shot just re indexed the already fired chamber. It is why I say to limit boolit weight in a 29 to reduce recoil inertia.