PDA

View Full Version : Nose down Mr. Bulletfeeder to Starsizer

Doublej
12-20-2015, 03:36 PM
I thought some of you might be interested in a solution I came up with to accomplish this. I used a piece of cutting board and dremeled it out. It works basically flawless if the powder coating of the bullets is nice and uniform. I sometimes have a problem of excess powder coating from the bullets sticking together and making a little bur when pulled apart. This usually only gets caught up in the stargazer feeder tube and not the mr. bulletfeeder. If someone could do this with a 3d printer it would be much nicer!!!. Anyways its proof of concept and plan to use it till Mr. bulletfeeder comes out with the official nose down adapter. Please let me know if you have any questions.
https://youtu.be/tRHdEzsmwGc

John

Doublej
12-20-2015, 03:40 PM
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz54/doublejj0305/IMG_1933.jpg (http://s813.photobucket.com/user/doublejj0305/media/IMG_1933.jpg.html)
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz54/doublejj0305/IMG_1932.jpg (http://s813.photobucket.com/user/doublejj0305/media/IMG_1932.jpg.html)
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz54/doublejj0305/IMG_1931.jpg (http://s813.photobucket.com/user/doublejj0305/media/IMG_1931.jpg.html)

ReloaderFred
12-20-2015, 04:02 PM
The attachment links don't work, and I don't know how to fix them.

Fred

MrWolf
12-20-2015, 05:01 PM
I can't see them either.

Doublej
12-20-2015, 05:06 PM
I'll try to figure out a hosting solution to post them, it a close up shot of the cutting board. Does the YouTube video work?

warpspeed
12-20-2015, 05:09 PM
Does the YouTube video work?

Yes it does.

AbitNutz
12-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Works for me and it is cool!

rancher1913
12-21-2015, 01:17 PM
that is really cool. my first thought upon seeing the photo of the part was that's pretty rinkydink, but man does it ever work slick. thanks for sharing that.

hay smoke4320 are you seeing an opportunity here for your 3d printer.

Doublej
12-21-2015, 02:25 PM
The idea behind it being two parts is in theory could use different bullet sizes using a different size "shim". I only load 9mm on it so I'm not sure how 45 would work.

Doublej
12-21-2015, 02:27 PM
If made on a 3D printer you could also attach the drop tube to the actual shim

jmorris
12-21-2015, 05:12 PM
Looks like a winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRHdEzsmwGc&feature=youtu.be

EMC45
12-23-2015, 12:37 PM
I can watch the video all day long. I really like the spring steel "Kicker" that boots the bullets that ride on top out of the way. The whole set up is slick and ingenious.

Doublej
12-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Can't take credit for the kicker, that is all part of the Mr. bulletfeeder design which is meant to feed bullets base down. I only made that little shim and moved the bullet catch over to the other side.
t

Dusty1234
12-26-2015, 10:26 AM
That is awesome!!

Humbo
01-15-2016, 09:22 PM
Isn't there anyone else who could machine those modified nose down guides? It looks like a pretty simple design, I have some pretty detailed photos of it. Need to ask Rick for permission before posting them I guess.

kayak1
01-16-2016, 03:38 PM
Isn't there anyone else who could machine those modified nose down guides? It looks like a pretty simple design, I have some pretty detailed photos of it. Need to ask Rick for permission before posting them I guess.

I am sure that many of us would be glad to give Rick his cut just to be able to get them in our hands....

Humbo
01-16-2016, 03:41 PM
I am sure that many of us would be glad to give Rick his cut just to be able to get them in our hands....

No doubt! From what I can see, the conversion seems to work flawlessly, so I don't really understand why it isn't out yet.

woodbutcher
01-16-2016, 09:54 PM
;) Me thinks that that cutting board material could be machined with a router with carbide bits very easily.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

jmorris
01-17-2016, 11:04 AM

I suppose there is a chance he doesn't have a patent on a nose down modification yet.

finishman2000
01-22-2016, 12:44 PM
I talked to owner of Double Alpha at the SHOT Show for about 5 minutes. He said that there are some testers out there with nose down units and that it is easy and only needed a new "plastic piece" to make his unit do it. I said so We will be seeing this soon so it's so easy. He kinda smiled and said that it won't be soon. I thanked him for his time, went 6 booths over and ordered the other guys bullet feeder who spent 5 minutes with me we figured out how to do both types of feed with his. Once I get it up and running I will start a spate post on it.

Pee Wee
01-22-2016, 01:06 PM
I talked to owner of Double Alpha at the SHOT Show for about 5 minutes. He said that there are some testers out there with nose down units and that it is easy and only needed a new "plastic piece" to make his unit do it. I said so We will be seeing this soon so it's so easy. He kinda smiled and said that it won't be soon. I thanked him for his time, went 6 booths over and ordered the other guys bullet feeder who spent 5 minutes with me we figured out how to do both types of feed with his. Once I get it up and running I will start a spate post on it.
I am looking forward to that.
Thanks

jroc
01-22-2016, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately I'll bet the other guys was quite a bit more money wasn't it?

finishman2000
01-22-2016, 06:05 PM
actually I was surprised at the price and told the owner of gsi so. it was lower than it was. I won't say what the gsi dealer cost is but evenat retail is better than ever. I got the 9mm/38 setup with a 45acp conversion and if it woeks on my ballisticast sizer it will be a bargain. check it out and i'll bet you'll be surprised as well.

VHoward
01-22-2016, 06:13 PM
Never did get the GSI collator to work with cast bullets. The owner of GSI gave me a full refund after spending a bit of time with me trying to figure it out. the feed wheel kept jamming up.

finishman2000
01-22-2016, 07:47 PM
the design has changed slightly and he says it works with cast now. his site still shows the old design and not the one I saw at shot.

Humbo
02-02-2016, 09:14 AM
I did some tinkering with the nose down conversion for the Mr. B, seems to work nicely. Just need to make a plug for the base down hole, and I'm all set.
Did anyone have any luck feeding SWC's nose down? I'm having some trouble with the Lee .358 105 SWC, the nose seems too short too feed reliably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsOlkRDFfXM

oteroman
01-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Anybody making these inserts?

hunter74
01-13-2018, 04:23 PM
I can chime in with my experience with collating the Magma 105 swc boolit.....

In my experience all short boolits are a PITA to get to collate reliably. That's the case with the 105 swc also. I use the MA systems collator for my Bullet Master and when I get it set up and adjustes as god as possible I prefer to run big batches because the adjustments and stuck boolits are a hair pulling experience.

If you get the angle of the bowl, speed, wipers and the screws adjusting the blades lifting the boolits just right, you still get stuck boolits in the drop shoot and some boolits drop base down!

I've pretty much giving up on getting theese to collate perfectly and only run the bowl when eyeballing the drum.

I've actually been thinking about buying a dedicated collator bowl just for theese boolits. It may be worth it if it ever would be adjusted perfectly.

Sent fra min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

CGT80
01-13-2018, 09:15 PM
I just did a conversion for my Mr. Bullet feeder.

https://youtu.be/1k9M_oyKS8Q?t=30s

So far, I have only run this NOE 40 cal 160 RN through the collator. It was a bit of a pain to make the plate and the new mount for the drop tube. I used a die grinder to open up the hole that was already there. It had to be moved up and part way into the adjusting slot that is used for running the feeder on a press. The original drop tube had a big funnel bored in it and the boolits would drop in and turn side ways. I turned a new drop tube with a hole that was just under half an inch in diameter, without a funnel. The bottom end was bored 9/16" to accept the spring. The OD is 1" and I used a 1" annular cutter to cut the hole in the white plastic. Two 8-32 screws hold it to the bottom of the collator. After adjusting the little feed plate and taping it in place, I drilled and tapped the larger white block and screwed the two together. That little plate was made, trial and error, with the die grinder. My first try worked, but it wasn't as long as needed and didn't sit down in the feeder slot as far as I wanted.

The other boolit I will try is an NOE 9mm 125 TC. I haven't cast those yet.

The design of the Mr. bullet feeder, with the 4" plumbing elbow, made it challenging to mount the larger white plastic. Without making a part in CAD, the little plate is trial and error. Unfortunately, cnc plasma doesn't help for plastic parts, although I could set it up with a spindle. My brother will be getting a professional size cnc milling machine in the next few weeks, so I might have the capability to make accurate parts on the mill. I have no idea why Rick didn't get conversion kits out for the mr bullet feeder, unless it has to do with patents. It shouldn't be hard with cad and cnc equipment.

oteroman
01-13-2018, 09:39 PM
Sound great. Can you post pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark2215
01-19-2018, 12:03 PM
I made an adapter yesterday. I used a scrap of 3/4" pvc trim board. I just traced it out, cut the basic shape, and started carving the holes until it worked, removing a little at a time as I tested it.

So far I've tested 45, 9mm, and 380. It does not work on semi wadcutters. It works great on the 45 and 9 RN and FN. It did not work on the 380 but that's more an issue with the Mr. Bulletfeeder, the tiny bullets would fall into the rotating wheel sideways and get jammed, not a fault of my adapter.

I used the same 3/4" material to make a plug for the original output hole. I drilled a new output hole in the bottom of the adapter. The electrical tape is there because the hole was a bit too big leaving the output tube loose. It's snug now and works perfect.

Ausglock
01-19-2018, 03:56 PM
I have had a nosedown Mr. bullet feeder running for over 2 years, feeding my sizer. does everything from 105SWC 9mm up to 300gn 45 and all inbetween.
Here it is in action doing 150gn RN 9mm.

Replaced the factory 12 volt power supply and controller for a 19volt NEC laptop power unit and a speed controller from eBay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co6h-iTHjP0

Mark2215
01-19-2018, 04:09 PM
How do you prevent the SWC from getting caught on the flat surrounding the nose and going past the hole?

Ausglock
01-20-2018, 12:09 AM
I use a small drop tube that comes right up to the bottom of the drop plate and run the unit at full speed. The SWC shoulder doesn't have time to hang up.