PDA

View Full Version : vaquero frustration

bigted
12-19-2015, 07:05 PM
well I posted this in the gunsmithing area but thought id post here as well so I can reach as many as possible.

I finally got around to my project to install a super Blackhawk grip frame to my new model vaquero in 45 colt.

got everything to function as it should and smoothly at that what with some judicial grinding and fitting ... to include the purchase of the super BH spring, spring retainer and the hammer/spring strut.

problem raises however when I open the loading gate to free wheel the cylinder to load and unload. it locks up the cylinder and allows no turning as it should. I can cock the hammer a few degree's and it allows the cylinder to free wheel as it should ... however if allowing the hammer to rest on the frame where it should ... it locks up the cylinder again. every other function works dandy including cocking and firing ... just this last frustration with the cylinder locking up when it should release to turn to load/unload.

now I took the super BH grip frame back off and reinstalled the vaquero frame and everything functions as it has always done ... including the free wheeling when the loading gate is opened.

reinstalling the super BH grip frame and my problem comes back. to all outward appearances everything is dandy ... somehow tho the thing locks up when it should turn freely.

so there is my story and im hoping someone here has done this project and ran into the same problem and found the cure ... AND ... is willing to share what in blazes is going on ... I have fiddled with it all day and cant seem to figure this one out.

im sure it is a easy fix and im willing to do so ... however I just need an idea as to where and what to fix.

thanks in advance for the suggestions and hints.

ReloaderFred
12-19-2015, 07:23 PM
Look to make sure the cylinder lock is dropping when you open the loading gate.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Mica_Hiebert
12-19-2015, 07:24 PM
http://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/99123-super-blackhawk-loading-gate-problem.html not the same problem but sounds like it will get you on the right track

bedbugbilly
12-19-2015, 08:07 PM
My NV is packed away and I'm trying to visualize it in my head so that's a lost cause! :-( I'm just wondering . . . it works with the NV frame but not with the BH frame . . . is there any chance that one of the frame mounting screws is a tad bit longer than it needs to be on the BH frame and it's extending in someplace and binding something up?

bigted
12-19-2015, 08:31 PM
I experimented with this and loosened the screws one at a time and then all a little lose and didn't seem to make too much difference ... still locks up.

got to be something with the grip frames [because of the NV frame works flawlessly] but I cant seem to locate what the problem area is.

bigted
01-02-2016, 07:57 PM
Well I found the hickup.

The floor plate on the original has a small slot ground crossways where the hand is below the frame bottom. This small slot was ground at the factory and as the cross slot was needed for clearance of the hand bottom ... I ground a slot in my SB grip frame. Thinking that I had missed the exact spot (which I did) I enlarged my slot to relieve any metal from having contact in the least.

In thinking on it and in contemplation I took some super glue and filled in the slot I had ground. I filled in the slot and allowed it to completely cure for a couple weeks. I take a flat file and dress the glue flat. Upon assembly the dang thing works like a charm.

So looking back I think that the hand bottom needs the pressure against it for it to be forced rearward enough to not allow a lockage situation with the hand being too far forward and catching against the ratchet notch in the cylinder notch.

So there is my stories and after much tribulations I feel I have found the answer to a unique situation.

bedbugbilly
01-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Good for you! Sounds like you got it all figured out and now you can just enjoy shooting it! Glad you got it figured out!

DougGuy
01-03-2016, 03:10 PM
So now it needs to be TiG welded so it will last.

bigted
01-03-2016, 06:33 PM
Yep thinking I will ensure the problem is indeed fixed ... But I plan to do that exactly.

pietro
01-03-2016, 09:40 PM

I'm glad you got it - IMO, it's extremely satisfying to noodle out one's own repairs.

Whiterabbit
01-05-2016, 01:17 PM
Hi Big Ted,

Glad you got it fixed! I suggest this may not be a unique situation.

Have you considered purchasing the ruger shop manuals?

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_924000002_1.jpg

It's a GREAT reference, and though I bought it for just one specific purpose, I have since learned that it covers every case of tuning for each component on a ruger revolver. It lately has had a permanent place on my bedside table, and in this case specifically, before you solved it, I would have gone to exactly that book as I went to bed that night, and had my answer before the next day. Including exact engagement surfaces affecting the issue, which one to stone, or which component to replace and re-fit.

kit and kaboodle. It's REALLY a great book.