PDA

View Full Version : ruger new vaquero

bigted
12-19-2015, 06:49 PM
well color me cornfused. I finally got around to trying to install the super Blackhawk grip frame to my new model vaquero 45 colt. guess I got several trials in the doing but this last one has me stumped sooo ... HELP PLease?

the revolver now functions well in the cocking and hammer fall arena. not without some judicial grinding and filing on the new super grip frame but I got it to function very well except for this last wrinkle.

when I open the loading gate to release the cylinder for loading ... it locks up tight as if there is the ejection rod or something locking up the cylinder ... if I cock the hammer just a few degree's it releases the cylinder and it rotates as it should. allowing the hammer to rest on the frame with the trigger ahead as it should be and the cylinder locks up again .

the cylinder lock is clear and inside the water table as it should be ... the ejector is in its resting place and does not fall into a cylinder hole ... everything is {appearance wise} as it should be ... with the exception of the cylinder locking up and not allowing it to turn till I move the hammer back a few degree's.

now I took the super grip frame back off and transferred the trigger return spring back to the vaquero grip frame and reassembled the revolver and everything functions as it should ... INCLUDING the loading gate releasing the cylinder to turn free wheel to load and unload as it should.

removing the vaquero frame and reassembling it with the super frame ... it malfunctions again.

frustrated to say the least however I feel it must be an easy fix ... just cant figure out what to fix!

hoping somebody else has fussed with this project and can give me a helpful hint as to where to look for the problem.

thanks I hope ... LOL

1989toddm
12-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Can you cock it to half-cock to free it? Look through the frame under the cylinder as you cock it. Watch to see if the locking spur falls out and stays down at half cock. This is how my Pietta works.

bigted
12-19-2015, 08:28 PM
these vaquero Rugers have a bit different internals then the regular Colt clones. there is no half cock position with these.

even so the answer is yes the bolt stop lowers into the frame [or water table] as it should. there seems to be no visible reason for the stoppage. evidently has to do with the grip frame somehow as the original vaquero frame works flawlessly.

1989toddm
12-19-2015, 08:50 PM
Ok. Sorry I can't help! I'm sure you will find the problem, be interesting to hear what it is.

doc1876
12-20-2015, 10:40 PM
My Ruger .44 Sp Bisley was doing this from new. I sent it to Ruger, and they fixed it, I don't know what they did, but it is fixed.
I thought the New Vaquero and the Super Blackhawk were two different frames.

When you flip open the loading gate, the spring in the frame presses the locking bolt down, which releases the cylinder. You might have the spring slipped out of the correct position, as this happens to my New Vaquero all of the time when I take it apart..........which is why I never take that rotten blankety blankety ruger apart unless I have to.

bigted
01-03-2016, 06:29 PM
Found the problem with the grip frame.

Rather then repeating here I will direct all interested to go over to "Wheel guns and handcanons" to the post " vaquero frustration".