PDA

View Full Version : safety on newer Win. 94s

Ballard
12-19-2015, 04:53 PM
I've been looking at a newer Win. 94. It has some weird safety in the action. I'm a dinosaur and have shot old rifles. Can this safety be removed? Maybe holes plugged?

Hick
12-20-2015, 01:47 AM
First question wold be which safety? When Winchester started getting safety happy they had a sliding safety that you push in from the side which was very unpopular, and then switched to a safety mounted on top of the tang. About the same time they developed a rebounding hammer, that rebounded to half cocked after each shot is fired. I remember seeing a gunsmithing video somewhere that showed how those two safeties worked. I'll see if I can find the video. I think the side push safety can be removed, but the real question would be what else happens then (maybe something bad and unplanned??)

Hick
12-20-2015, 01:51 AM
Found the video on how to remove (if its the crossbolt safety): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOtg46wl36E

Ballard
12-20-2015, 03:14 AM
thank you

dead dog
12-20-2015, 11:25 PM
I bought a 2001 AE didn't like the way it felt so I took out safety and replaced the lower tang and stock with post 64 parts. Now I have the half cock a Winchester should have.

georgerkahn
12-21-2015, 08:48 AM
As both a lever-lover and a hunter-safety firearms instructor, I have seen the light, so to speak, re that hated by many added safety. While we teach and profess that ANY "safety" is a SYSTEM, with the most integral component being what's between the shooter's ears (e.g., brain), the fact remains that for most levers, the action must be racked to remove unspent shells from magazine tube. Yes, that newer levers come with that added, say push-button or slide, safety -- imho it IS nice that said lever may be unloaded a lot safer than firearms sans this feature. And yes -- I have one or two old ones without the newfangled new safeties; BUT, I sure as heck will not remove or alter those which have them! And, these are the ones the kids get to shoot. Just my 1 1/2cents -- not to start a "pro vs con" discussion; but, my thoughts alone on subject.
geo

nekshot
12-21-2015, 08:59 AM
yup, I left the safeties on for my kids to learn from. They have no trouble with it but it bugs me being older and contrary to change! I do remember as a kid of 17-18 years of age I was hunting with some buddies and that evening the chap with a lever 35 remmy had it go off as he was unloading and the memory of that is still vivid. No harm but from that groub of young fellas I am the only one with levers in my possesion.

Hickok
12-21-2015, 10:00 AM
At first I detested those safeties on the Marlins and Winchesters, but now I tolerate them.

Years ago when I was a teenager, we used to put on deer drives. After one such drive a young cousin was unloading a model 94, not paying attention to where the muzzle was, and ratcheting it fast and furious like in a cowboy movie.

I had one big tough uncle who was a timber cutter, big chew in his jaw, said "Give me that rifle, been more people killed with those damn 30/30's than any other rifle made! Here is how you unload it without shooting anyone!"

I will never forget that.

A few years later, here in our county, a guy was sitting in the back of a pick-up with a group of deer drivers unloading a model 94 before heading out for the next drive, and it went off, went through the bed, the cab and killed a person up front. Bad practice in doing this, but it still happened.

Hardcast416taylor
12-21-2015, 01:00 PM
A friend of mine was in a deer camp shack getting warm by an old pot belly stove. A teen age hunter started unloading his old model 94 carbine in side the shack but with the muzzle `safely` pointed at the ash catcher under the stove. Somehow a round went off into the ash pan! My friend said that shack emptied of 4 other people in record time.Robert

Friends call me Pac
12-23-2015, 07:08 PM
I removed the safety on my 94 AE. I then plugged the holes with some plastic plugs from the hardware store. I like it much better. The safety was in the top hole nearest the hammer. Looks good to me.

aHFo3
01-08-2016, 02:09 PM
I removed and plugged the safety on my 94ae as well. As a lefty, the disengaged safety obstructed my shooting hand and I would often engage the safety while shooting. I'm fine with the tang safety and the Marlin safeties don't bother me. I'm glad marlin still use the half-cock safety.

Guesser
01-08-2016, 03:16 PM
I've got Marlins and Winchesters with the cross bolt safety--------and Marlins & Winchesters that never had the cross bolt safety. I think I'll leave them all as originally shipped from factory. They all work just fine as is.

fecmech
01-08-2016, 06:21 PM
Along with being able to unload the tube with greater safety there is an additional advantage to the tang safety on the 94 AE's. A fellow can dry fire one to his hearts content and the trigger is no different than live fire for practice. The hammer does no damage and does not hit the firing pin at all. With the AE triggers you will need the extra practice!

Malamute
01-10-2016, 12:28 AM
I'm pretty used to the older types. I converted a tang safety rebounder 92 to regular half cock. Want to fill the slider hole with a silver plate with my initials, similar to what Ji did with his with bone.

I guess I unload mine wrong. I close the action enough to release the round from the guide rails, then open the bolt back up and remove the round that's about half in the chamber with my fingers on the rim, repeat until done. The rounds dont end up in the dirt either. Not having the finger in the trigger guard is also a good habit. No reason to when cycling it anyways, and keeps it from getting pinched. one good thing with Winchesters is being able to clear the chamber then push the carrier back down to leave the mag loaded but chamber empty.