PDA

View Full Version : Throat reamer

beemer
04-17-2008, 09:33 PM
I have two rifles that have no ball seat making it very hard to chamber cast loads.
One is a 336A in 30-30 with ballard rifling,the bore is less than .300 making it hard to chamber most of my boolit styles. The other has a rebarreled mauser action in 308 Win,it has a Nato target barrel. It also has a tight bore , this makes it almost imposible to seat a boolit out a proper lenght. Even when I can the end of the chamber shaves the lead.

I was looking through the Brownells Toy Catalog and found throat reamers for about $35. I think they were Clymer and Manson reamers. I have done a lot of tinkering including rebarreling the mauser, I was lucky on that one as the headspace turned out right,but have never done any chamber work. Has anyone here reamed any throats by hand ? I could use any advice or comments from anyone familiar with this.

beemer

Skipper
04-17-2008, 09:59 PM
I have reamed probably 10 or 12 and it's real easy. Use a tap stock or "T" handle to hold the reamer....dip it in cutting oil and hand-turn it in the chamber; takes about 5 minutes. Be careful......you can cut it, but you can't put it back. If you don't want to buy it, rent it from 4-D:

http://www.4-dproducts.com/

nicholst55
04-18-2008, 01:36 AM
+1 to what Skipper said. Make certain that you order the correct handle for the throater - they use a rimfire T-handle.

What I do is load a dummy round with the bullet seated where I want it. I cut a LITTLE BIT, clean the area, and try to chamber the dummy. Continue until it will just seat with the amount of resistance desired (or none, if desired). Then stop.

bohica2xo
04-18-2008, 01:55 PM
A throating job is only as good as the pilot fit.

If you contact Pacfic Tool (http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.htm) (Dave Kiff) and discuss your throater needs you will get plenty of help.

You should slug both bores, and get precise land diameters so they can supply bushings that fit right. If you have a particular freebore diameter you want, or lead angle, they can make that as well.

Since you have a prefered cast bullet in 30 cal, you might as well get a throater ground to match it. You can always order a bushing to fit your next project...

B.