PDA

View Full Version : Forester Case trimmer handle

Hickok
12-19-2015, 08:52 AM
My Forester case trimmer has given me over 30 years of good service. But after all those many revolutions of case trimming, the knurled knob that is attached to the handle which you use to turn the cutter is nearly worn away. Any of you have some good ideas for a repair, bushings, washers, etc.155971155972

Dan Cash
12-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Ordere a new one from Forster. If your time is worth 25 cents an hour, new is cheaper than repair.

Hickok
12-19-2015, 10:48 AM
I already looked on Forester Web page for parts, but all I see is the whole cutter assembly. I will email and see if I can just get the knob.

vzerone
12-19-2015, 12:54 PM
I got that much service on mine and it's still very good. May be when I have a lot of cases to do I use my drill.

rush1886
12-20-2015, 09:20 AM
If just the knurling itself is gone, and you're just looking for a decent grip surface, pick up a short piece of electrical heat shrink tubing, at HD or Lowes.

EDG
12-21-2015, 10:32 PM
There is a hardened steel wave washer that goes between the knob and the handle.
you can buy all the parts to repair Forster trimmers but they are not cheap - they are not like RCBS - they will give you nothing

http://www.forsterproducts.com/components-parts-price-list/#original_case_trimmer

Hickok
12-22-2015, 08:17 AM
There is a hardened steel wave washer that goes between the knob and the handle.
you can buy all the parts to repair Forster trimmers but they are not cheap - they are not like RCBS - they will give you nothing

http://www.forsterproducts.com/components-parts-price-list/#original_case_trimmerYep I contacted Forester about just replacing the knob, and all they sell is the whole cutter assembly for $12. Not to bad a price though, and would be a lot sharper than my old one.

Mine right now is down to bare aluminum knob, and when I trim cases, I get as much aluminum shavings as brass shavings! Might just get some good grade washers and put them on, and use the Forester just for hollow pointing.

I also have a Redding case trimmer set on the bench, so I am good to go.

typz2slo
01-06-2016, 09:21 PM
I unscrewed the handle and knob and replaced it with a nut. Now I use a cordless screwdriver with a nut driver attachment to turn the cutter.