PDA

View Full Version : Helped clean out a house

abunaitoo
12-18-2015, 06:13 PM
Last week I helped clean out a house.
Lots of reloading tools and ammo, and stuff.
I already posted some of the presses, and other stuff, that I got.
Posted some shell in the for sale section. I'll be posting more as I sort through things.
I'm lucky a friend of the family suggested me to them.
From what I felt, everything was going to be thrown away. Junked. Taken to the dump.
I'm sure a bunch of us have a life time of collected treasures.
It would be sad to see a life time of enjoyment just thrown in the land fill.
Make plans now. Pass these treasures along to someone who will appreciate them as much as you do.

Blackwater
12-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Cleaning out a home is always a difficult and usually sad sort of thing, and the simple fact is that many just want things gone, and throw out everything without realizing or caring what its value is or that much of it might be appreciated by many. You did very good, and deserve the thanks of us all, even if we didn't benefit directly from your labors. Big jobs aren't very popular these days, and most just want to "get it over with." My wife works at and manages a local Christian thrift store, and it's amazing what people throw out. It's good that so many have the good will to see some of it go to good use to people who couldn't afford some nice things otherwise. A good, warm coat in the winter means a LOT to some, and it's heartwarming to see people get something good that they can really use and benefit from. They sell WAY under what Goodwill, which has become a big corporation that seems to be very conscious of "cash fluidity" charge, and their business has grown tremendously as word has spread about what they offer. It's catch as catch can, and it's all volunteer work, and based entirely on people's simple good will toward their fellow man. They use 100% of the "profits" to fund a food bank that is administered by retired folks who know much about how to qualify for those requesting the food. They don't squander it willy nilly, and verify all that can be verified. When a family gets burned out, they may donate clothes, shoes, etc. to the needy family, gratis. It's the modern way of doing what used to be done by the majority of folks in a community.

Ya' done good, sir. Good on ya' for it. Most won't do that sort of thing any more.

Blammer
12-18-2015, 10:25 PM
good for you!

fatelk
12-18-2015, 11:54 PM
It's an unsettling feeling to sort through the treasured belongings of someone who passed away. Some years ago I helped clean out my grandfather's house after he passed away. I finished cleaning out his old safe; all that was left by that time was a bunch of various ammo, old holsters, and odds and ends.

I tried to give some to an uncle, a cousin; nobody wanted it. It sat in my garage for a couple years before I did anything with it. I didn't feel like it was mine until then. Then there was the $10k cash we found in a desk drawer. That got claimed by a couple of aunts pretty quick...

dilly
12-19-2015, 12:07 AM
Then there was the $10k cash we found in a desk drawer. That got claimed by a couple of aunts pretty quick...

That presidential memorabilia on green paper sure gets plenty of attention.

Seriously though, I think he had good advice about making plans. It may be right that your stuff goes to your next of kin, but it may be better to gift some of the specialized stuff to a kindred spirit. Your call.

scarry scarney
12-19-2015, 12:13 AM
I was given a Hollywood press, by someone cleaning out a house, and he knew I was into reloading

Plate plinker
12-20-2015, 03:01 PM
That presidential memorabilia on green paper sure gets plenty of attention.

Seriously though, I think he had good advice about making plans. It may be right that your stuff goes to your next of kin, but it may be better to gift some of the specialized stuff to a kindred spirit. Your call.

Funny how that works.

Hardcast416taylor
12-20-2015, 03:38 PM
My Mother took care of an elderly Aunt of her that was mostly Irish by family stock. When the Aunt the job of cleaning out the small house fell to my Mother as any of the other relatives of the older lady wanted to not waste their time. My mother found enough Irish whiskeys to literally open a bar! The old gal liked a wee nip now and again and was always buying a "fresh" bottle. However, it was the finding of her will leaving all properties and $35K to my Mother for caring for her that really ticked off all the other relatives, they recieved smaller amounts with stipulations about not contesting the will to be sure my Mother got what she was leaving her.Robert

TXGunNut
12-20-2015, 08:43 PM
Most or all of the old Winchesters (and a Madis book) I've acquired have come indirectly from estates. It's a little unsettling sometimes but it reminds me that we are only temporary custodians of the guns we think we own. My holdings represent several lifetimes of hunting, shooting or maybe even farm or ranch duty. Sure wish these old guns could talk.

imashooter2
12-20-2015, 09:28 PM
Just got done selling the ancestral home. My Father had lived there for 58 years. All 4 of us kids have fully stocked homes of our own. So we each took a few sentimental trinkets and then had a series of house sales... it is a humbling thing to see the value the world puts on the treasures of a lifetime. :(

mold maker
12-21-2015, 10:31 AM
They are only treasures to the original owners in this disposable society.
The point being give it to whom ever you, like before leaving this world. Otherwise it will actually be a burden to someone. Of course, it could be payback, for lack of attention over time.........

Hardcast416taylor
12-21-2015, 12:50 PM
Every time I buy an old military rifle I think `if it only could talk about where it has been`?Robert

scarry scarney
12-22-2015, 03:39 PM
Every time I buy an old military rifle I think `if it only could talk about where it has been`?Robert

I have a Nagant revolver WWII Bring Back (with papers and original holster), that I wonder the same thing for. The note says the Veteran took it from a German Soldier. Which implies the German took it off a Russian Soldier. I also wonder if it killed more Russians in the hands of the Russian NCO of whom it was issued to or in the hands of the German Soldier who first captured it.