PDA

View Full Version : Replace plastic hopper on Lyman 55

Follow Me
12-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Seasons Greeting to all,
Need to replace the darkly opaque hopper on my #55 Lyman. I've pushed and pulled everything on the thing and it still won't come off. As an old army guy I was taught to hit it with a hammer and if that didn't fix it hit it with a bigger hammer. Well, I'm at the first hammer stage now. I'm sure the hammer will get the old one out of the way.
I have a new hopper in hand and I see a a slot has been routed around the bottom. A hammer is probably not the way to install the new one or Is It? I would appreciate your advice on a less violent installation method.
Thanks for your time.

"I am the Infantry, Queen of Battle, Follow Me"

22Dec , 0216 Hrs.
I got that Bad Girl replaced/fixed in no time at all and with no casualities.
The way to remove the old hopper was simply suspend the measure between two fulcrum points and give it a sharp karate chop with a gloved hand. The old hopper popped right out. No problem. After a bit of clean-up, place the new hopper in position. With a gloved hand karate chop the hopper popped right into place. Miller Time.
Thanks to all that responded with ideas.

Col C. "I am the Infantry, Queen of Battle, Follow Me".

troyboy
12-18-2015, 05:41 PM
If it is an older version the hopper is threaded. Try unscrewing the hopper with a strap wrench.

Smoke4320
12-18-2015, 05:58 PM
a heat gun on the metal might help some as well (not on the plastic just the metal to get it to expand a little and let loose its many year grip )

Skirmisher
12-18-2015, 06:13 PM
If the hopper material is thicker than your replacement then it's threaded and probably glued as the threads in the hopper are quite thin/light. The replacement which is the only kind that Lyman has will be too large in diameter to insert because of the threads in the base. I've replaced a number of 55 hoppers with the replacements by patiently sanding/thinning the hopper until it will start taking the threads, sand some more until you get a full mating and seat. You might also try Kroil or Liquid Wrench for a while to get in and break the seal.

jeepyj
12-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Interested in the results. Please post after you find out the secret.
jeepyj

salpal48
12-19-2015, 12:43 AM
To replace a lyman snap in Hopper . to an Old Threaded Model. Is very simple. . Use a heat Gun. . Generally Place the Hopper into the measure . It will be a little larger Than the edge. . Heat the edge of The metal and the tube together. . The n as the Hopper Get softer start to screw it . It will create The threads needed.. Do not heat to much to melt..
after Threading several times . it will be easy to Remove On and Off
I have done this several times on several that I have

bedbugbilly
12-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Sorry . . can't help myself! LOL

Since you freely admit you are a "get a bigger hammer" guy . . . and nobody has mentioned it yet . . .

Before using a heat gun . . . remove all gun powder! :-)

Then try unscrewing it first . . . that'a boy! Lefty loosey . . . . rightsy tightsy! :-)

Seriously . . .hope you can get it off without too much of a struggle. I've been looking for an older one and I see a lot of 'em with cloudy tubes and was curious as to what the replacement involved. Good information to file away!

salpal48
12-19-2015, 11:47 AM
I have several old lyman threaded tubes. , amber color , pitted, or cracked. . all will work fine without replacement. . Yes they do not look to good but They all work.. I have replaced a couple with Extended 12" tube ., again Makes no difference
Sal

ndnchf
12-19-2015, 12:24 PM
BACO has threaded brass tubes for the 55. I put one on mine a few years ago. I added a baffle too, it works great.

ole 5 hole group
12-19-2015, 03:27 PM
Just a suggestion - maybe look at the Sinclair bottle adapter, as a replacement.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-equipment/powder-handling/measure-stands-accessories/sinclair-powder-bottles-and-adapters-prod32959.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=sinclair+inter national