PDA

View Full Version : tackyness

Messy bear
12-18-2015, 02:12 PM
With these simple recipes, what ingredients are most apt to increase or decrease tack? Lanolin is one that increases as I understand. What lowers it? Oils? Waxes? Thx

Yodogsandman
12-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Sorry, double post

Yodogsandman
12-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Not knowing which "simple recipes" you're talking about, this link should help with any lube ingredient question...

http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm

runfiverun
12-18-2015, 03:34 PM
some of the greases used have Paratack in them too this increases tackiness like nothing else.
I have a bottle of the pure stuff here and it's hard to get out of the jar, it strings out like melted cheese on a pizza.
minimal tackiness is a good thing.
if the lube is real tacky it tends to come off in chunks which affects group size.

Messy bear
12-19-2015, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys. I made up 4 or 5 samples of different lubes and noticed quite a difference in hardness and tack. Then was thinking about the fling off thing and would like to reduce tack a bit in some of these. So what would reduce it if anything?

runfiverun
12-19-2015, 02:51 PM
mineral oil works pretty well to thin it down some, unfortunately that also thins out the lube.
ester oils also do a nice job but a large amount lets the lube get too slippery.
the easiest thing to do would be to add more of the carrier then add in a little atf, ester-100, or castor oil, the ester oils will help break the paratack into thinner [less clumped] strands.
fortunately we are talking less than 5% of both the oil and the tackifier.
castor oil will also help keep the paratack from trying to build up on the barrels inner corners, it however is a lot of lube in a small amount so you need the extra carrier to help hold it all.
try 3% of whichever you have on hand and another 10-15% of the wax.

randyrat
12-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Beeswax (as a carrier) will lower the tackiness, too much beeswax and the "stick" will be gone. Temperature plays a big roll in it also, because beeswax can have "stick" also at higher temps.

fryboy
12-19-2015, 09:50 PM
gee randy .. i always thought that amongst all the waxes beeswax alone had it's own "tacky" , the refined waxes however seemed to have more "slickum" ( is why i use paraffin on my wood tools , beeswax creates too much grab )

dusting after lubing with mica or talcum powder will get rid of tackiness ( just to put that out there ) mica also adds a bit in "slickness"
carnuba wax helps end some tackiness but too much and the lube becomes brittle

Messy bear
12-19-2015, 11:46 PM
Thank you guys! Hopefully I will learn something and maybe even post results?

runfiverun
12-20-2015, 04:56 AM
the big trick is in removing the excess tackiness without removing the flexibility and feathering capabilities of the lube itself.

randyrat
01-02-2016, 11:51 PM
gee randy .. i always thought that amongst all the waxes beeswax alone had it's own "tacky" , the refined waxes however seemed to have more "slickum" ( is why i use paraffin on my wood tools , beeswax creates too much grab )

dusting after lubing with mica or talcum powder will get rid of tackiness ( just to put that out there ) mica also adds a bit in "slickness"
carnuba wax helps end some tackiness but too much and the lube becomes brittle
You are right and wrong at the same time:| You know what happens if you try to use beeswax as a bullet lube on cast bullets, it won't stick or it won't stay on your bullets unless you use heat to apply and then when they age the wax will come off. Yeah I tried it once, well heck i didn't know better. I should have said ; Too much beeswax and it will reduce your tackiness.