PDA

View Full Version : Swede bolt problem.

44man
12-18-2015, 09:04 AM
My friend has a pristine Swede but when he opens the bolt, the rear shroud will unscrew by itself. Safety stops working because he turns it wrong. I told him the other way, tighten it.
No way to tighten the threads so I suggested a wrap of Teflon tape.
Any other ideas would help!

waksupi
12-18-2015, 11:04 AM
If it has been disassembled, was the firing pin turned back in completely? I seem to recall I did that at one time, and had that problem.

vzerone
12-18-2015, 11:18 AM
It sounds like the shroud isn't screwed in all the way. On the 98 Mausers there is a shroud lock to prevent the shroud from unscrewing. Springfield 1903's have this too.

44man
12-18-2015, 11:26 AM
No lock and if I turn it in all the way, it is loose. The weight of the safety can swing it.

Cap'n Morgan
12-18-2015, 12:21 PM
Give the shroud one more turn and things will be fine. You'll have to compress the main spring for that last turn - that's what the bushing in the Mauser 98 military stocks is for: to protect the point of the firing pin while disassembling or assembling the bolt.

You can also pull the mainspring taught while screwing the shroud in place, but it takes strong hands and it could result in a skin blood blister... no, don't ask!

Almost forgot: I seem to recall that on an unaltered bolt you can "precock" the firing pin with the safety in top position and then screw it in place.

frkelly74
12-18-2015, 01:17 PM
I think precocking the firing pin and locking it in place with the safety is the important thing to remember. here. Then thread it into the bolt body all the way.

44man
12-18-2015, 02:58 PM
I have to try it. Mine has a replacement safety so it is different. I need him to bring the gun over.

vzerone
12-18-2015, 03:47 PM
When you want to unscrew the shroud you have close the bolt all the way in the rifle in cocked position then put the safety on in the halfway position (that's with the wing straight up and that's on the original safety). Then remove the bolt from the rifle and unscrew the shroud and it's assembly. On the 98 Mauser there are three positions: off, safe but still can open the bolt (that's straight up) and safe with action locked which is the wing all the way flipped to the right or clockwise.

If you have the shroud out and somehow the safety isn't on and the firing pin is in the full extended position (like as though it was fired) you can't get the shroud and firing pin assembly back into the bolt correctly until you cock the firing pin back and lock it there with the safety in the safe position but can open the bolt....that wing straight up position.

I know this is confusing, but it's really simple if I were there to show you.

leebuilder
12-18-2015, 06:39 PM
Plus one on wrong assembly, done it myself. My cousin does it all the time. The cocking piece has to be held back in the shroud by the safety.
Be well