PDA

View Full Version : Smaller diameter flash holes?

Tackleberry41
12-17-2015, 04:35 PM
I am sure they have come up with some sort of reason. But I thought it was only Speer 357 Sig brass that had the smaller flash hole, one that will break a regular decapping rod. I had modded one to get them out, then drill them to the regular size. I had read Speer did it due to the powder they were using. But some Remington 357 Sig I bought today, it also has the smaller hole. So far its the only brass I have seen it in besides S&B 22 hornet.

Tackleberry41
12-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Not talking the primer, but the actual flash hole being smaller, to small for a conventional decapping rod to get them out without breaking or bending it quickly.

Ola
12-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Some factories do it because of pressure. The smaller the hole, the lower is the pressure hitting the primer.

F.e. SAKO 7,62X53R cases have a extra small flash hole because that reduces the risk of eye injuries: If the round is shot in Mosin Nagant rifle, and primer is pierced, the pressure will go through the bolt in the striker channel... That is the "official factory explanation".

tommag
12-18-2015, 12:55 AM
Lapua ppc brass has a small flash hole, about .060"

Czech_too
12-18-2015, 07:25 AM
I acquired some new Herter's .222 Rem Mag brass that had a small flash hole. Was 'told' by the seller that it was actually made by Norma.
Yeah, I've come across the S&B Hornet brass too. Took me a couple cases before I realized what the problem was.