PDA

View Full Version : Trapdoor breech hinge loose

kens
12-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Hi,
I saw a trapdoor in the pawn shop, it is not a collector, it has the breechblock hinge sloppy.
Is there a way to re-bush, or ream oversize to tighten this up?

i am interested in a bubba'd version of this since there are reproduction scopes of that era available now, I have interest in rebarreling with a fine barrel and repro sight of the era.
Any thoughts?

Larry Gibson
12-18-2015, 01:43 PM
It is supposed to be "sloppy". The hole in the BB which the hinge pin passes through is slightly elongated.

Larry Gibson

doc1876
12-20-2015, 10:42 PM
Trapdoor parts are getting expensive, so if the hinge is indeed real loose, you might have better luck just buying a good breach, as you are going to re-barrel it anyway.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-21-2015, 10:02 AM
I think Larry is right, and there is nothing to worry about unless it is wobblier than other guns. Even then the pin joint isn't load-bearing in the act of firing. If it is really loose you could grease the pin and make a round hole by filling the existing one with car body filler, to find out whether that free movement is needed for opening and closing. Time enough then to decide whether bushing or reaming for a larger pin would be useful. If it is, K&S brass tubing, readily available in any 1/32in. size with approximately 1/64in. wall thickness, ought to be fine for the job.