PDA

View Full Version : 7mm Mauser PB mold?

Jeffjmr
12-17-2015, 01:03 PM
My near mint Chilean 95 has proved its mettle with my scout mounted scope (otherwise original), shooting under a MOA with J-word projectiles.

Now I'm into casting, and would like to preserve my pristine bore and not expose it to J-word ever again.

But I hate the GC concept for a number of reasons.

Is there 170gr-ish, PB mold out there that anyone has had good luck with?

I cast with magnum shot with some extra tin, and will water drop for rifles when I get the mold. Not sure the BN but should be pretty good, no?

Thanks,
Jeff

Norbrat
12-18-2015, 12:01 AM
I have a Cast Bullet Engineering PB 160gn bore rider mold. It is this one without the gas check shank

http://www.castbulletengineering.com.au/bullet-moulds/rifle/285-7mm-calibre/285-160gc-double-cavity

I'm pretty sure Jim only ever made this one PB mold; I bought it at a gun show he was at.

I planned to make a GC tool to cut thin GC's from pop cans, but never did so.

I've had the mold for over 25 years but it remains unused.

I also have the gascheck shank version as per the link, and used it mainly in my 7TCU and it shot well enough. I think the biggest issue was the oversized bore of the Thompson barrels. The bore rider shank was quite a sloppy fit, but a perfect fit in my Brno 7x57.

Shoots pretty well in the Brno as well.

I had planned to lap the mold to improve the bore fit, but ended up selling the TC.

So now I have both molds, one I've never used and one I will likely rarely use again.

Anyway, if you are interested in trying some of these, GC or PB, PM me.

I probably won't cast for a while (Christmas and the heat of summer, etc), but I will get a round to it and can then send some "fishing sinkers"for you to try.

Jeffjmr
12-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Thanks. PM sent.

sghart3578
12-18-2015, 01:26 AM
This is what I use in my VZ24 7X57, sized and gaschecked to .290". I'm sure that you could find someone on here to modify the mold for you to plainbase if you don't want the gas checks.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=1835

Whiterabbit
12-18-2015, 02:53 PM
Good luck, and let us know when you find success. I have enough trouble getting to 100 yards with gas checks. 50 yards, piece of cake. When you find the magic formula, please share!

dbh1956
12-18-2015, 03:51 PM
I like to find a PB for the 7-30 Waters. One of the NOE molds with both GC and PB would be my choice. How about the 288 132Gr. FN 2 cavity 1GC 1PB (7mm Thor) badgeredd design?