PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 44 special

theleo
12-17-2015, 12:13 PM
I've had a stainless 44 special black hawk for a while now and I'm finally tired of how high it shoots. It has a 4.5 inch barrel and I've been shooting 8 grains of Unique through it behind NOE's 434421 sized to .431. It shoots to high for my taste (8-10 inches at 25 yards) and I've already bottomed the rear sight out. Do any of you more knowledgeable gents out there have a suggestion of what I should to get it where I want it but still keep bullets at around the 1,000 fps mark? Since it's the stainless model, the front blade is just pinned in and wouldn't be to hard to remove, is that my best option? Thanks to all that have any suggestions.

wdr2
12-17-2015, 12:23 PM
Send a PM to Sixshot. He makes a nice front sight blade in either 0.370in or 0.390in height. I just bought two, one for my SBH 480 and one for my Bisley 45 Colt. Here's a link with info:

http://singleactions.proboards.com/thread/15786/sixshot-sight

I've had a stainless 44 special black hawk for a while now and I'm finally tired of how high it shoots. It has a 4.5 inch barrel and I've been shooting 8 grains of Unique through it behind NOE's 434421 sized to .431. It shoots to high for my taste (8-10 inches at 25 yards) and I've already bottomed the rear sight out. Do any of you more knowledgeable gents out there have a suggestion of what I should to get it where I want it but still keep bullets at around the 1,000 fps mark? Since it's the stainless model, the front blade is just pinned in and wouldn't be to hard to remove, is that my best option? Thanks to all that have any suggestions.

NC_JEFF
12-17-2015, 12:38 PM
A taller front sight seems like the easiest fix

MtGun44
12-17-2015, 11:10 PM
I agree with the taller front sight idea. Depending on how handy you are, you may be able
to do it yourself, but many would require the services of a good gunsmith. Does this particular
gun have a pinned in front blade or the one piece unit?

contender1
12-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Mtgun44,, he's already stated it's a stainless gun & a pinned in front sight.

Like others above,,, get a taller ft sight. Not hard to install. Many of sixshot's front sights are a little thicker in the base to allow for light sanding/filing. This gives you a tight fit. You also drill the pin hole to match your gun, as he leaves them undrilled. You drill 1/2 way on one side & then 1/2 way from the other side. Once you have the hole,,, the VERY slight difference in the two holes allows the pin to hold it better.

Silver Jack Hammer
12-18-2015, 12:46 AM
All my Rugers BH's I've had needed to have the rear sights filed down the zero. Just file down the top of the rear sight blade and then file down the base of the rear sight blade notch.

35 Whelen
12-18-2015, 03:19 AM
My FT Blackhawk .44 Special shot high too. I took another, fairly simple route that didn't alter the appearance of the revolver. I disassembled the rear sight and using table top belt sander carefully took metal from the under side of the sight. I don't remember the exact amount, but it allowed the rear sight to be adjusted down a few more "clicks" bringing POI down to where I needed it.

35W

Blackwater
12-18-2015, 09:20 AM
Another potential fix is larger diameter grips (mostly at the top of the grip) and a firmer grip on the gun in firing. This can make a large difference in POI. One of the "secrets" of shooting SA revolvers well, especially those that have some recoil, is in the grips and the firmness of the grip. Helps with the follow through after the trigger breaks, and before the hammer hits the primer as well. Most don't even know how much difference this can make, but it does.

runfiverun
12-18-2015, 04:17 PM
the Hogue over molded grips made both of my ruger 44 specials shoot to a lower poi.
I'm using a heavier boolit and less powder though.

Joni Lynn
12-19-2015, 01:36 AM
I had a similar problem with one of my Bisley 44 mags. I just happened to be speaking with Mr Hamilton Bowen and he suggested that there is often casting imperfections that can be cleaned up under the rear sight which will allow it to go down further. I took care of that and it solved my problem. Other solutions are to shoot a light bullet or a faster load to get a lower point of impact.
Changing the sight blade is probably going to be your best answer.
Best wishes.

shoot-n-lead
12-19-2015, 01:54 AM
I have 3 of the flattops and 1 New Vaquero...all in 44 special and none of them shoot high. I guess Ruger just put short front sights on some of them.

theleo
12-20-2015, 11:58 PM
I appreciate all the advice guys. I'm going to be giving a taller front sight a try. I have a set of Elk horn grips on it that were a big improvement over the cheese graters it came. I like the idea of rounds similar to those of the old Skeeter load. I have stepped it up to those of Keith's using 2400 before, but they are just more recoil than I want in a gun this size. My goal is to have rounds that are capable of dealing with camp raiding black bears and dispatch wounded dear or elk. I have a feeling if I loaded this to factory levels I'd be fine but it wouldn't be really capable of doing what I want it to.