PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars fans stand up and be counted.

Doggonekid
12-16-2015, 11:38 PM
I will admit I am a Star Wars Nerd. I have loved the series for over 35 years. I am excited for the new show to come out. Over the years Star Wars has reminded me of times in my life. I remember my first girl friend took me to the original Star Wars show. First time I saw a Wookie I thought it was a girl I use to date in high school. May the Force be with you.:popcorn:

StolzerandSons
12-17-2015, 12:52 AM
My parents didn't have higher paying jobs until I was well into my teenage years, so some of my fondest memories from when I was real young are of getting 2 or 3 Star Wars figurines on my birthday and maybe getting one big piece like the Millenium Falcon at Christmas. The hours I spent fighting epic battles across the living room...simpler times I suppose. So yes I am still a fan now that I have more gray hairs than colored ones.

runfiverun
12-17-2015, 12:56 AM
I usually fall asleep about 1/3 of the way through.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-17-2015, 12:57 AM
Yeah I thought it was a great TV show

cheese1566
12-17-2015, 01:02 AM
My parents didn't have higher paying jobs until I was well into my teenage years, so some of my fondest memories from when I was real young are of getting 2 or 3 Star Wars figurines on my birthday and maybe getting one big piece like the Millenium Falcon at Christmas. The hours I spent fighting epic battles across the living room...simpler times I suppose. So yes I am still a fan now that I have more gray hairs than colored ones.

same here!

Me and my brother outlined our wanted birthday and xmas gifts for years to come with action figures, play sets, and space ships after star wars came out. We planned it from the Sears catalogs. Funny though it never materialized. We did grow a small collection and I just showed it off to my 11 yoa daughter a couple weeks ago while in the attic for xmas decorations .

Me me and my brother made countless ships from cardboard and masking tape.

starmac
12-17-2015, 01:34 AM
Somehow, I have managed to never watch it all these years, maybe one day.

bubba.50
12-17-2015, 01:43 AM
thanks to havin' kids that needed totin' to the movies, I've seen a couple of these. never did see what the big draw was.

trapper9260
12-17-2015, 05:52 AM
I have seen them back when the first ones came out but after that it fade out because of of the times it did came out was some thing new then now it is not.As for what was the big draw the way it look to me was Carrie Fisher.

Beagle333
12-17-2015, 06:05 AM
I liked the movie. Who doesn't want a light saber?

Blanco
12-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Just read my Quote line

Electric88
12-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Definitely a Star Wars fan. We are going to see the new one tonight :D

Rick Hodges
12-17-2015, 08:26 AM
I liked the first few movies....then they got strained. I will watch them but not a great fan.

Smoke4320
12-17-2015, 08:35 AM
Fan star wars I am

dragon813gt
12-17-2015, 08:42 AM
I've read all the books. And this is where the new movies have screwed up. The canon was already written and they chose to go their own route. Which is a shame because excellent writers, not Hollywood hack screenwriters, wrote well developed characters and great stories. They should have made the "Heir to the Empire" trilogy into movies. These were the first books that Lucasfilm allowed to be written. They set the stage for all the other books, both before and after time wise.

The new movies are nothing but a money grab. Looks like a JJ Abrams movie from the trailers. His style is unmistakeable and I've grown tired of it. That being said, I will go see the movie. But it will be weeks from now when I'm stuck in some small town in the middle of nowhere for work. I will not wait in any sort of line to see it.

Wayne Smith
12-17-2015, 08:46 AM
We saw the original movie in LA while I was in grad school. I guess this dates me. Have no memorabelia, do not stand in line to be the first to see the new movie, but we haven't missed any of them.

Tackleberry41
12-17-2015, 08:51 AM
I was 7 when the original Star Wars came out, so yea I was a fan. Now my son is 7, and is into all things Star Wars now. We will be going to see it next week. He has a the pack of the 1st six movies under the Christmas tree.

Electric88
12-17-2015, 08:56 AM
I've read all the books. And this is where the new movies have screwed up. The canon was already written and they chose to go their own route. Which is a shame because excellent writers, not Hollywood hack screenwriters, wrote well developed characters and great stories. They should have made the "Heir to the Empire" trilogy into movies. These were the first books that Lucasfilm allowed to be written. They set the stage for all the other books, both before and after time wise.

The new movies are nothing but a money grab. Looks like a JJ Abrams movie from the trailers. His style is unmistakeable and I've grown tired of it. That being said, I will go see the movie. But it will be weeks from now when I'm stuck in some small town in the middle of nowhere for work. I will not wait in any sort of line to see it.

I've read most of the books, and was definitely bummed out when they threw that all out. Hopefully they do right by this one though. As long as they are better than Episode 1-3, I think I'll be ok lol

Electric88
12-17-2015, 08:56 AM
And the "Heir to the Empire" Trilogy was awesome!

Good Cheer
12-17-2015, 09:02 AM
When we went to one years ago it was curious to see the effects the film had on the audience.
By the time the movie was over there was a blurring, not good guys, not bad guys and the kids were clearly unsettled.
Don't remember which one of the "episodes" it was.

brtelec
12-17-2015, 09:22 AM
I am not a rabid fan but it is easy to get caught up in it in my family. My oldest daughter is a true Star wars geek. She is a member of the 501st and the Black Death Crew. We have tickets for tonight at 7pm. The hard cores recognize episodes 4 through 6 or the first three. These are her Glocks, pretty much sums it up.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/fzrmax/IMG_5185.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/fzrmax/media/IMG_5185.jpg.html)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/fzrmax/IMG_1116.jpeg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/fzrmax/media/IMG_1116.jpeg.html)

Garyshome
12-17-2015, 09:28 AM
The wife & I will be seeing this one in the theater. We usually wait until it is out on DVD.

cheese1566
12-17-2015, 09:47 AM
some of these postings, feel the dark side I do.

GhostHawk
12-17-2015, 10:17 AM
As a newlywed I went to a Sci-fi fantasy Banquet in full Ferengi with my wife in Starfleet and sporting chains at wrist and neck.

The starfleet pajama boys never forgave me. The Klingons thought it was the best joke ever, and became good friends.
(and had better beer)

Fast forward some 19 years, still here, our costumes don't fit, we are trying our best to age gracefully.
So we quietly deserted the whole sci-fi convention scene years back. Still have a friend or 2 in that world.

Ohh did I mention that I built a dueling light saber years back?

StolzerandSons
12-17-2015, 10:57 AM
same here!
Me me and my brother made countless ships from cardboard and masking tape.
The styrafoam that everything cam packed in back then made excellent snow bases to replicate Hoth in the living room. Dragging up some memories I haven't thought of in years.

I won't be seeing the new movie for a few days but my wife did say we would go on her days off next week.

dtknowles
12-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Will probably go see the movie in the theater. Have see them all including the cartoon series.

Name one of my dogs Yoda and my cat Leia

Tim

MT Gianni
12-17-2015, 11:43 AM
What I like about Star Wars is everyone and there dog getting excited about and armed populace rising up to overthrow a corrupt government. I am amazed Hollywood makes stuff like that as they are so anti-gun for others.
Sci-Fi is basically westerns, Star Trek Deep space 9 is Gunsmoke, Star Wars any armed town overthrowing gangs or rich invaders.

Wayne Smith
12-17-2015, 03:03 PM
What I like about Star Wars is everyone and there dog getting excited about and armed populace rising up to overthrow a corrupt government. I am amazed Hollywood makes stuff like that as they are so anti-gun for others.
Sci-Fi is basically westerns, Star Trek Deep space 9 is Gunsmoke, Star Wars any armed town overthrowing gangs or rich invaders.

It goes back further than that - meideval morality tales - and the bad guy wore a black hat!

gwpercle
12-17-2015, 03:13 PM
They may be anti-gun but light sabre's are OK , for now at least.

The western / sci-fi analogy is right on. Last night I saw a Harrison Ford cowboy- sci-fi movie....Cowboy's and Aliens . Not quite Star Wars but it was interesting.

Gary

bob208
12-17-2015, 03:25 PM
I have two tubes of theater posters for the first star wars. been trying to find out if they are worth anything.

Hickok
12-17-2015, 03:34 PM
Sorry, I am a Harry Calohan fan!

flyingmonkey35
12-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Wookie roar!!!!

steelworker
12-17-2015, 09:18 PM
I have two tubes of theater posters for the first star wars. been trying to find out if they are worth anything.

No, I'm sure they are worthless, hardly even worth recyling. BUT, you can send them to me. ;)

facetious
12-18-2015, 04:58 AM
I hear thy have cookies on the dark side.[smilie=w:

Or so I have heard.[smilie=1:

375supermag
12-18-2015, 05:03 AM
I have seen them all and will see the new one on Christmas day with my wife and son.
I like Star Trek more than Star Wars.

Don't do any collecting of memorabilia or sci-fi conventions, though.

jonp
12-18-2015, 06:31 AM
I am not a rabid fan but it is easy to get caught up in it in my family. My oldest daughter is a true Star wars geek. She is a member of the 501st and the Black Death Crew. We have tickets for tonight at 7pm. The hard cores recognize episodes 4 through 6 or the first three. These are her Glocks, pretty much sums it up.

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/fzrmax/IMG_5185.jpg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/fzrmax/media/IMG_5185.jpg.html)

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc233/fzrmax/IMG_1116.jpeg (http://s217.photobucket.com/user/fzrmax/media/IMG_1116.jpeg.html)

Nice Glocks but ??? I don't get it. Is it something about the wooley mammoth's?

dragon813gt
12-18-2015, 08:28 AM
Nice Glocks but ??? I don't get it. Is it something about the wooley mammoth's?

Mandalorian, not mammoths. Bobba Fett is Mandalorian which is one of the reasons people like the symbol.

Maximumbob54
12-18-2015, 08:55 AM
All the negative posters...

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x333/Maximumbob54/Stupid%20pics/1352865252_27997749_zpslcyqehpc.jpg (http://s1176.photobucket.com/user/Maximumbob54/media/Stupid%20pics/1352865252_27997749_zpslcyqehpc.jpg.html)

brtelec
12-18-2015, 09:18 AM
Saw the movie last night first showing in IMAX 3D. I was not disappointed. After episodes 1 & 2 and most of 3, I wasn't sure how it was going to go.

SharpsShooter
12-18-2015, 09:27 AM
Sorry, I am a Harry Calohan fan!

I believe I'll have to join you on that point.

Electric88
12-18-2015, 11:19 AM
Saw the movie last night first showing in IMAX 3D. I was not disappointed. After episodes 1 & 2 and most of 3, I wasn't sure how it was going to go.

JJ Abrams definitely redeemed Star Wars after the atrocious prequel movies! It was a great movie!

flyingmonkey35
12-18-2015, 11:41 AM
Very very good movie.

MT Gianni
12-18-2015, 12:06 PM
On the lighter side
Why did movies 4, 5, & 6 precede 1, 2, & 3 in the Star Wars series?

In charge, Yoda was.

Blackwater
12-18-2015, 12:38 PM
All stories of the struggle between Good and Evil are interesting, if put together well. I still prefer the Lord of the Rings series, but Star Wars has much to recommend it. It sure beats the heck out of 99% of the stuff coming out of Hollywood today! I plan to see the new episode, and I don't go to movies much these days.

Classic literature always had some element of the struggle between Good and Evil in it, often within a single individual's soul and mind. Conflict is almost always caused by that struggle between real Good and real Evil, even if it's often more subtle than it is in most movies. It seems we NEED to have Good and Evil so clearly outlined today, that stories like the Star Wars series have become the only type we CAN understand. I find that part of it all less than fully, but I'm a bit of a prig about things like that, because I think they're so much more important and vital than most seem to deem them to be today.

That there are so many really good things Hollywood COULD make into movies, if they had the will to, and don't, is pretty much a given today, no matter what your view of the movies out there now. And we keep going to them!

The funny thing about movies today, is that the more action in them, the more we moviegoers tend to want in the NEXT one. It takes increasingly more and more to satisfy us, and get us to shell out the big bucks that it takes now just to go to the movies that once cost 25 cents! And we never seem to realize what's been lost, or the direction it's all headed in! I'll take my grandboys, probably, because they understand the simple concepts involved in the series so far. I just hope they don't wind a lot of modern PC liberal philosophy into it. Prior episodes have woven it in, but it's subtle.

Electric88
12-18-2015, 01:29 PM
I just hope they don't wind a lot of modern PC liberal philosophy into it. Prior episodes have woven it in, but it's subtle.

I didn't notice any PC liberal garbage in this... In retrospect, I could see plenty of opportunities for liberals to squawk, but none for them to praise

dragon813gt
12-18-2015, 01:48 PM
On the lighter side
Why did movies 4, 5, & 6 precede 1, 2, & 3 in the Star Wars series?

In charge, Yoda was.

Because the story after Anakin became Vader is more compelling. The first three is more about politics than anything. Lucas had a structure for the backstory but it wasn't fully written.

I like the first three movies. Jar Jar is just as annoying as C3PO. Kids that saw them don't have the hatred for them that adults do. Expecting them to live up to the first three was an unattainable goal.

GOPHER SLAYER
12-18-2015, 04:58 PM
I have a watched few scenes on the TV but never watched the movie. I have seen Mel Brooks space movie and I thought it was funny. Star Trek is stupid beyond belief.

Blackwater
12-18-2015, 10:19 PM
I didn't notice any PC liberal garbage in this... In retrospect, I could see plenty of opportunities for liberals to squawk, but none for them to praise

Yes, like I said, what there was of it was pretty subtle, and would be missed by most. I tend to be a more critical listener than most, simply because of my background, so I notice the little things that often are missed. It's worth going to see, though. No film or idea is going to please everyone 100% these days, as fractious as we've become. I tend to be comfortable with a degree of imperfection these days, and am not quite as priggish or sensitive or easily upset as I once was. I'll take "good" any day, and don't pursue "perfect" like I used to at least try to do. I found perfection too hard for me to attain, and unless I can achieve it, how can I dis someone else for not doing what I can't do? That's just me, of course, but I DO at least like to recognize things for what they are. It keeps me sharper to do it that way. YMMV, as always.

MT Gianni
12-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Because the story after Anakin became Vader is more compelling. The first three is more about politics than anything. Lucas had a structure for the backstory but it wasn't fully written.

I like the first three movies. Jar Jar is just as annoying as C3PO. Kids that saw them don't have the hatred for them that adults do. Expecting them to live up to the first three was an unattainable goal.
I heard an interesting commentary at the time that much of the hate for jar jar was racial. Island dweller with a strong regional accent, large facial characteristics etc. I found him amusing but not nearly as irritating as the small fuzzy critters.

Blammer
12-18-2015, 11:13 PM
Mee tooo dee too. :)

going to take the family tomorrow to see the movie. Ought to be good!

Brett Ross
12-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Saw the first one at 15, in 1977. I am somewhat ashamed to say i took off work early Thursdsy and waited in line for the first showing. To my surprise I was not the only fifty something in that line.

jonp
12-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Its playing at the drive-in up the road. A guy was standing out front dressed as Darth Vader waving at cars. Might be cool on the BIG screen

fouronesix
12-19-2015, 10:54 PM
:) To appreciate these type movies, and that also applies to some literature, it takes a level of imagination.

As to Episode 1 being produced out of chronological order?? After the fact and building on a history of success, the producers obviously felt there was still potential for a development of the early history of the "Vader" character along with other details of the theme.

The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movie series are likewise out of chronological order, however the entire framework by Tolkien has been in written form for a long time- slightly different though for Lucas' Star Wars.

I really liked Episode 1 and enjoyed the Jar Jar Binks character for the great imagination used in his development…. along with the Gungan civilization in general. The original themes of Star Wars seemed to be maintained in Episode 1.

Additionally, the actor who played Darth Maul in Episode 1, Ray Park, is a sure enough highly ranked and talented martial arts guy from England. For me that added a refreshing quality to the movie because "special effects" didn't have to trick out the light saber fights as much as would ordinarily be done with a normal actor.

For some reason I was disappointed in Episode 2, so didn't see any more of the series including Episode 3 and the Clone Wars. But I've heard this one is good, so looking forward to seeing it once things settle down a little.

GaryN
12-20-2015, 01:40 AM
I saw a couple of them but that was it. I liked the first one but just like most sequels the next ones weren't as good to me.

oldred
12-20-2015, 11:22 AM
My favorite scene was when Quigly,,,,,,,,errr wait wrong, (but much better) movie!

rking22
12-21-2015, 08:04 PM
Yes, but I won't stand in line for it(or much of anything else for that matter). I saw the first one at 18 and thought it was a great story. The next 2 were good as well, but, like others have said, I saw the first of the "episode" things and have never watched the other 2, even on TV. I hope to not be disappointed in this one, sounds as if it may be good.
I have been accused of becoming Yoda, I take it as a compliment :)

troyboy
12-21-2015, 08:13 PM
Star Wars. The Greatest movie series of all time.

snuffy
12-21-2015, 10:34 PM
I Will wait til it comes out on DVD. I hate crowds, especially in movie theaters. I ALWAYS get stuck directly in front of some damn kid that's kicking my seat, or spilling his soda on me. I just can't have that kind of invasion of my personal space. I haven't been to a movie in a theater in over 15 years. Well the last time was star wars episode 6.

Doggonekid
12-22-2015, 01:45 AM
I just got back from Star Wars 7. It was one of the best movies I have seen in years. I love to hear the little kids around me get so excited when key parts of the move would be shown. I won't spoil it for anybody but it is a great show and very enjoyable. May the Force be with you.

tdoyka
12-22-2015, 02:41 AM
I hear thy have cookies on the dark side.[smilie=w:

Or so I have heard.[smilie=1:

dude, i'm there!!!
https://a.disquscdn.com/get?url=http%3A%2F%2Forig01.deviantart.net%2F0069% 2Ff%2F2008%2F221%2F5%2F0%2Fcome_to_the_darkside_by _sali666.jpg&key=-aEh4prHpMRbGPgb9oLwYQ

facetious
12-22-2015, 05:44 AM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Cookies!