PDA

View Full Version : I'm new.

HB0708
12-16-2015, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm as new to bullet casting as you can get. I've been reloading for my hunting rifles for a long time but never gave bullet casting any thought. I recently got my first handgun (.45acp) and want to start casting bullets for it. I know nothing except what I've read for the past couple of weeks. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of this forum someday. Until then, I hope you'll tolerate my uneducated questions. Thanks in advance, and I'm happy to be here.

Calamity Jake
12-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Welcome, ask your ?'s someone will answer.
As for casting for the 45 ACP it's one of the easiest.

sparky45
12-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Jake's absolutely right! 45acp is not only one of the easiest to cast for, it's a caliber that has a plethora of Molds to choose from. BTW, welcome to the Forum and remember there's no such thing as a stupid question. That said, there are those on this forum that will quickly point out that if you dig a little through the information contained within you'll problem find your answer.
S45

brstevns
12-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Welcome, ask plenty of questions and also check out the sticky forum where a lot of common answers can be found. No such thing as a dumb question.

country gent
12-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Ask question, read the stickys and other information ( a investment in the Lyman cast bullet reloading manual is a great idea), Try and do find what works for you. But most of all be safe. Enjoy and welcome to the addiction. As stated above 45 acp is one of the better rounds to start with simple, alot of published data, alot of available reloading equipment tools, moulds are readily available, and the biggest it is normally rewarding with simple effort. Work slow and keep good notes as to what youve done and tried along with results. A stenogrophers note book divided into sections works good.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-16-2015, 06:02 PM
welcome aboard HB.
One of the best things to start you casting equipment collection is the Lyman cast bullet handbook 4th Ed.
http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-4Th/dp/B004DWBKQY/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450302923&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Lyman+cast+bullet+handbook+4th+Ed
While there is an incredible amount of info here and other websites, reading through the first half of this handbook, will give you a basic overall knowledge of the things you'll need to know and the proper terminology. The second half of the book is load data, which for some calibers is tough to find...it'll be a valued resource throughout all the years of your casting hobby.
Good Luck

williamwaco
12-16-2015, 06:29 PM
. 45 ACP is the easiest cartridge to load accurate ammo for. I like the 200 great SWC. Do note that cases come with two different primer sizes.

aspangler
12-16-2015, 06:30 PM
As stated above there are no dumb questions. One exception to that. A question that is not asked is the ONLY dumb question. I cast for years before finding this site and the great members here and didn't know how many mistakes I was making until I got here and started reading. Read the stickies and ask your questions.
BTW Welcome to the forum and happy casting.
A footnote. casting is fun and rewarding but can also be dangerous. Read all you can about the Tinsel Fairy and be safe.

toallmy
12-16-2015, 07:16 PM
Welcome #1 saftey #2 fun get a lot of primers , and find a way to catch your brass. Good luck

bedbugbilly
12-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Welcome to the forum! Great folks here who will try and answer any questions you might have.

As far as casting . . . don't "over think" it. The best way to learn is to just "have at it". Just remember that you are dealing with molten lead and act accordingly . . . safety glasses, gloves, no bare skin . . .

I don't load 45 ACP but I do load 45 Colt . . one of the boolits I use is from my Ideal 452-460 200 gr. wc mold. They drop like butter! Enjoy, be safe and we all look forward to seeing you on here!

And you and yours have a "Merry Christmas" and a safe holiday!

03fatboy
12-16-2015, 07:38 PM
You have come to the place,I have learned and I'm still learning everything from this forum and the Lyman book is very good.
Check out the stickys and the search box is your friend.

Welcome and remember to be safe and enjoy the addiction.

GRUMPA
12-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm as new to bullet casting as you can get. I've been reloading for my hunting rifles for a long time but never gave bullet casting any thought. I recently got my first handgun (.45acp) and want to start casting bullets for it. I know nothing except what I've read for the past couple of weeks. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of this forum someday. Until then, I hope you'll tolerate my uneducated questions. Thanks in advance, and I'm happy to be here.

I hope your not prone to getting headaches, with all the info in this site getting a headache from information overload is easy...

Pb Burner
12-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Welcome! Loads of great people and info here. Read the "stickys", they will answer most questions. 45acp was the first handgun cartridge I loaded for. Two things that made the most difference for me with 45 were seating depth and amount of crimp.
Have fun!

twc1964
12-16-2015, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the obsession that is casting, lol. The 45acp is a fun round to load for. I started with j-words and graduated to boolits. As said above, crimp is the one place you can mess up slightly . Just crimp enuff to remove the flare on the case mouth. Lots of info to read here so pull up a chair, crack open a cold one and learn. Have fun

retread
12-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Welcome HBO708. You have found the right place. I have been blessed with information from the folks here for the last couple of years. You will never stop learning. Your own experience and those of others here will keep you going.

Merry Christmas to you.

toallmy
12-17-2015, 08:17 AM
:popcorn:I put off casting for 20-30 year's because I thought it was magic gosh deg it . I missed all this fun. Be safe ,and get started.:takinWiz:

lightman
12-17-2015, 10:17 AM
Welcome Aboard. The 45 is a good choice to start with, and there is a big selection of molds to choose from. As suggested, buy the Lyman book, read the stickies, and even read back several pages of the threads that interest you. Now start scrounging for lead!

tinhorn97062
12-17-2015, 11:05 AM
I literally spent weeks reading stuff on this forum before ever casting my first boolit. I can say, with confidence, that there is a near endless wealth of knowledge available for the one who chooses to put forth the effort to seek it out.

That said- welcome! Feel free to ask question when you have them. You'll get solid answers in pretty short order.

HB0708
12-17-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the welcome! I've just been trying to get familiar with the site. I've read the first few pages on most of the sticky posts in the forums that I think I'll need most, and I did a few searches for some specific topics that I'm interested in. There is a TON of information. Good thing work is slow right now. I can already tell that this will be addicting.

BACKTOSHOOTING
12-17-2015, 01:49 PM
And as a bonus you will save lots of money :kidding: Welcome

gwpercle
12-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Welcome aboard .
The 45 acp was my first semi-auto round to load for . Never gave me any problems and no question is dumb when your starting a new venture.
Addicting yes but lots of fun !
Gary

Hickok
12-17-2015, 03:49 PM
Hello.

Good to hear you are getting involved in casting. Most of us here think jacketed bullets are just a fad and will soon disappear the same way as disco music and polyester suits!:lovebooli

HB0708
12-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Most of us here think jacketed bullets are just a fad and will soon disappear the same way as disco music and polyester suits!:lovebooli

And the Internet...:bigsmyl2:

zardoz
12-17-2015, 04:22 PM
In November of 2008, I too was brand new to casting and reloading. Something happened that month, that motivated me to dive in full bore. The 45 ACP was the first cartridge I ever cast a boolit for. Lee 230 grain tumble lube. Unique was the first powder I bought. Since then, now have 5 reloading presses for brass cartridge, 3 presses for shotgun shells, and a collection of lead ingots, brass, primers, powders, and a thousand different other tools. It sort of "mushroomed" on me, and before I knew it I had invested quite a chunk of change in the art and science.

Along the way, I learned a massive amount of things, and I am still learning every time I go shooting. It's been quite the fast journey. At this point, I still have not tried the powder coating methods for boolit lube, but I have the materials and tools already in storage.

Now, I have sufficient stuff to last the rest of my life I believe, and not ever have to buy another center fire factory cartridge. Which is good, since I retired at the end of 2014.

Still, I remember the joy of having my first cast and hand loaded 45ACP fire, and hit the target. It was a sense of power gained like few other times in my life. Welcome aboard.

Dave C.
12-17-2015, 04:38 PM
To get the most from your new 45acp look around in your area for a NRA Precision pistol leage or match.

Dave C.

wv109323
12-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Welcome Aboard !! Tell us a little more about the firearm and your intentions and we will help spend all your money and more.

gwpercle
12-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Hello.

Good to hear you are getting involved in casting. Most of us here think jacketed bullets are just a fad and will soon disappear the same way as disco music and polyester suits!:lovebooli

I have two polyester leisure suits in the back of my closet ....I'm sure they will come back in style.
I saw young girls wearing bell bottoms at the mall yesterday !
Gary

jeepyj
12-17-2015, 07:49 PM
Welcome aboard to a wonderful place. Since joining this site my casting / shooting have become so much more accurate and proficient. Plus I have met 5 other members in my state that are like minded and one in particular that has become a good friend. Enjoy!
jeepyj

HB0708
12-18-2015, 10:11 AM
Welcome Aboard !! Tell us a little more about the firearm and your intentions and we will help spend all your money and more.

The weapon is a Springfield 1911-A1 in stainless. I've never owned a handgun and truth be told when I took it out yesterday for it's maiden voyage, that was only the sixth time I had ever shot one. I put two magazines through it and then turned in this group for mags 3-5 at 20 yards off hand with factory Blazer Brass ammo.

I'm super stoked at how well it shoots right out of the box. Like I said, I'm a newbie at handguns, so I'm positive a more experienced/competent handgunner could print an even tighter group. I'm excited to start hand loading for this one and even more excited for whenever I get my first bullets cast for it!

marlin39a
12-18-2015, 10:34 AM
I jumped into reloading and casting at the same time almost 40 yrs ago. Best hobby I've found. You've found the right place for anything related to both.