PDA

View Full Version : lube???

HB0708
12-16-2015, 05:05 PM
Hi. I'm newer than new to casting. I've never even cast a bullet. I'm trying to get set up and have been researching all the things I'll need.

I want to cast for .45acp and 45LC. I don't want to use just LLA because I've heard it can be sticky and I worry that I'll get too much on and then run a projectile down my barrel that has grit stuck to it. I have two questions. First for low velocity rounds, do I need a stick lube? I would guess no, but I've read some conflicting information. Second, if I can just use a tumble lube, I think I've narrowed it down to Rooster Jacket (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746916/rooster-jacket-waterproof-bullet-film-lube-and-paper-patch-lube-16-oz) or the BLL lube (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-!-!-T-L-Liquid-Lube&highlight=johnson) found on this site. Any input on what would be best to start with for a newbie?

thanks!

35 shooter
12-16-2015, 05:15 PM
I've been using BLL all summer and that's what my hunting boolits are lubed with right now. I'm using 3 coats for the 35 whelen at 2200+ fps.

Takes about 1 minute to make 60% alox and 40% JLW and shake to mix...done! I wait about 2 hrs. to apply each coat and it dries overnight.

I've been using Ben's Red for quite a while and the BLL performs just as well for me....i've become a tumble lube junkie!

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-16-2015, 06:06 PM
For tumble lubing, BLL is the easiest and most trouble free.

flyingmonkey35
12-16-2015, 06:13 PM
You could go powder coat with the shake an bake method. No lla grade or lube.

Shake n bake is cheap to setup.

Yodogsandman
12-16-2015, 06:19 PM
BLL is so simple and easy to make and use! Mix 60% Liquid Alox with 40% Johnsons liquid floor wax and that's it! Just a little goes a long way. One coat should be fine for pistol and revolver rounds. Put about 50 boolits in a plastic tub with 8 to 10 drops of BLL and swirl them around until coated. Set them on a non-stick surface like wax paper and let them dry for a couple of hours (or overnight). They dry with no stickiness. No fuss at all!

One other note, I size before coating with BLL. If you size afterwards, it will need to be reapplied.

I've been shooting BLL in my 45ACP since about August. It's become my "go to" lube for everything! I also use it in my .308 (7.62x51) and 35 Whelen without any problems at all. Accuracy is great!

williamwaco
12-16-2015, 06:19 PM
I have been a big fan of LLA For several years but I converted to BLL a few months ago and will never go back.

PS: Rooster Jacket is great but sadly no longer available.

randyrat
12-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Wow! I make and sell lube, but for low pressure bullets BLL is hard to beat. Speed and effectiveness is unmatched.. I have a bottle of it also! Ben is the Man!

Of course, I must say that TAC 1 or TAC X should be in your arsenal for when you decide to go wild and crazy

GhostHawk
12-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Bll here on everything.

Easy to make, reasonably priced, a little goes a long way, needs no hard to find ingredients, does not require a lot of time to make or use, is pretty mess free.

Boolit fit is still king, if boolit is undersized chances are it will lead.
Lee molds are IMO fine for starting out, and not hard to work on if they are falling a bit short of the size you need.

The only real trick is learning to use just enough to turn your shiny boolits dull. Not really enough to see. If you do it right you can put on 3 thin coats in an hour, give them another hour to finish drying and load them.

I have been wiping the noses of my BLL boolits once loaded with a towel with a quarter sized spot of BLL on it. This makes it slicks, shines the bullets up, puts a very thin smooth coat on the nose. My targets are telling me that it is more accurate but may not be a lot of difference.
It doesn't take long and just adds some pride of ownership.

dragon813gt
12-16-2015, 10:37 PM
For tumble lube you can't beat BLL. Other lubes depend on how you want to apply it. I personally wouldn't bother w/ pan lubing. Buy a lube sizer if you want to fill the grooves. In this case any of the lubes from White Label will work well.

C. Latch
12-16-2015, 10:53 PM
Unless you're making ruger-only loads for your .45 Colt, tumble lubing with alox is pretty much foolproof.

I put my bullets in a tub with a few drops of JPW, shake them around to lube them, push them through a Lee sizing die (.452) then put them back in the same little tub and add a drop of alox (about the size of an english pea) for every pound or so of bullets. Add another drop of JPW (english pea or smaller), swish them around, let them dry.

No matter how many replies you read, you will put too much lube on your first batch of bullets. They'll shoot fine anyway, they'll just be a bit smoky.

fryboy
12-17-2015, 12:22 AM
I have been a big fan of LLA For several years but I converted to BLL a few months ago and will never go back.

PS: Rooster Jacket is great but sadly no longer available.

umm william amigo ..it actually is , i've mentioned this a coupla few times, it was brought back by someone whom either bought it from the old guy who used to do it or sweet talked him into letting them do it , what's not available is the HVR and the zambini ( in stock at the link albeit at around $ 3-4 more than it used to be )

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746916/rooster-jacket-waterproof-bullet-film-lube-and-paper-patch-lube-16-oz

fact is alox ermm LLA works , yes it smells like alox ( the downfall for me and me sensitive snooter ) less is more , thinning it down with mineral spirits helps as does several thin coats vs. a heavier one or few , if one buys the lee sizing dies there is no reason whatsoever to not use it for something [shrugz]

much better is the 45-45-10 i refer to as recluse juice , works a bit better , dries faster ( and i mean actually dries ) whie label lubes sells it already made so it too has a proven history

i'm one of a few who like rooster jacket ...the main problem is that it's as clear as my crystal ball eg; hard to tell once applied ( other than a lack of oxidization later that is ) it's also a great paper patch lube , the bonus for me is that it doesnt have the offensive distinct burnt smell of alox , for 38's and 45 acp's and other non demanding applications i simply love it

i havent tried BLL yet ( got alot of tumbling to do before i even run low of what i got for the main reason )

HB0708
12-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm still trying to decide if I need a bullet sizer. From what I've read, some people say they're necessary and others say they're not needed at all, so I'm still weighing my options. If I go with the sizer, it just makes sense to do the BLL since I'll have alox that comes with the lee sizer anyway. If I don't get a sizer right away, I might try Rooster Jacket.

flyingmonkey35
12-18-2015, 01:18 AM
Hb0708 I don't think anyone on this forum would tell you a sizer is a bad investment.

However getting the correct size for your firearm is the key to sizing good Boolits no matter what lube you choose to use.

In that regards slug your barrel and go 1thousands of a inch larger and you are dead on.

runfiverun
12-18-2015, 11:53 AM
the sizer is a pretty good QA/QC area to find your rejects and make sure you have everything the same size.
it sucks to be running along all nice and happy then be cursing that live round halfway in the chamber, or binding up the cylinder on your single action revolver.

williamwaco
12-18-2015, 01:35 PM
Fryboy.

That is great news. Only two weeks ago.. I was searching for it and all my contact information and Google let me down!