PDA

View Full Version : Quigley Shoot

Boz330
04-17-2008, 11:02 AM
A buddy and I have been wanting to go to the Quigley for several years now and figured we better do it before fuel hits $6 a gallon.
We were figuring on taking a camper since we heard that it can be parked on or near the range and their doesn't seem to be much around there. Now the questions.
Who do I need to get ahold of?
Is there some sort of an application?
Types of events?
Basically I know nothing except it sounds like a lot of fun, and good folks. So jump in with your stories or info, inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks
Bob

Jon K
04-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Here's details Shiloh has it posted:
http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10639

Boz330
04-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks Jon.

Bob

Bullshop
04-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Just get there, the rest is easy as falling off a log. Brig plenty of ammo so you can get your sight settings before the match begins.
OH yea bring lots a money so when you walk vendors row you can walk with confidance.
When the match begins think FUN. My first try on my first target I was shakin so bad I couldnt hit the chamber of my rifle with a fresh cartridge.
Then after I had a little talk with me and got calmed down I cleaned the next couple targets.
Just settle down and do what you know you can do, just like at home, no differant.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Boz330
04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Didn't think I had enough brass for the whole thing, I was just going to bring extra components.
I'm nothing like a serious competitor I do this game for FUN. I have competed in other sports nationally and internationally and I'm to old for that sort of intensity anymore. Not enough life left to get that amped over anything.

Bob

Gussy
04-17-2008, 01:13 PM
The "Q" is simply fun!! Plan on a lot of shooting and BS ing. No cost other than $20.00 or so to register the day of the shoot. There are a couple of dinners if you choose to go and they are extra.

BRING:
Sun screen (got a burn the first day a few years back and had to wear a long sleeve shirt in 100 degree temps)
A coat. It's chilly in the morning and sometimes durring the day.
A range cart. It's a long heavy carry from one end to the other.
A folding chair is nice.
A hat is good when the suns out and it usually is. More sun screen.
Cross sticks, a pad to sit on which also helps keep things clean. It can get dusty.
Rain coat just in case. Tie downs for really stormy weather (ask about 2 years ago!!)

Plan for as much as you can ahead of time.

Beerd
04-17-2008, 02:21 PM
and wear your "Cast Boolits" hat / tee shirt so we knows who you are!
:castmine:

EDK
04-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Be ready for serious cross winds...on your camper and your targets. One guy with the little weather thingie measured a 42 MPH crosswind last year on Sunday...it also hailed $2000 worth on my '06 Impala in Forsyth; but not at the range 7 miles away that morning. And it was definitely CARHART weather. A few days before you needed sun screen and a hat.

The only ammenity at the range is porta potties. Isn't likely, but I'd try the motels in Forsyth if they aren't booked up. Towing a trailer versus motel prices? Food is usually available by Friday at the range...Boy Scouts, etc.

I'm driving from St Louis and my brother from Nampa ID. 4th year and wouldn't miss it!

Only thing missing would be that Mike Venturio, Steve Brooks, Steve Garbe, etc would be there. There's another big shoot somewhere and "the big boys" go there rather than Quigley. This is a good time match and damn few guys out for blood. It's a big visit and a chance to meet people from various forums, etc. The only thing they lack is "no good #$%%^;" there's an acute shortage of unpleasant people!

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Don McDowell
04-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Bob you can pull up the flier at bpcr.net
You'll need 48 rounds for the match. Don't forget some sort of gun cart , the firing line is about 3/8 of a mile long and you will cover the whole thing before you get done on Sunday.
Be prepared for anything and everything from snow and drizzle to 102 and windy.
Be sure and practice your off hand shooting before you go. The rifle you start the match with is the only one you can use, so taking a 20lb rig, will bite you on the off hand target, ie the bucket and its only 385 yds out.:-D
Lots of shooters and spectators, all looking to have a good time.
The biggest dissappointment for me was the lack of manufacturers, and bigtime vendors present. CSharps will have a good display, and the Shiloh folks will be there, as will Axtell, but that's about the size of em.
There will be some smaller vendors with nice geegaws to look at tho.:mrgreen:
Have fun.Its one thing every bpcr shooter should do at least once.

John Boy
04-24-2008, 10:45 PM
BRING:
And ... Visine! If you don't use it for your eyes - put it on your patches! [smilie=1:

Bob, if your in need of a gun cart - give these a look ... Mustang Woodcrafters (http://www.mustangwoodcrafters.com/)

hiram
04-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Page 44 of the May 2008 American Rifleman............