PDA

View Full Version : Grafs Powder any good?

waarp8nt
12-15-2015, 10:55 PM
I have to make a trip to St. Louis and thought about picking up a couple pounds of powder. I have almost always used Goex, but the Grafs powder gets some good reviews and is a couple dollars cheaper per pound.

aspangler
12-15-2015, 11:11 PM
I use it with no problems. Haven't noticed any degraded accuracy. Had to up the charge 5 grains to get back to what my guns like.

Pyro&Black
12-15-2015, 11:25 PM
If money is not an issue, seek-out either Olde Eynsford or Swiss. With Graf's, you likely will need five more grains to match Goex. With either OE or Swiss, you may reduce your normal Goex load by five grains.

Plus both OE and Swiss granule size for their FF about equals the size of Goex FFF. So that's a saver too.

kungfustyle
12-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Graf's is a great company. If you have any problems they make it right. I'd buy it.

swathdiver
12-16-2015, 09:47 AM
Graf's black powder is Schuetzen powder. Compared with regular Goex, we found it to smoke less and foul slightly less and power seemed to be the same. The kids and I like smoke, so we went with the then new Goex Olde Eynsford when we refilled our powder magazines. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again but Olde E is near as powerful as Swiss and 777. If the extra oompf is not a concern, then by all means use it, it's great powder.

Maven
12-16-2015, 12:12 PM
I've used 11 lb. of Graf's BP, which is manufactured by Wano. I found it to be cleaner burning than Goex, but not slower. No difference in accuracy though.

fouronesix
12-16-2015, 03:34 PM
Grafs Powder any good?

Who knows?

I've burned a lot of Graf BP in my muzzleloaders and like it. Which of course means nothing because the next X number of shooters will say the same about any number of (fill in the blank) brands.

The question, "What is Graf powder?", comes up often. Interesting how the answer is always the same :) Here's a pic of the bottom of a Graf BP container- FYI.

ogre
12-16-2015, 04:01 PM
I have used over 50 lb. of Grafs powder and my experiences parallel Maven's.

odfairfaxsub
12-17-2015, 07:27 PM
Great stuff

waarp8nt
12-18-2015, 08:03 PM
Gents, Thanks for the replies. Don't really trust all the stuff I read on the internet, but the folks here tend to know what they are talking about...that's why I came asking. Might try a pound of Olde E for shins and giggles.

iron mule
12-24-2015, 12:26 PM
been using it for years prbly went thru about 500 lbs and never had any issues
burns good and clean ///fouls less// clean up is easy// highly recommend it
mule

Squeeze
12-25-2015, 07:23 PM
Ive used plenty of it. that made by/ imported by on the label is funny. Ive heard Its repackaged Schutzen, and or Wano. Its residuals are a bit more gummy than goex, but always shot well for me in both 2&3f through many different guns. It IS real close to Schutzen, I havent had Wano in so long I barely remember how it was. Its not quite as hot as goex, and the premiums, but its good stuff cheap.

will52100
01-03-2016, 06:34 AM
I've probably burned 50 pounds of Graf's over the last few years, mostly in cartridge and cap and ball revolvers. For long range and flinters I use Swiss. From my experience, Goex as a rule sucks, hard fouling, inaccurate, large velocity differences. That said I tried some Goex Olde Ensford and was pleasantly surprised, very clean burning, pretty potent, I don't know yet if it's as hot and consistent as Swiss, but I'll be getting some more of it to test.

From my experience, Graft's is a step up from standard Goex, but a step short of Swiss. It's a lot cheaper than Swiss as well. Swiss and Olde Ensford are sporting powders, Graf's is a good all around powder, fouling is softer and easier to clean than Goex, less deviation on velocity, ect. I will not buy standard Goex again, unless maybe to load shot shells.

451 Pete
01-03-2016, 10:11 AM
As I recall a few years back a discussion came up about some powder distributors having powder labeled with their name on the label down at Friendship. I was told that if a distributor purchased a certain amount of powder, something on the order of 2000 lbs. , that they could have a label put on the can with their name on it. Now as to what powder was supplied to that distributor to be repackaged and labeled I cant say, so what I would do is to buy a small quantity and give it a try first, to see if it does what you want before buying a larger amount. It may be offered to the distributor at a discounted pricing as something may not be exactly the same in that lot of powder when it was made as is offered in the standard packaging of that brand.

Just my thoughts ... Pete

craig61a
01-03-2016, 10:42 AM
I've never had any problems with it - good powder.