PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Powder Measure Stand Question

10-14-2005, 11:56 PM
Are Lyman Powder Measure stands made of cast iron. I like my RCBS stands, but there is alot to be said for heavy cast iron on the reloading bench IMHO. Would like to hear from someone who has recently purchased Lymans stand.

flaco
10-24-2005, 02:51 PM
4296-

I can't answer your question about the cast iron, but I have a Lyman powder measure.

I tried mounting it on my turret, but the adaptors seemed sloppy. I didn't like it squiggling around when I was trying to throw cylindrical powders.

Instead of getting the Lyman stand, which uses at least one of these same parts, I just made a C shaped stand, three pieces of plywood, the base of which I C clamp to my bench.

This was easy, the measure is now mounted with the clamp in the back, which precludes movement, and... I saved the $25. Or whatever it is.

Good luck,

flaco

Singletree
10-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Bought my Lyman stand about 3 years ago, cast iron. There is a bit of movement between the drop tube and measure body unless the screw for changing the drop tube is tighened down well. That is if your using the Lyman 55 measure.

boogerred
11-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Bought my Lyman stand about 3 years ago, cast iron. There is a bit of movement between the drop tube and measure body unless the screw for changing the drop tube is tighened down well. That is if your using the Lyman 55 measure.
i found a solution for the "wobbly".i found a plastic tube that fits over the drop tube and cut it to 1/2".i tighten the drop tube into the measure,slip an o-ring over the drop tube,then the spacer,then tighten the press adapter against it all.you can then use a die lock nut to snug it all in your press.i also took a piece of 3/16x1 1/2" flat bar,drilled a 7/8" hole in one end and bent my own measure stand i c-clamp to my bench.i use this for my rcbs little dandy and UPM.you need 2 locknuts for these.