PDA

View Full Version : Bullet boxes

Bazoo
12-15-2015, 12:58 AM
What type of bullet boxes do yall like? I've used MTM boxes a fair amount. And, if I recall correctly, midway boxes were pretty decent.

Pavogrande
12-15-2015, 02:43 AM
I like inexpensive ones :-) -- Generally I prefer lift top --
I recently got a few of the midway paper box, foam base boxes.
OK, but rather fragile foam -- not sure if they will be suitable for frequent use.
I have some of the midway 209, 20 round lift top -- they are ok as well

toallmy
12-15-2015, 05:16 AM
50 or 100 round flip top plastic boxes frome midway, or midsouthern 3-5 bucks work pretty good. For bulk pistal I just pick a big plastic tub .I bought some of the midway 50 round plastic boxes 20 years ago , and the onely ones that have broke were the ones I dropped. The newer boxes are different now but I like the case gard boxes . I am not shore how long the hinged lids are going to hold up on the newer ones .

1_Ogre
12-15-2015, 07:23 AM
I use the boxes from Dillon. Hard to beat the price and I haven't worn one out yet. If you buy them in the 50 lot quantity, get some others that need boxes and split them up. Can't beat the price and they are durable as the day is long

dale2242
12-15-2015, 08:39 AM
I use the smaller metal tins that cookies, candy, etc. comes in.
I stand them on end with light cardboard between the layers....dale

rondog
12-15-2015, 08:43 AM
Never liked any of the plastic boxes, they take up way too much space. I use the white cardboard boxes from Midway, been using them for years, haven't worn any out yet. I bought a 100 count of each size, still have scads of new unused ones in each size.

I also use 1"x2 5/8" Avery Removable labels on them to ID what's inside and all the load details. Made up templates in Word for all my calibers and just fill in the bullet/powder/weight details with a pen. I'll try to take some photos.

S. Galbraith
12-15-2015, 09:00 AM
I like MTMs, but there are a lot of good quality fish in the sea.

alamogunr
12-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Are you referring to loaded rounds or boolits? I just use any large plastic jar(peanut butter, etc.) for boolits since I don't size/lube until I'm ready to load.

Wild Bill 7
12-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Bought some Midway plastic flip top boxes for 30-06, 44 and 41, 45, 38 or 357 back a long time ago. Still have some that have never been used. Great cases and only dropped two that broke. That was about 25 years ago. Now I need to finish loading the new ones. Problem is I keep emptying the ones I fill up. Oh well it is a lot of fun. ��

EddieNFL
12-15-2015, 08:57 PM
.30 and .50 cal cans for ammo and 20MM cans for brass.

bangerjim
12-15-2015, 09:22 PM
I use Berry's plastic boxes (50 count only) for primed stock. I have more of those than I care to admit!!!!!!!

Then, after loading, the carts go into the appropriate size "white box"/styro insert box from Midway. I have tons of those and really like them. I hot foil stamp my custom logos onto the flattened boxes B4 filling them, and put a stick caliber sticker on one end and load data sticker on the top under my logo. Thank God for WORD and Avery stick-on labels!

Works fir me.

Gofaaast
12-15-2015, 09:39 PM
For all my loaded cartridges I use MTM. My only box to ever break is the only Midway (Frankfort Arsenal) box that I ever bought. I did once buy a MTM that had a insert that was not fully injected from the factory. The very nice lady I talked to in customer service had a new one to me in a couple days. She also asked for input for new product ideas.

Hick
12-15-2015, 09:48 PM
I like the 50 round flip tops. I had one old plastic 5 round box with a plastic hinge (one piece) that is not nearly as nice as a flip-top, but I cut it off low and use it as an extra loading block. Boxes with a proper hinge work much nicer.

fast ronnie
12-15-2015, 09:52 PM
MTM Case Guard. I like them because the rounds don't get banged up against each other. I got some I've had for over 30 years.

LabGuy
12-16-2015, 12:52 PM
I keep bullets in peanut butter jars. Cartridges tend to go in some variety of MTM, and placed in GI ammo cans.

mdi
12-16-2015, 01:11 PM
I once had a few "slip top" plastic boxes for my rifle ammo. A couple times I picked up a box only to have the lid slip off and all my perfect, clean, accurate, ammo spill out on the ground. I think I left two at the range (trash can) and the others are somewhere in my shop? I use zip-top plastic bags for load development and hinged lid plastic boxes for all the rest...

Mike Kerr
12-16-2015, 06:09 PM
I use caliber specific plastic boxes (cases) for all rifle rounds which just seems necessary to me. Pistol calibers likewise go into plastic cases until I have a few of a loading type which I can label with pertinent loading data - then the rest of a loading run go into cases for a final check of primer seating visual check of OAL - they are then dumped into metal ammo cans so I can grab what I need for each range session - putting them into zip lock type baggies for packing ease in my range bag. I have several brands of plastic cases on the shelf and they all work well until you drop one full of ammo on concrete- then they usually crack. I like the ones that some people include in trades because they are virtually free and I sure hate to pay for them when you don't need to.

375supermag
12-16-2015, 07:52 PM
I have always used the 50 and 100rd plastic flip top boxes. Different manufacturers...all seem to be quite durable.

Lately my son bought a bunch of plastic bulk ammo cans. We have been using them for the large quantities of target/plinking rounds we go through. We carry one in each of the calibers that we are shooting on any given day.

We still keep hunting and test loads searated in 50 or 100rd plastic boxes.

Steve Steven
12-16-2015, 10:07 PM
I wanted to put up some 5.56/.223 for storage that were loose in ammo can. I found a guy on line who had printed/foldable 30rd boxes very cheap, I think less than $.25 each. " REPACKBOX.COM " is on the ones I have left, they were cheap and worked.

URL http://www.repackbox.com/items/buy-ammo-boxes/223-winchester-detail.htm

Steve

C. Latch
12-16-2015, 10:13 PM
I try to keep rifle ammo in those flip-top plastic things but calibers I don't load much of go back in factory boxes.

Pistol ammo goes in whatever large jars I have handy. Cast projectiles go in whatever containers I have handy. We eat lots of nuts and the kids drink lots of ovaltine powder and the wife buys lots of lunch meat in the reusable plastic containers and I just use those for storage as much as possible. Coconut oil comes in gallon jars and they make great bulk ammo holders.

warpspeed
12-16-2015, 10:15 PM
I like the Dillon ones but I must confess I grab the factory boxes from the trash at the range.

toallmy
12-17-2015, 07:45 AM
[smilie=s:A 5gal bucket for shotshells , but don't fill to the top. Ice cream 1 gal bucket for empty brass at the range.

W.R.Buchanan
12-17-2015, 05:29 PM
I use these. They are Free with Lunch Meats. I like the Hillshire Farms stuff. These things are good quality, and stack very well. I use them for Boolits, Bullets, and small brass..

For Larger Brass like rifle cartridges I use "Swiffer" containers. They come in two sizes one is Shoe Box size and the other is Half Shoe Box size. The big ones will hold 200 rounds of .30-06 size cases and the half size one will hold 100.

There are so many nice plastic containers out there used for packaging just about everything known to man it is hard for me to justify buying commercially made containers to do the same thing. I do occasionally but it is rare. I do buy cartridge boxes for loaded ammo.

I have been using TV dinner trays in my Machine Shop to carry parts and such for 35 years. No reason to stop now.

Randy

Sean357
12-24-2015, 11:43 AM
I've tried other stuff and still like the factory boxes with plastic trays. I don't buy factory ammo anymore so running out of boxes.
Going to try these http://www.topbrass-inc.com/m-reloading-supplies/product_details.php?item_id=354
Looks like a pretty good price and is exactly what I want.

sparky45
12-24-2015, 11:56 AM
The "free sliced meat" and Swiffer containers + Folgers Coffee cans dominate in my shop.

I use these. They are Free with Lunch Meats. I like the Hillshire Farms stuff. These things are good quality, and stack very well. I use them for Boolits, Bullets, and small brass..

For Larger Brass like rifle cartridges I use "Swiffer" containers. They come in two sizes one is Shoe Box size and the other is Half Shoe Box size. The big ones will hold 200 rounds of .30-06 size cases and the half size one will hold 100.

There are so many nice plastic containers out there used for packaging just about everything known to man it is hard for me to justify buying commercially made containers to do the same thing. I do occasionally but it is rare. I do buy cartridge boxes for loaded ammo.

I have been using TV dinner trays in my Machine Shop to carry parts and such for 35 years. No reason to stop now.

Randy

Bonz
12-24-2015, 12:15 PM
What type of bullet boxes do yall like? I've used MTM boxes a fair amount. And, if I recall correctly, midway boxes were pretty decent.

I buy all of mine (and have for years now) from a seller on eBay -

x-plorcustomplastics

dudel
12-24-2015, 04:02 PM
I have a variety of 50 and 100 round boxes. MTM, Frankford Arsenal, Dillon and Berry's. All have worked just fine (some are approaching 30 years old). I prefer the ones that have a real hinge that stays open. The only ones that ever failed were some cheap stuff yellow ones from Practical Reloader (are they even still around?).

The boxes go into ammo cans for storage, and I with a few boxes out in the cabinet for when I go to the range. I tend to load in batches. When I do, the new stuff goes into the ammo cans, and the oldest in the ammo can goes to the cabinet for use next.

David2011
12-26-2015, 03:18 PM
For pistol rounds I like to put them in heavy duty zip lock bags and then store them in G.I. ammo boxes. I had a source for a long time of heavy, roughly 6 mil bags that had a tiny hole on each side to let air out. They're about 6"x9" and used to package manuals and paperwork for electronics. They're overkill for the papers but will hold 200 .40 S&W without worrying about them breaking. If the bags are not (over)filled to capacity they will conform to the shape of the ammo box for pretty efficient use of the space.

David

jeff423
12-26-2015, 09:15 PM
I Iike the heavy duty plastic bags as well, but I've also had good luck with baseball card boxes. The 200&300 card sizes.

rondog
12-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Never understood the lack of love for these boxes from Midway, I've had great luck with them. To me they're perfect for storing handloads in. Got hundreds of them in all sizes, most of the filled ones are stored in USGI ammo cans. Seriously considering building some wooden crates to pack the excess in for long term storage. The crates would also serve as nice wintertime traction weight in the back floorboard of my 2wd pickup.

I use the Avery removable labels, I've made up templates for all of my calibers and common loads, plus some with blank fields to write in different load data. They'll peel right off, or I can just make more ammo with the same recipe.

These are just some samples I could get to, the rest are packed away in storage.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/ammo%20and%20reloading/DSC_0002_1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/ammo%20and%20reloading/DSC_0004_1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/ammo%20and%20reloading/DSC_0002%202_1.jpg

Bazoo
12-26-2015, 10:46 PM
I like the labels. I dont know how to work a printer, nor do I have a printer, to print them out. But I like the idea none the less.