PDA

View Full Version : Forster Co-Ax

jgh4445
12-14-2015, 10:25 PM
Midway finally has them available. I ordered one today. $299. Wanted one for a long time. Gonna now find a home for my Rock Chucker. Then, I'm gonna get a Dillon Square Deal for 45 ACP and 45 Colt and be in business!

Fire_Medic
12-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Congrats after waiting forever myself a while back I ended up ordering a Big Boss II instead..........

jgh4445
12-14-2015, 10:54 PM
Thats a super press also.

ozarkhillbilly49
12-15-2015, 02:30 AM
love my coax. it delivers truly superb rifle ammo for me. always concentric and consistent. and if you do any long range work that is what is needed. enjoy that press jgh4445. have fun and stay safe. merry Christmas!!

country gent
12-15-2015, 10:40 AM
Id like to see the pile of 223 243 and 308s my old coax has loaded. Its mid 80s vintage and I used it most of the years I shot NRA High power rifle to load all my match and practice ammo every year. One thing I changed was a hose on the spent primer drop tube that ran down into a gallon jug ( empty 8 lb powder cans worked great also. Ive thrown alot of them full of spent primers out. Its loaded a lot of ammo was rebuilt once new links and pins. The shell holder base now has a .060 hardened wer plate installed so unlike mine you dont have to machine it down for it when wear is there. A little tender loving care (lube, clean enviroment, easy handling) and this press will out live the family name. LOL

oldcanadice
12-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Co-Ax is a great tool. even used mine for bush-league bench-rest way back when I couldn't afford Wilson stuff. I kept my rockchucker, tho, and used it surprisingly much for things like swaging primer pockets on mil cases and any dirty or really heavy work.

Calamity Jake
12-15-2015, 11:53 AM
Love my co-ax, kept my Rockchucker, glad I did as I still use it a lot.

Larry Gibson
12-15-2015, 12:10 PM
Midway finally has them available. I ordered one today. $299. Wanted one for a long time. Gonna now find a home for my Rock Chucker. Then, I'm gonna get a Dillon Square Deal for 45 ACP and 45 Colt and be in business!

Suggest you keep the Rock Chucker. You will probably still use it quite a bit. When I got my COAX I kept my similar Pacific press and am glad I did. Some reloading chores are a lot easier on the regular press. I also concur on the Dillon's as shown in the photo of my reloading bench.

Larry Gibson155634

Artful
12-15-2015, 12:55 PM
Yep, love my Co-Ax and Dillons but I'm with the guys it's good idea to keep the RCBS.

osteodoc08
12-15-2015, 01:40 PM
I've read about the Co-Ax presses. Can you guys tell me why it is a better press, as compared, to say, my workhorse RCBS RC

quietmike
12-15-2015, 06:35 PM
I've read about the Co-Ax presses. Can you guys tell me why it is a better press, as compared, to say, my workhorse RCBS RC

Nothing wrong with the RC, but on average the CO-AX will make more concentric rounds.

The co-ax allows the case and die to "float" with the slotted die holder and shell holder jaws. The die holder allows dies to snap in and out in about a second. The shell holder jaws are also faster to load/unload than a traditional shellholder.

It also provides more leverage than most presses making full length sizing a breeze even with one hand.

Spent primers are positively captured. And the priming system is extremely consistent without relying on "feel".

This video gives a great description of the pros, and a couple of cons (shell holder jaw springs being one).

https://youtu.be/NEzVZe7f6G0

Artful
12-15-2015, 07:40 PM
You forgot the quick change of Dies in the Co-Ax - makes other systems seem slow and the whole thread in and out archaic

Sagebrush7
12-16-2015, 11:49 AM
I make a offset handle for the Co-Ax press left or right. You can see a picture on Flee-Bay. You guys $20 + $ 5.97 shipping. I will try to get picture in my Vendors spot.

oldcanadice
12-16-2015, 02:54 PM
Perhaps I should have added like Larry: For any kind of quantity, a Dillon is sure my call. In that line, I do believe you'd be better off with a 550 in the long run. It uses standard dies and there may be a rifle in your future. You also don't have to always think in production mode with it -- pull the pin on the third station so you can take the case off, put in a weighed charge, and put the case back on, and the thing becomes one of the slickest ways to load experimental and little-batch ammo that you may ever use.

Bent Ramrod
12-16-2015, 04:13 PM
It depends on the jobs you contemplate doing with your press. The Co-Ax does a good quick job on regular reloading chores because of the easy die changeout. The coaxial feature may make it easier to make more concentric ammunition, which may shoot more accurately. (I haven't noticed any quantum leaps in accuracy as a result of loading the same stuff with a Co-Ax; apparently there are ways of getting concentricity and accuracy from other loading tools as well.)

I have noticed that it isn't wise to expect too much from the Coaxial feature in the shell holder by setting straight or slightly tapered cases on the holder plate without looking. The closing jaws can sometimes grab a cartridge head in an off-center manner and its mouth will get smashed in the die when the lever is pulled.

You can load a fairly diverse variety of cartridges on the Co-Ax without needing a shell holder, unless you want them for the priming feature on top of the press. However, a switch to very small or very large case heads means changing out an expensive set of jaws, with springs, screws and other complicating features to deal with in the holder plate. The Co-Ax is perfect for reloading in a room in the house, as spent primers and debris are positively taken care of, with no mess to get into rugs or scratch polished floors.

On the other hand, I would not want to use a Co-Ax for any sort of case forming that involves shoulder set back or extreme neck reduction on thicker brass. It would be wrecked doing bullet swaging, and I don't see how one could set up a Lee lube sizing arrangement on one. The Co-Ax is more specialized and less versatile in this respect than a Rock Chucker or something similar. But it is a fascinating machine to watch working. Somebody exuded a lot of skull sweat designing the Co-Ax, and the result is certifiably Cool.

Happyguy
12-16-2015, 10:38 PM
I have 3, one for small head cases, one for large head cases and one for 45-70 sized cases. They are great presses.

tim338
12-17-2015, 10:31 AM
I have one I got in a deal a few years back. It has been sitting under the loading bench this whole time. Maybe I should bolt it to the bench and give it a try.

jgh4445
12-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Got my Co-Ax set up this morning. Wow! I put the short handle on it and sized some .280, 45LC, and 45 ACP. Sooooo easy. no strain at all. It takes a lot less strength to size on than my RC. My arthritic shoulder is thankful. I like this press and even the priming function. It does however make a "crunching" sound as the pointed pin that opens the jaws, enters the jaws. I suppose with time that will wear itself down to the point that it is silent as it does its job. I tried smoothing it down with some 400 grit a bit. I'm not going to be able to simply switch dies from my Forster to my RC though. The ring on the dies has to be set really low on the die to work on the Forster. Don't think that is gonna be an issue anyway as I had converted my RC to use Hornady bushings. Dies with those bushings won't work on the Forster. I can see most all of my single stage work is going to be done on the Forster. Its just so effortless.

tim338
12-20-2015, 10:09 PM
I cleaned my co ax up and mounted it on the bench today. All I can say is WOW! Loaded a few 44 mags on it and it is so smooth. I feel like a fool for not using it sooner.

abunaitoo
12-21-2015, 03:19 AM
I got a Bonanza co-ax from the house I helped clean out.
I've always wanted one, but could never afford it.
Needs to be cleaned up, but everything is there.

Tamitch
12-23-2015, 03:02 PM
As I read this thread most if not all of you own a Forster Co Ax press. Most of you use it for rifle reloading and a small portion use it for pistol. This is what concerns me I only reload three pistol calibers; such as: 44 Mag, 45 ACP and 45 AR. In the years past I have owned a RCBS RC, RCBS Partner single stage presses. I have a brand new in the box Forster Co Ax press with the short handle and several other options for the press. Did I over buy? Would I be happier with something else? At this point the only other press that interests me is the Redding T-7 turret press. I am open for suggestions

Artful
12-23-2015, 06:11 PM
It will handle your loading pistol cartridges just fine - but if your like me you hanker for higher output you need a semi or progressive press like a Dillon 550, Hornady Lock N Load, RCBS Pro2000 Auto-Index etc. -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqChUEgrVDc

Big thing is on a Dillon/Progressive one pull of handle = one Cartridge ready to shoot - on most single stage or turrets 3 to 4 pulls of the handle = one Cartridge ready to shoot.

quietmike
12-23-2015, 09:14 PM
As I read this thread most if not all of you own a Forster Co Ax press. Most of you use it for rifle reloading and a small portion use it for pistol. This is what concerns me I only reload three pistol calibers; such as: 44 Mag, 45 ACP and 45 AR. In the years past I have owned a RCBS RC, RCBS Partner single stage presses. I have a brand new in the box Forster Co Ax press with the short handle and several other options for the press. Did I over buy? Would I be happier with something else? At this point the only other press that interests me is the Redding T-7 turret press. I am open for suggestions

I load 40, 38/357, and 45 on mine without issue.

It certainly isn't as fast as a progressive, but will hold its own with any single stage.

labradigger1
12-23-2015, 10:39 PM

I use a coax for bench rest loads and odd ball low count loads such as 43 Spanish and 25-20 SS. The die changes literally take a half a second, the primer catcher can't be beat. I don't care for the primer seating arrangement but it is accurate and repeatable. Make certain you get the jaws you need for the calibers you load. I like mine and use it all the time, all this from someone that uses 2-550's, one tmag, one 2A, one ch-111. The 2 dillons are for bulk loading, tmag for several calibers, the 2A for its awe and strength and the 111 because, well just because. Don't be afraid of the coax, they, like all presses have things they do well and not so well.
Does Well, super concentric, great mechanical leverage, simple do all shell holders, simple quick die swaps.
Doesn't do well, LOOOONG swing of handle, can't use collet pullers.
The turret presses such as the t7 are a great compromise between single and progressive. With extra turrets they are handy.
Enjoy the ride

tinsnips
12-23-2015, 10:54 PM
I have all kinds of presses Dillion,LNL,turret but my favorite press is my Coax it is just fun to use for all kinds off reloading. It takes very little effort to use. I am sure you will be very pleased with your purchase.