PDA

View Full Version : Browning High Power--need advise

Alstep
12-14-2015, 04:35 PM
Need a little advise and opinion here. I'm looking to buy my first high power pistol. Found one that's in pristine condition, not a blemish on it. Serial # starts with 76C, so I believe it's made in 1976. Has nice walnut grips and adjustable rear sight. Gentleman is asking $800 for it. Would that be a fair price? Can someone clue me in a little more about this pistol.
Thanks.

buckwheatpaul
12-14-2015, 04:38 PM
i love my Hi-Power. It is a Belgium from1974....price sounds about right....check with gunbroker.com

Outpost75
12-14-2015, 04:40 PM
In 1976 they changed the serial number sequence, but yours sounds like it could have been assembled at the time of the transition http://www.browning.com/customerservice/dategun/detail.asp?id=35

If the pistol is factory original, unmodified, and in VG+ to Exc. condition the price is about right.

vzerone
12-14-2015, 06:02 PM
Great pistol and you'll love it if you get it. It's amazing how good a pistol it is considering it came about before all the wonder-nines we have today. For example the double column high capacity magazine and bullet feed ramp integral with the barrel. It was ahead of times.

Petrol & Powder
12-14-2015, 06:08 PM
If it is an unmolested early 70's Browning in very good condition that's actually a little below average asking prices around here.

johnson1942
12-14-2015, 06:36 PM
the last time i checked they go for a lot more than that. had one many years ago and wish i still had it. it was a shooter.

johnson1942
12-14-2015, 06:38 PM
anybody have a ruger vaquero bisley? thinking about getting one after christmas. really like the way it feels in the hand. what would be better, the 45 long colt or 357 mag. i now load for both.

johnson1942
12-14-2015, 06:39 PM
oops wrong place, oh well

wv109323
12-14-2015, 06:55 PM
I think new price is around $1K for that pistol. Price sounds right. I saw a 90% one with Pachmayr's for asking price of $795

Fire_Medic
12-14-2015, 07:07 PM
If it is an unmolested early 70's Browning in very good condition that's actually a little below average asking prices around here.

This!

I would never let mine go, let alone for $800 lol......

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k366/ffgabe/Toys/BHP.jpg

Petrol & Powder
12-14-2015, 07:13 PM
There's a lot of history wrapped up in a P-35

kens
12-14-2015, 07:14 PM
I think the hi-power grip is the best out there, it is a natural shooter, all the polymer guns grip feels like a square box by comparison.

FergusonTO35
12-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Love those HP's, I will own one someday. I have a special savings envelope for a new Mk. III wich I drop a couple of bucks in every time I think about it. Guess I better get up and make a deposit!

Alstep
12-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Gave the man a call, I'm going for it. It'll be a few weeks before I can get it, New York State paperwork, even have to get the local judge to approve it. Fortunately, in our upstate county, our local judges and sheriff are really pro-gun. In fact, last week our sheriff made a public announcement to licenced CCW holders to carry if they felt competent to do so. Local liberals gave him a lot of flack for that, but he's standing by his word.
Now in the meantime, can you good folks recommend a good bullet mold and your favorite loads for this gun? Thanks to all for responding.

kens
12-15-2015, 01:05 AM
mine eats the Lee 9mm 90309 boolits just fine. I tried low power target loads and they don't work so well, it is called a Hi Power for a reason, it works better with standard power loads.
I would recommend the Lee 6 cavity mold with Green Dot or Unique.

Petrol & Powder
12-15-2015, 09:01 AM
mine eats the Lee 9mm 90309 boolits just fine. I tried low power target loads and they don't work so well, it is called a Hi Power for a reason, it works better with standard power loads.
I would recommend the Lee 6 cavity mold with Green Dot or Unique.

It's called a Hi-Power ["Grande Puissance" in French] because it incorporated the first double stack pistol magazine.
But yes, I'd stay in the standard pressure range with that fine gun. Something in the 115-125 grain range for bullet weight and around 1000-1150 fps. I like the 120gr truncated cone profile for 9mm pistols. It feeds well in most guns, isn't too heavy and they shoot well.
Don't beat that gun up with heavy loads!

kens
12-15-2015, 10:58 AM
I load Green Dot & Unique in 9mm and 45acp.
There is a Lee disc measure that sits on top of the case flaring die, it allows me to interchange GreenDot & Unique with 9mm and .45acp all in the same powder measure. no changes.
IIRC it is 5.2gr green dot and 5.7 unique. (.68 disc in the auto-disc)?
it is in the old allient handbooks.

Beerd
12-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Now in the meantime, can you good folks recommend a good bullet mold and your favorite loads for this gun? Thanks to all for responding.

may still be one left
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?277759-MiHec-(Mp-molds)-9mm-125-gn-Hollow-point-mold

bob208
12-15-2015, 01:23 PM
I carry a old Belgian military from 1962. for carry I use Remington 123 gr. golden sabers. loaded warm. for just shooting I use the rcbs 124 gr tc. I put a wolf heavy recoil spring in mine.

Tackleberry41
12-15-2015, 02:31 PM
I have had the same HP since I bought it new in 1989, my first pistol. A copy, but has never failed me.

The only reason I would consider getting rid of it, is to get one of the new FNX pistols, which is in many ways same gun, just modern polymer, with more lefty friendly controls.

Petrol & Powder
12-15-2015, 08:30 PM
I've owned several Hi-Powers over the years, including a beautiful early post war model that went away in the great D-vorce. :sad:

Although John Browning's influence over the design is probably less than most Browning fans will acknowledge, it was a landmark design in the history of firearms. The Hi-Power was used by both the Allies and the Axis powers during WWII. During the war it was produced in occupied Belgium by the NAZI's and in Canada by the Allies. After the war it went on to become the standard pistol in many NATO counties. There are Indonesian manufactured Hi-Powers on the market and several other copies made throughout the world, including FEG copies from Hungary. They have been seen in the hands of the British SAS, the IRA, countless police and military members and Saddam Hussein.
Few pistols have been as widely adopted throughout the world.

tim338
01-01-2016, 10:11 AM
I have the two tone practical in 9mm. It likes the 147 grain cast the best. I also had a .40 s&w High Power that never shot that well. I sold it years ago.

Char-Gar
01-01-2016, 12:39 PM
I first shot the Hi-Power in 1965 and it was love at first shot. The pistol fit my hand better than any other and proved to be deadly accurate. Over the years, I have own four of them, but was never able to hold on to any of them, much to my regret.

In 2005, I was determined to buy another and found a gun dealer with one in stock and in serious need of cash to make payroll. I bought it (NIB) for $625.00 which was a very good price even then. It has proved to meet all my expectations and will not be sold or traded.

The holster is a rare bird, an A.W. Brill carved, left handed holster for the Hi-Power. Brill holsters were made in Austin and much favored by Texas lawmen. They are very collectible today.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-01-2016, 02:51 PM
Two HP have passed through my hands. The first was made in Canada by Engels. The discount stores where selling them here in S. Cal. for $99. I have small hands so the grip was just too big and uncomfortable for me. The other thing I didn't like about it was the trigger pull. If you look at the linkage in the trigger assembly you can see why. The sear release has to go from the trigger up, over and down the back of the magazine. I don't remember how much I sold the pistol for. The second was a commercial model from the sixties. It went for a fast $200. The sixties was a different time. If you didn't live then, you will never understand it. Money was worth a lot more then. Now please lets not have someone chime in and say, well you didn't make as much either. It didn't take two weeks pay to by a Colt 1911 in the sixties but it does now. To me the best semi auto pistol ever designed was the S&W model 39. It fit my hand perfectly and it held eight rounds. I hate to admit it but two of them have also passé through my little mitts. I offer no excuses for that but stupidity seems to fit.

Windwalker 45acp
01-03-2016, 03:03 PM
It's interesting that you mention the M39, as it does share a bit of heritage with the HP. And I would agree with you, the M39 and the HP are probably the best two 9mm semi-auto's ever made. I've never been blessed to own an HP, but I would never sell my M39!

OS OK
01-03-2016, 03:04 PM
I have had the same HP since I bought it new in 1989, my first pistol. A copy, but has never failed me.

The only reason I would consider getting rid of it, is to get one of the new FNX pistols, which is in many ways same gun, just modern polymer, with more lefty friendly controls.

I'm a lefty too but I'd never let mine go for any 9 out there…bar none. It feels like it grew in my hand.

Para82
01-03-2016, 06:00 PM
Bought mine new in 1982 in Berlin Germany. Mine is not going anywhere. Fits like a glove and shoots great. Has the adjustable sights. Really need to shoot it more. Very accurate.

LIMPINGJ
01-03-2016, 09:47 PM
Char-Gar I have never seen a Brill with anything but some kind of basket stamp pattern. Thanks for showing your carved one.

Char-Gar
01-03-2016, 11:58 PM
Char-Gar I have never seen a Brill with anything but some kind of basket stamp pattern. Thanks for showing your carved one.

This one wandered into the Simply Rugged shop in Prescott AZ. Rob Leahey the owner bought it for $30.00. Knowing my fondness for the Hi-Power and being left handed Rob offered it to me for what he payed. Needless to say I was and am delighted.