PDA

View Full Version : Case activated 650 priming system

jmorris
12-14-2015, 10:22 AM
So I had a dream about a solution to a problem I don't have but read about often.

People always complain about the primer shoot and how the 650 delivers a primer no matter if there is a case or not.

So in envisioned a stamped part the would go between the station 2 locator tab bushing and hold down bolt. Shaped so as a case moved from station 1 to station 2, it would push the primer indexing arm with a tab bent down on the end. No case, no indexing. You would also need to remove the ramp from the frame as well.

Unlike a lot of my "asleep" ideas this one could actually work but likely with a replacement bushing/screw and a little bit different shape.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/650/IMG_20151214_080124_690-1_zpslgvyvito.jpg

The idea was more than likely spawned by my recent fiddling with a Lee Loadmaster.

bgw45
12-14-2015, 07:03 PM
I can only "dream" of being as you. It is really fun seeing what you think up.

jmorris
12-14-2015, 07:10 PM
I thought it was weird thinking about something I really have no interest in while I was asleep.

I have used a ziptie looped over the failsafe rod bracket for more than 10 years that stops the flow when I need it.

Would be nice to come up with something useful...

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
12-14-2015, 08:07 PM
Jmorris,

Looks like it would work and could be tested using a milled part off a drawing, then taking the milled part to someone like Inline Fabrications for adaptation to stamped part and subsequent manufacture. Historically, a lot of firearms during WWII from the United States, Germany and Russian started out as milled parts, then were adapted to stamped parts to reduce costs, speed manufacture.

In the case of the part you have there, a milled part would prove the concept nicely and a stamped version would then be very easy to spring off of the milled part.