PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with Rightnour Accusporter Flintlock?

Themoose
12-14-2015, 12:49 AM
I made a deal on a new 50 cal flinter a couple of days ago. I searched the forum and found nothing on the rifle so here I go asking for your advice once again. Anyone have or used one? Any opinions?

The rifle is an RMC Accusporter, built here in Pennsylvania. link
...http://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetail/rmc_accusporter_flintlock_rifle/14205/11755

It has 28" Green Mtn 1:28 barrel and L & R lock.... only got to shoot it a few times with the bullets I had on hand(450 gr Great Plains) paper patched to .495.... it definitely is a step up in ignition over the TC Hawken that I traded in... will test tomorrow with a new batch of bullets patched and sized to .495 and to .500...I have an order in for the Lee .501 440 bullet that idahoron uses. I will also be trying both lubed and unlubed felt wads over the powder... powder for now will be Goex 2f cartridge until I can find some Old Eynsford to try... using .495 I can do multiple shots without cleaning, but fouling is pretty heavy... guess it is the deeper rifling than the TC... starting load is 80 gr. Anybody think of anything else that i can try for a good test of the rifle's potential?

As always, thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Kindest regards,

themoose

Tatume
12-14-2015, 08:25 AM
Hi Moose,

That is indeed an interesting gun, with many modern features while retaining much of the flavor of flintlock rifles. How strictly do the Game Commission Officers enforce the law on this season?

Flintlock Muzzleloader Season: Only single-barrel long-guns .44 caliber or larger, or hanguns .50 caliber or larger with a flintlock ignition system. The firearm must be an original or reproduction of a gun used prior to 1800, with iron, open "V" or notched sights (fiber-optic inserts are permitted). A flintlock ignition system consists of a hammer containing a naturally-occurring stone which is spring-propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen, which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a gunpowder. Flintlock muzzleloader hunters may use "any single projectile," including sabots, and mini and maxi balls.

Take care, Tom

Themoose
12-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Tom,

No problem with the game commission... other than the stock being laminate it is not much different that the many other "Hawken" style flintlocks in use in PA today... In fact, the lock does not have the coil springs like the TC's do. I can't be sure, but the fact that it is made locally here in PA, I would hope that the makers would make sure it fit the game commission's requirements if they wanted to sell any to hunters. Thanks for reading and responding.

Kindest regards,

themoose

Themoose
12-14-2015, 08:43 PM
Range Update.

Got a chance to play today... shot both paperpatched .495 and .500's....kept track of each shot and quickly found that the .495's keyholed about a third of the time at 50 yds...not so with the .500's... best group of the day was 4 shots in 1 3/4" with iron sights @ 50 yds...(450 gr MP great plains bullet, paper patched with two wraps 9# onionskin paper and sized to ,500. used 80 gr Goex cartridge grade powder over cut durofelt wad.) not a tack driver yet, but showing potential... this is a hunting rifle I would be happy to shoot groups that size with a flintlock in the woods...the lubed wads and/or the larger diameter reduced fouling substantially... should have new mold in by Friday, so hopefully, I can try different bullet out next week... got a better handle on priming and positioning of flint today... not perfect by any means, but a whole lot better that I experienced with the TC...

johnson1942
12-14-2015, 11:56 PM
i knew some one some day would paperpatch a flintlock. now ive lived to see it.

Themoose
12-15-2015, 09:05 AM
Roger, The barrel is a Grn. Mtn. 1:28 twists. It begs for a PP bullet after you and Ron enlightened me

johnson1942
12-15-2015, 11:43 AM
500 to 550 grain pp bullet, 80 grains of powder. got your self a gun that shoots as good as a 50/90 sharps. put a good slip on recoil pad on it and maybe a dead mule in the butt stock and it shouldnt kick that much. i also find muzzle loaders dont kick as bad as cartridge rifles with the very same load minus the shell case. dont know why but it is. keep us in the loup.

Good Cheer
12-20-2015, 07:50 PM
Watching with interest.
My .52 x 28" twist TC flinter Renegade hasn't even had powder in it yet.

Themoose
12-20-2015, 08:51 PM
Got the Lee .501 44 mold in mail Fri... cast some up yesterday... will try to get to the range tomorrow...got a week before Flintlock season opens... like the rifle so far...

Themoose
12-21-2015, 06:43 PM
I hate to admit it, but I'm not able to do any serious accuracy testing due to my lack of experience with a flintlock... about the time I think I have it...it's back to the drawing board... I do know the gun(with this dummy behind it) will shoot inside of 2" at 50 yards from a rest.... offhand is more like paper plate size groups... I still am struggling with the correct priming technique...both bullets seem to group within the above mentioned 2" off the rest... I'm using 80 grains FFG with a slightly lubed felt wad under the paper patched bullets... I guess I need a whole lot more trigger time... I have been trying to lose weight lately... if I only ate what I could shoot offhand with this flintlock...I would either be on starvation's doorstep or would spend more time at the range than at work....the latter is not a bad idea... I guess I need to find someone at the club who can help me work out the kinks. Sorry I couldn't give you a better assessment of the accuracy potential... So far I like everything about the rifle with the exception of the stock fit... I am pushing 6'4" and I'm thinking they made them for folks not piled so high... Merry Christmas to all of you...hope you a great holiday season and a better new year.

TheMoose

Kylongrifle
12-24-2015, 10:37 PM
I almost bought one of these once, or rather was going to order one but they were out of stock..I see that they are making them again..I just wish you had a choice of barrel twists. They are made with high quality locks and barrels.

waarp8nt
12-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Offering no useful advice, but the front stuffer does look nice and I like the fact it is USA made.

Also, I'm liking the Laminate and L&R flintlock. I would like to see a slower rate of twist for round ball use, a double set trigger and two barrel wedge pins. Maybe if they sell well, these will be future options.