PDA

View Full Version : Grinding/resizing floating handrail.

stanford
12-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Gentlemen,

I really need your expertise here. I have a floating handrail for my rifle, the low profile adjustable gas block that I have does not fit in the rail. What can I do to grind the rail from top to bottom to provide more room for the block to fit? What equipment would I need? Can I get it in harborfreight?

Thanks

country gent
12-13-2015, 08:41 PM
Im assuming you wanting to shorten the handgaurd tube over the barrel. These are normally annodized aluminum. The coating is hard but once thru it the aluminum is soft. You can actually do this by hand with files and sandpaper to finish. A lathe is easier to face the front edge back what you need. Pics didnt open for me so Im kind of guessing here. Normally these tubes are right on the money for what they are for so first I really recomend you check to insure everything is correct in the mounting and is right before modifying the tube. Barrel /mount nut tight and seated, tube in the right position, gas block is lined up and setting correctly Ect Ect Ect. The biggest issue is not the modifying but finding where its off and fixing the right part. Some could also be faced from the back face of the gas block to gain room.

stanford
12-13-2015, 10:05 PM
Not sure why the pics didn't open up, I copied them from my computer and I can see it fine. Oh well not a problem. The actual problem is the top and bottom of the adjustable gas block is a little wider than the opening in the hand rail.

Country gent you are awesome. Thank you very much for pointing me in the correct direction with your response. I am going to sand down the gas block on the corners to make it fit in the tube. Its amazing when you are thinking of one way to attack a problem someone comes by and shows you a completely different way that is much better than yours.

Thanks again..

Im assuming you wanting to shorten the handgaurd tube over the barrel. These are normally annodized aluminum. The coating is hard but once thru it the aluminum is soft. You can actually do this by hand with files and sandpaper to finish. A lathe is easier to face the front edge back what you need. Pics didnt open for me so Im kind of guessing here. Normally these tubes are right on the money for what they are for so first I really recomend you check to insure everything is correct in the mounting and is right before modifying the tube. Barrel /mount nut tight and seated, tube in the right position, gas block is lined up and setting correctly Ect Ect Ect. The biggest issue is not the modifying but finding where its off and fixing the right part. Some could also be faced from the back face of the gas block to gain room.