PDA

View Full Version : star reloader parts

zorro
04-16-2008, 08:59 PM
howdy , I read a posting somewhere that someone was making parts for old Star reloader , is this true ?
if so who?
many thanks zorro

Dale53
04-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Magma Engineering now builds Star luber/sizers:

http://www.magmaengr.com/products.php

Dale53

phil218b
04-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Take a look at this site www.starreloaders.com and see if it helps

Sig shooter
04-17-2008, 08:08 AM
I cant help notice all the design similarities to newer progressive machines. These boys were running progressive gear in the 30s . Even though they write they did not invent the progressive machine , what shines is the quality and workmanship .

Dale53
04-17-2008, 09:48 AM
I used a Star loader for many years. It's precision quality is undisputed. However, because of the extremely close tolerances, they could be troublesome to operate. If you had a primer stick, it took twenty minutes to disassemble and clear the machine. I had considerable problems with primers. Finally, a commercial loader friend suggested I use CCI OEM primers (only available to commercial loaders). After I started using the OEM primers the problems went away.

Good press, but parts were expensive and they were only made for limited calibers. Every thread on it was so special that most lathes would not turn them so you couldn't make special parts yourself, etc.

I used mine with good effect (it was the .38 Special only press) while shooting PPC back in the Seventies but I don't miss it. I MUCH prefer my far more versatile Dillon 550B's.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be without my Star Luber/Sizer (I get my parts from Magma Engineering).

FWIW
Dale53

rbwillnj
04-17-2008, 05:49 PM
I have three Star Reloaders and setups to load 14 different calibers. They are the only machines I ever use (Pistol) Parts can be a little hard to come by, but not impossible, and unless you really abuse a machine, you will never need a part. I have loaded thousands upon thousands upon thousands of rounds and only ever broke one part, and that was my fault.

There are several people out there who are now making various new parts for Stars, including Shell Plates and Dies.

I recondition and sell Star Reloaders, but I never try to convince anyone to buy a Star. If you appreciate the quality and workmanship, and want a machine that will last for millions of rounds, you will be drawn to one. But if you just want a really great reloader, buy a Dillon.

The Star Reloaders Forum is a good place to get information on these teriffic machines.
http://www.starreloaders.com/forum/

zorro
04-18-2008, 12:30 AM
howdy , boys , many thanks for the links , know I'l try and make a deal for the press., stay wam, zorro

Nick10Ring
04-30-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm in the process of making a list of some old Star reloader parts I have. If you are interested I'll let you know before I post it.

Nick10Ring@aol.com