PDA

View Full Version : Design ideas for Lee Pistol Rest Grip Adapters?

Merick
12-13-2015, 02:59 PM
I obtained a lee pistol rest without any grip adapters, which is fine because they either sucked for 1911, or are not available for the other guns I intend to try.

I don't think I need to make something with a death grip on a gun. Unlike a ransom rest that eats all the recoil, the lee rest has sort of an aluminum arm that recoils away from a base, and I'm probably only testing milder ammo. I only need to hold the arm on solidly to the gun, and ideally still have access to the magazine well.

I have some ideas of my own, but at this stage I would appreciate any others too. What comes to mind?

leftiye
12-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Can't you use a mag insert or a mag soldered to a fitting for the Lee rest on an auto?

Merick
12-14-2015, 12:48 PM
I could I guess, 1911 mags aren't hard to find but it is a puzzle how to make them attach solidly. For other pistols magazines are a touch harder to find. Not to mention single loading from above has its own set of problems.

What I had in mind was a sort of angle iron box I could camp shut around the grip, with gun specific inserts made of silicone molding putty. I could leave the bottom accessible, and my metal work wouldn't have to be as precise.