PDA

View Full Version : redding profile crimp die

zorro
04-16-2008, 08:51 PM
howdy , has anyone tried the Redding profile crimp die on the .38 special ?/
I plan you using it with full wad cutters in my Colt National Match.
many thanks zorro

Nueces
04-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi, zorro. I've used the PC dies in 32, 38, 44 and 45. For me, they don't always provide a deep-enough crimp. Sometimes, I've needed to finish off the crimp by using an RCBS roll-crimp die. However, the Dillon 'accu-crimp' dies work very well:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/24483/catid/4/Dillon_Crimp_Dies

I know it's an expensive pain in the butt to have to scavenge individual dies from all over in order to make a functional set, but, what the hey, it IS nice when you get there.

Mark

zorro
04-16-2008, 09:18 PM
howdy mark , what size groups are you getting at what range ??
many thanks zorro

Nueces
04-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Well, I confess, your question confused me for a moment, until I reread your original post and noted that you're loading for an auto. I'm a revolver puke. Carry on, Sir, I think the Redding die will serve you well. I often need a somewhat more robust crimp for my wheelguns.

Mark

Groups? I don't got no groups. I don't got to show you no stinkin' groups! :mrgreen:

zorro
04-18-2008, 12:10 AM
howdy Nueces, yes i understand that a wheelgun requires a firmer crimp so the bullets donnot jump from the recoil, i will order the redding and Ramsom rest test , many thanks zorro

miestro_jerry
04-18-2008, 12:22 AM
I like the Dillon crimp dies, but have many others from Lee to Redding, it depends on the bullet and of course what round I am loading for which pistol or rifle.

I shoot an L Frame that likes a good strong roll crimp, which my carry pistol doesn't have to be as tight, but I make them all the same.

My 38 Special Auto is a S&W Model 52, need to get it out and shoot it while the weather is nice. For it I use full wad cutters and a duplicate of the factory roll crimp. I think the last batch I loaded was using an RCBS crimp die.

Hope this helps everyone, normaly auto are taper crimps, wheel guns are roll crimps, but some dang fool had to make a precision shooting semi auto in a wheel gun caliber.

Jerry

IronAir
04-18-2008, 09:56 AM
I called Redding a while back with a question and a complaint that I was having when using their regular seater die for crimping, and they suggested I get the Profile Crimp die. I ordered one and have been using it for 45LC for about 6 months. I would say that it works OK, but like Nueces said, the crimp is not all that deep.

Another possible problem that I see with using this die is that if you are concerned with leading and accuracy like most of us are, and you have very carefully slugged your bore and picked just the right sizer die for your particular gun, the profile crimp die basically ruins all your hard work by squeezing the boolit down to whatever the inside dimension of the die is. If you are using brass that is on the thick side, I am pretty sure the boolit is not coming out of the case the same size as it was when you put it in.

I am still searching for the perfect crimp, and the die that will produce it. If anyone is making a nice deep consistent roll crimp without squeezing the boolit down or shaving brass off the case mouth, I would like to hear about how you're doing it.

Nueces
04-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Unfortunately, as I alluded to earlier, crimpers are 'found', not bought. You're right about some brass/diameter combos needing differing crimp specs. I never toss an old crimp die, but test with what I have whenever a change in components seems to ask for it. Larger boolits give me the same pains you talk about.

What we need is a redesigned Lee-type collet crimper, that is adjustable for case length. A workable, but not-too-elegant, idea would be to have the collet fingers come down from the top of the die, to be closed about the case neck by a collar around the case that has an internal cone to act on the collet fingers. The collars would be case-length specific and would have to be removed and replaced with each case in the shell holder. Minor adjustment to be made using shims between the collar and shell holder. Not too convenient, and impossible with progressives.

Lee's design, with the collet riding up with the case is much easier, but they say they can't build such dies for pistol-length cases, due to the shorter fingers being stressed by the constant bending. The 32-20 die works well, though, so maybe there's hope for magnum-length cases.

The answer may be a series of Dillon-style crimp inserts of various sizes. Lathe hands could make these easily. They would have to be hardened., or machined from hard steel using carbide tooling, as Buckshot does for sizer dies. What say you machinists?

Mark

cuzinbruce
04-18-2008, 10:44 PM
Hi Zorro,
I have used the Redding profile crimp die in 38 Spl loading for my S&W Model 52. A target autoloader, using rimmed 38 Spl, same idea as your National Match. It works beautifully. I load flush wadcutters too. Lyman 35863 I think, absolutely flat on both ends. I seat them dead flush with the case mouth. Things to remember are your cases have to be the same length. I trim them to minimum. When you do the crimps, it is also recommended to use a tiny bit of case lube. I use Imperial, just a bit on the fingers, and rub every third case or so. Probably with the minimum length and the nice crimp, I haven't had any feeding problems at all.
In other calibers, I haven't had any problem putting enough crimp in, including 357 and 44 mags. I recommend them if you are willing to keep the cases trimmed to length.
Good Luck,
Bruce

zorro
04-19-2008, 01:03 PM
howdy cuzinbruce , how much of a crimp are you using ?if you use a mile what is the diameter at the top tof the case ??
trying to get a idea to set up my crimping die , many thanks zorro

cuzinbruce
05-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi Zorro,
Sorry about the delay. I haven't been checking the thread and only saw your question today.
For the .38 Spl in the S&W 52, the cases are measuring about .376 where the bullet is seated. Bullets were probably sized .358. The mouth of the case seems to be about .370. Enough of a crimp to feel the rounding with your finger but not real heavy like for a magnum. Hard to measure with the micrometer. They feed perfectly in my S&W. Not that I have had any particular problems with it.
Hope this helps,
Bruce