PDA

View Full Version : Handle removal help

Jeffjmr
12-12-2015, 08:07 PM
I have this Lee 90361 with handles that don't appear to be removable.

Just pins with no opening on the other end to drift out. Any ideas? I want to drill and tap for a set screw. The handles are in the way for me to get a nice perpendicular hole and tap on my drill press.

Thanks,
Jeff

country gent
12-12-2015, 08:23 PM
The 2 cavity Lee moulds handles arnt easily removeable. The are pressed in pins, in a blind hole. To remove them you need to spot and drill holes from the top to allow for a punch to push them out. Not hard to do but an added process. Locate holes with a square and center punch, drill to pins with a standard drill. ( if your locky the pins arnt bottomed out in the hole) then if needed remove last bit with a flat bottomed drill bit. Pins can then be pushed out. Some are in very tight. If you have a drill press vise a couple 1/8" thk parrallels set the mould blocks on these and hold closed with a parrallel clamp.

MaLar
12-12-2015, 09:27 PM
I have an old Lee that I want to cut a new cavity in. The pins in mine are loose just staked in.
I think if yours are the same you could just cut the stake out with a pocket knife, and the pins should drop out.

billyb
12-12-2015, 09:36 PM
I closed the drill press vice on the handle under the mold blocks and lined up where I wanted to drill. Drilled and taped with out taking handles off. Bill

Jeffjmr
12-12-2015, 11:22 PM
I don't see a stake, but drilling out from the other side sounds doable.

I don't have any parallels either though they are on my wish list.

Thanks all for the ideas.

Jeff

edctexas
12-12-2015, 11:24 PM
Two of my lee molds have a funny pin holding the handle. They had a allen wrench socket on the pin end, but the threads are sort of a one time use. I was able to back these pins out. They did not work well on replacement. So out they came again and made a new pin with threads. The lee aluminum is VERY soft and difficult to tap.

Ed C

Jeffjmr
12-13-2015, 11:09 PM
Two of my lee molds have a funny pin holding the handle. They had a allen wrench socket on the pin end, but the threads are sort of a one time use. I was able to back these pins out. They did not work well on replacement. So out they came again and made a new pin with threads. The lee aluminum is VERY soft and difficult to tap.

Ed C

I was able to drill and tap another Lee aluminum for a set screw, but knowing how soft they were I used one size smaller drill bit than called for (a 10-32 set screw called for a number 21 bit but I used a 22), and tapped very slowly, going forward less than a quarter turn then back a half to remove the chips. Turned out good with a resulting nice tight set screw. Hoping to get the same result on this one once I remove the handle pins.

Jeff

MT Gianni
12-13-2015, 11:52 PM
Take a thick bladed knife and scrape out the swedged aluminum. Turn it upside down and the pins fall out. To replace it peen it back with a 4 oz hammer.