PDA

View Full Version : Gun show today, happy with my trade..........

Fire_Medic
12-12-2015, 06:11 PM
So I went to the local show today to see what's what, it was pretty boring, but ran into an older gentleman who loves revolvers working for one of the vendors and we get to talking because he says he's never seen someone my ge eyeballing just revolvers at the show lol. Long story short they only want to give me $250 for my Gen 4 Glock 17 which I laughed at and didn't want to play ball on the blued Wiley Clapp GP 100 they had which is freaking gorgeous in person and just the right size. He says to me go have a look around and come back I will have a trade offer for you.

So I come back and he offer to trade me straight up my Gen 4 G17 with the factory parts/mags/back straps etc, the sights and trigger mod I did for his unfired in the original box 1982 Smith and Wesson 681 in 357 Magnum

:bigsmyl2:

I'm not sure whether to shoot it or put it away lol..........

Whether he got the better end of the deal or not I'm not sure but we just exchanged DL and CCW permit inf and trded person to person. Great guy to talk to and I am grateful for this deal.

Obligatory pic:
http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k366/ffgabe/Toys/1449951383242_zpsfjkntg0i.jpg

Just wanted to share.

My bull barrel model 10-6 will be home soon, as well as a Pre-Taurus Rossi 357 mag, and In January sometime a nice 10MM Smith 1006 that I could not pass a deal on and the owner is letting me pay in installments :)

Dan Cash
12-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Put a Tyler T Grip or a set of Herretts stocks on that thing and start trying to wear it out.

fastdadio
12-12-2015, 06:26 PM
I think ya done good. I'll take stainless over tupperware any day. Better gun for shooting cast also.

Fire_Medic
12-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys my first personally owned 357 magnum revolver I am very happy this thing locks up tight and barely has any cylinder shake.

By by tupperware.

Now to find a good 10MM 1911.......

Hickok
12-12-2015, 06:30 PM
Great deal. Man do I love S&W's!!![smilie=s:

Silver Jack Hammer
12-12-2015, 06:40 PM
You got a great deal! The other guy is probably kicking himself for letting this 681 get away. My advise is shoot it like you own it.

Fire_Medic
12-12-2015, 07:05 PM
You got a great deal! The other guy is probably kicking himself for letting this 681 get away. My advise is shoot it like you own it.

That's the decision I have come to, why sell it to get a Ruger GP (nothing against the Ruger at all) but this will serve me just fine just need better grips :)

Kraschenbirn
12-12-2015, 07:16 PM
With a reasonable amount of TLC you ain't gonna wear it out. I've got a Smith 586 of about the same vintage that that, for years, was my 'go to' for PPC and plate matches. It's had more'n 20K rounds down the barrel - mostly 'warm' .38 Spl - and it still shoots better than I can hold. On the other hand, if you decide you don't like it, drop me a PM 'cause I know somewhere it would find a good home.

Bill

maxreloader
12-12-2015, 07:18 PM
I would take that wheelgun all day long, great score!

Tenbender
12-12-2015, 07:21 PM
Watch out for that Loop Hole. Don't want to step in it and break something ! :oops:

Fire_Medic
12-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Thanks fellas but this one is staying home just need some good grips and to go shoot. Now when I go to the club shoots every now and then I can shoot SSR with the two older gentleman who are the only ones shooting revolvers. And I can stop chasing brass on the floor lol.

Fire_Medic
12-12-2015, 07:27 PM
I have this NOE mold en route to me 360- 180gr RF gas check dual crimp groove, this should work well correct guys?

tigweldit
12-12-2015, 08:50 PM
Wait until you try out that 1006! I hope yours shoots as well as mine. I like mine so much it sleeps next to me on the night stand every night. I sleep very well.

Fire_Medic
12-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Wait until you try out that 1006! I hope yours shoots as well as mine. I like mine so much it sleeps next to me on the night stand every night. I sleep very well.

It is mint too coming from a member of another forum who I've chatted with on and off for years, he cut me a deal because I am buying a couple of pistols from him I really am grateful and cannot complain. And I am dying to see how a big metal frame pistol shoots the 10MM lol.....

I opted for this over the new Sig 10MM for the moment.......

Fishman
12-12-2015, 10:24 PM
I have a 681 which was a police trade in. It was my first revolver as well. It came with a set of pachmayer professionals on it. A huge improvement on the factory stocks in my opinion.

You would really have to look to find a nicer DA revolver.

You got the better of that deal for sure and somehow I think the fellow knew that too.

Tom W.
12-12-2015, 10:25 PM
Did you give the guy a kiss?:kidding::bigsmyl2:

Fire_Medic
12-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Did you give the guy a kiss?:kidding::bigsmyl2:

I almost felt like it lol.......

I asked the guy a couple of times are you sure and he said as long as we are both happy lets do it. So I did :)

Jtarm
12-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Nice[emoji106]

I love me some S&Ws.

Mk42gunner
12-12-2015, 10:52 PM
A 4" L-Frame (or GP-100) is one of the most versatile .357's around. Not too heavy to carry, not too light to stand up to a lot of use.

Now to get you some speedloaders. I like the HKS twist style (what I learned on) but the push style may be slightly quicker for competition.

Robert

Fire_Medic
12-12-2015, 11:00 PM
A 4" L-Frame (or GP-100) is one of the most versatile .357's around. Not too heavy to carry, not too light to stand up to a lot of use.

Now to get you some speedloaders. I like the HKS twist style (what I learned on) but the push style may be slightly quicker for competition.

Robert

Thanks Robert I will look into them. What's your take on moon clips?

c1skout
12-12-2015, 11:03 PM
I always figured if both parties are happy it's a fair trade...... Good job.

StrawHat
12-13-2015, 07:02 AM

I am not Robert but to use moonclips in the 681 will require you to have the breech end of the cylinder machined to accept them. Not a difficult operation but you would probably prefer a gunsmith to do it. The moonclips work great with the cartridge they were designed to handle, the 45 ACP, a very short nose heavy round. With long, skinny rounds, there is enough play they don't always line up quickly with the chambers. I prefer the H&K style of speedloader but like Robert, it is what I learned on and competed with for about 20 years.

Whatever you decide to use, stay with one system and practice until you can do it in your sleep. And keep the same system for all of your revolvers.

The 681 is a good choice. I used a 686 and found it an accurate revolver.

Kevin

StrawHat
12-13-2015, 07:21 AM
I have this NOE mold en route to me 360- 180gr RF gas check dual crimp groove, this should work well correct guys?

The standard weight and the weight your sights will be adjusted to is 158 grains. The 180 will work but is pushing the weight a bit high in my opinion. BUT, I have done no shooting with heavy boolits in the 36 caliber revolver. Others have and they will be able to offer better advice on loads and experience.

Kevin

Petrol & Powder
12-13-2015, 10:21 AM
FireMedic- First = GREAT GUN!!
You did extremely well ! The L-frame Smiths are just about the perfect balance of strong/not too heavy/accurate. You will never wear that gun out.

Second - I'd recommend you stay a little closer to 158 gr bullets. The fixed sights on that gun will be regulated to that weight and I've always found 38/357 revolvers do best around 158 anyway. There's a reason that's the standard weight bullet, don't be afraid to go with what is proven to work.

I had a 681 that was one of the most accurate 38/357 revolvers I ever shot. S&W really hit their pinnacle with that model.

The L-frame Smith's use the same grips as the K-frames so you will have no problems finding a set that will suit you. If you want to go old school a Tyler T-grip adaptor will do the trick. Pachmayr "grippers" work really well for me and don't break the bank. Eagle makes some fine aftermarket wooden grips if you want to go that route.

As for speedloaders, I've used everything under the sun but settled on Safariland many years ago and never looked back after that. HKS are generally a few dollars cheaper but I don't like the way they operate. The Safariland Comp II models are fine for carry and the Comp III models are for competition. (too big for carry most of the time)
As for Moon Clips, they're cool and a little faster but a bent moon clip will tie up the gun and therefore I would avoid them on a self-defense gun. Moon Clips also require the cylinder be machined to accept the clips.

Once again - GREAT GUN !

Fire_Medic
12-13-2015, 10:24 AM
FireMedic- First = GREAT GUN!!
You did extremely well ! The L-frame Smiths are just about the perfect balance of strong/not too heavy/accurate. You will never wear that gun out.

Second - I'd recommend you stay a little closer to 158 gr bullets. The fixed sights on that gun will be regulated to that weight and I've always found 38/357 revolvers do best around 158 anyway. There's a reason that's the standard weight bullet, don't be afraid to go with what is proven to work.

I had a 681 that was one of the most accurate 38/357 revolvers I ever shot. S&W really hit their pinnacle with that model.

The L-frame Smith's use the same grips as the K-frames so you will have no problems finding a set that will suit you. If you want to go old school a Tyler T-grip adaptor will do the trick. Pachmayr "grippers" work really well for me and don't break the bank. Eagle makes some fine aftermarket wooden grips if you want to go that route.

As for speedloaders, I've used everything under the sun but settled on Safariland many years ago and never looked back after that. HKS are generally a few dollars cheaper but I don't like the way they operate. The Safariland Comp II models are fine for carry and the Comp III models are for competition. (too big for carry most of the time)
As for Moon Clips, they're cool and a little faster but a bent moon clip will tie up the gun and therefore I would avoid them on a self-defense gun. Moon Clips also require the cylinder be machined to accept the clips.

Once again - GREAT GUN !

Thanks brother I thought you might like this one. Now to find a steel J frame to match it lol..........

I will see about the safariland speed loaders. Also, thanks for the input on the moon clips, didn't even think of a bent one, no thanks lol.

Petrol & Powder
12-13-2015, 10:27 AM
And by the way, you don't need a gas check on a .357 bullet unless you are really pushing the envelope.
A bullet made with the proper alloy, lubed with a decent lube and sized correctly will not lead even when pushed fairly fast.

When you have some time, Read this, http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

Petrol & Powder
12-13-2015, 10:43 AM
Just a little on speedloaders. The HKS loaders are less expensive than the Safariland and are easier to find. Most gun shops will carry HKS but the Safariland models often must be ordered on-line.
If you grab a HKS loader by the body of the loader you must switch your grip to the knob to release the rounds. Not a big deal but it does place another step in the process. If you hold the loader by the release knob, rotational inertia will eventually cause the loader to release the rounds before you get them in the gun and you will blow the reload.
With the Safariland you just insert the rounds into the cylinder and push to release the rounds. It's all one motion. When the rounds release you just let go and close the cylinder. The loader will fall away as the cylinder closes.
The Safariland loaders are quite durable and I've never had one release rounds when unintended.
Which ever type you go with; pick one, practice and stay with that type.

Fire_Medic
12-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Just a little on speedloaders. The HKS loaders are less expensive than the Safariland and are easier to find. Most gun shops will carry HKS but the Safariland models often must be ordered on-line.
If you grab a HKS loader by the body of the loader you must switch your grip to the knob to release the rounds. Not a big deal but it does place another step in the process. If you hold the loader by the release knob, rotational inertia will eventually cause the loader to release the rounds before you get them in the gun and you will blow the reload.
With the Safariland you just insert the rounds into the cylinder and push to release the rounds. It's all one motion. When the rounds release you just let go and close the cylinder. The loader will fall away as the cylinder closes.
The Safariland loaders are quite durable and I've never had one release rounds when unintended.
Which ever type you go with; pick one, practice and stay with that type.

I ordered 5 of the Safariland from midway they were $9 a piece I can live with that. I also grabbed a 50 round box of black hills 125gr SD ammo too.

Thanks for the input once again :)

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/742807/safariland-comp-2-revolver-speedloader-ruger-gp100-s-and-w-581-681-586-686-38-special-357-magnum

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/444146/black-hills-ammunition-357-magnum-125-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50

S. Galbraith
12-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Sweet wheel gun! I always loved the stainless smiths.

Petrol & Powder
12-13-2015, 11:54 AM
".....Now to find a steel J frame to match it.........."

My vote in that class would be a S&W 640. The old ones were chambered in 38 Special and had 1 7/8" barrels. The newer ones are chambered .357 mag (not fun for me in a snubnose J-frame but to each his own) and have 2 1/8" barrels.
The concealed internal hammer is snag-proof. The stainless steel construction is tough and it would make a great companion to that excellent 681 [smilie=s:

Fire_Medic
12-13-2015, 12:00 PM
".....Now to find a steel J frame to match it.........."

My vote in that class would be a S&W 640. The old ones were chambered in 38 Special and had 1 7/8" barrels. The newer ones are chambered .357 mag (not fun for me in a snubnose J-frame but to each his own) and have 2 1/8" barrels.
The concealed internal hammer is snag-proof. The stainless steel construction is tough and it would make a great companion to that excellent 681 [smilie=s:

Thanks not sure why I was thinking model 65.....? And I agree about the 38 vs 357 mag in the little j frames 100%

Petrol & Powder
12-13-2015, 12:24 PM
You could go with a 2.5" 686 with a bobbed hammer but it wouldn't exactly be a J-frame :bigsmyl2:!!!

Fire_Medic
12-13-2015, 12:53 PM
You could go with a 2.5" 686 with a bobbed hammer but it wouldn't exactly be a J-frame :bigsmyl2:!!!

No I will look for the j frame just non of the scandium light weight stuff. It has it's place and purpose :)

michaelcj
12-13-2015, 01:24 PM
Moon clips were designed for rimless cartridges in revolvers [ 45ACP, 9mm etc] they are of no use/function with rimmed cartridges in a revolver.
Stick with the speed loaders: HKS=twist release, SafariLand=simple push release… both work just fine.

Petrol & Powder
12-13-2015, 03:46 PM
Moon clips can work with rimmed cartridges but they require the cylinder to be machined to accept the clips. They tend to work better with short/fat cartridges like the 45 ACP. Longer cartridges like the 38 Special can work with a modified cylinder but the advantages aren't as pronounced when compared to shorter rimless cartridges.

This is not an endorsement but it does explain the process : http://www.moonclips.com/

Moon clips are fine for competition but I would never use them in a SD revolver.

Mk42gunner
12-13-2015, 04:46 PM
I wouldn't modify that gun for moonclips. As was mentioned they work well with .45ACP revolvers, (all I've personally used them in), I think they would be fine with the very few 9mm revolvers too.

If the Safariland's work for you, that is fine; I never got the few I tried to work smoothly. Now I have at least a few HKS's for each DA I have and I can't see changing.

Good luck and have fun with it,

Robert

Petrol & Powder
12-13-2015, 06:44 PM
I would never modify that 681 for moon clips either. I was just talking about the process. It would be a shame to permanently alter that perfect 681.

As for the Safariland loaders, they're a little different than HKS in terms of locking the cartridges into the loader but they're kind of like riding a bicycle. Once the concept clicks in your mind you don't even think about it again. I do think it's unwise to switch back and forth between loader styles because the muscle memory becomes so ingrained.

The technique I use to "load" the Safariland loaders is to insert the rounds into the loader, place the loader in my weak hand with the rounds against my palm just below my index finger. Then while holding the loader against my palm with my left thumb and fingers, use my right thumb and index finger to rotate the locking knob. It's harder to describe the technique than to actually do it.

StrawHat
12-14-2015, 07:15 AM
...I do think it's unwise to switch back and forth between loader styles because the muscle memory becomes so ingrained...

Exactly, choose one and stick to it. I used HKS for competition, never bobbled a load. After I quit competing, I went to moonclips as I also changed the cartridge I was using from 38 S&W Special to 45 ACP.

Pick one, learn it and stick to it. If you ever decide to change, completely learn the new system before betting the farm.

Kevin

DerekP Houston
12-14-2015, 07:29 AM
I hadn't heard of the brands mentioned above but I have had good luck with the following speed loaders:

http://www.5starfirearms.com/357-38-Caliber-s/116.htm

I have a 5, 6, and 7 round version all function as expected. Apparently I could have gotten them cheaper if I had shopped around.

fastdadio
12-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks guys my first personally owned 357 magnum revolver I am very happy this thing locks up tight and barely has any cylinder shake.

By by tupperware.

Now to find a good 10MM 1911.......

I know a guy with too low of a post count to list in the swap thread that has a like new set of RCBS 40sw/10mm carbide with shell holder collecting dust on his bench.....Just sayin.

Fire_Medic
12-16-2015, 11:05 PM
[/COLOR]

I know a guy with too low of a post count to list in the swap thread that has a like new set of RCBS 40sw/10mm carbide with shell holder collecting dust on his bench.....Just sayin.

Thanks but I got that squared away already [smilie=s:

fastdadio
12-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Thanks but I got that squared away already [smilie=s:
Hey, nothing weasled, nothing gained. Looks like this thread is slowing down so, enjoy your new wheel gun. I have a S&W mod 19 made in the late 50's. It's a beauty and shoots 158gr cast with spooky efficency.

Fergie
12-21-2015, 02:04 PM
When I originally read this thread, I had to do some research to find out what a 681 was...still learning all the minutia about S&W models.

Then, last night on a local FS gun page, a 681-3 pops up near me for $500. Something odd about it though...it is a seven shot, 4" barrel.

Are these some special gun due to the 7 shot nature?

Petrol & Powder
12-21-2015, 09:51 PM
If it is a 7 round cylinder it is likely a 686 plus. There were no 681's fitted with 7 round cylinders.

Fergie
12-21-2015, 11:08 PM
If it is a 7 round cylinder it is likely a 686 plus. There were no 681's fitted with 7 round cylinders.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/bergferg/12375963_10206500614726522_8279852264287776736_n_z ps9libnmch.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bergferg/media/12375963_10206500614726522_8279852264287776736_n_z ps9libnmch.jpg.html)

Guy says the crane is stamped 681-3.

Petrol & Powder
12-21-2015, 11:40 PM
That's a first for me. Never seen a 681 with a 7 round cylinder.

Pre-lock, fixed sights... looks to be a 681 frame/barrel. I guess it could be a factory 681 with a 7 round cylinder.