PDA

View Full Version : Dump Score!!!!!!!!!!

Geezer in NH
12-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Went to the dump this AM to get rid of our trash. Dump operator said back the truck over here and he started throwing rolls of lead roof flashing into the back. It came from a large old farmhouse and barn being rebuilt.

Its used and left by a contractor in town. Has some tar and sealer but total weight at around 150 pounds. I should get at least 120+ pounds of pure lead out of it. That's lots of ML balls. :bigsmyl2:

bangerjim
12-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Sometime free.....IS FREE! Good find!

Happy casting.

shoot-n-lead
12-12-2015, 03:31 PM
I went to the Walmart parking lot and found a bunch of wheel weights on Thanksgiving night...just had to take them off the wheel.

While my wife was shopping, I was scrounging wheel weights.:bigsmyl2:

03fatboy
12-12-2015, 03:48 PM
That is a very good score,way to go

bullet maker 57
12-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Free is for me. Good score.

LuckyDog
12-12-2015, 05:19 PM
I went to the Walmart parking lot and found a bunch of wheel weights on Thanksgiving night...just had to take them off the wheel.

While my wife was shopping, I was scrounging wheel weights.:bigsmyl2:
I wondered why my wheels felt unbalanced when I drove home.... [emoji14]

I'm assuming the wheels were off the cars first. :)

Geezer in NH
12-12-2015, 07:23 PM
Not really free as after a score like this I bring a dozen Danish the next time! It is in appreciation not a bribe.

shoot-n-lead
12-12-2015, 07:30 PM
I wondered why my wheels felt unbalanced when I drove home.... [emoji14]

I'm assuming the wheels were off the cars first. :)

No...No...I just took those wheelweight pliers and took them off...with the wheels still on the vehicles. No time for lifting vehicles and removing them.

tigweldit
12-12-2015, 08:42 PM
I just hate it when i get discovered collecting wheel weights at the local truck stop. Those drivers can get a bit testy. I try to explain how much better fuel mileage they can get by not hauling all that extra weight around, but they just won't listen. Those "tire testers" they carry pack quite a punch. Lucky for me the wife is a RN. Maybe I'll look for another place for my lead.

Tom W.
12-12-2015, 09:57 PM
You can get more and faster if you pay a few kids to work those pliers.....

jeepyj
12-12-2015, 10:21 PM
Sweet score. I don't think a day goes by that I don't try to mooch a little lead. Quite surprising how many time I score. Best of luck!!
jeepyj

lightman
12-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Thats a good score. Good on you for remembering to take them some goodies.

imashooter2
12-13-2015, 09:27 AM
Not really free as after a score like this I bring a dozen Danish the next time! It is in appreciation not a bribe.

To-may-to, to-mah-to. Great score! :p

Stilly
12-21-2015, 05:09 PM
I just hate it when i get discovered collecting wheel weights at the local truck stop. Those drivers can get a bit testy. I try to explain how much better fuel mileage they can get by not hauling all that extra weight around, but they just won't listen. Those "tire testers" they carry pack quite a punch. Lucky for me the wife is a RN. Maybe I'll look for another place for my lead.

Yeah they do! They will leave a bruised bone for months after the welt is gone. I stay away from truck stops during the day now because of that, but at night it is easier to work... :)

too many things
12-25-2015, 05:23 AM
you guys should check your local plumbing shops. most all save the copper and old cast with the lead hubs. most will sell you the cast cheap because they don't get enough out of it at the yard. I bought about 200 lbs for 10 bucks got about 40lbs of lead and sold the cast for 9 bucks . if you get lucky you may find some lead water pipe too

maxreloader
12-25-2015, 07:40 AM
Best way to get lead around here is to check with the local boat yard from time to time... people loses interest, can no longer afford, no place to store at home, after a bad storm etc... even a small sailboat keel gives up many years of casting base material.

SGTM9
12-25-2015, 07:47 AM
If you know anyone that works digging water and utility lines talk to them. A friend of mine
is a backhoe operator. He digs up old lead water pipe all the time. I have about 500lbs waiting to be smelted down right now. All it costs me is an occasional 12 pack and we share that so win win.

Jayhawkhuntclub
01-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Went to the dump this AM to get rid of our trash. Dump operator said back the truck over here and he started throwing rolls of lead roof flashing into the back.
The alley rat in me is envious! That's a great score!:D

Thinktwicez71
01-09-2016, 03:03 PM
very nice score , wish stuff like that happened to me , awesome for you tho !:lovebooli