PDA

View Full Version : Seeking guidance for a 300 blackout cast boolit.

kawasakifreak77
12-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Hey guys. I'm looking for a boolit to cast for my suppressed 300 blackout & need some guidance from you experts.

It would be used for subsonic loads, in a bolt action so cycling is a non issue & I shouldn't need to bother with a gas check correct?

I have a very primitive setup so I'm hoping to find someting I can shoot as cast & just pan lube.

I'm looking for something in the 165 to 175 grain range as my serious bullets (lehigh defence fracturing) are about the same weight. That way my point of impact will be similar to my cast practice loads.

I successfully developed a load using off the shelf 165 grain 309" flat point plain based bullets over 4.5 grains of Unique. It shot great but the flat nose really tore up meat on little critters. Which brings me to my last point:

I'd like something with as small of metplat as possible to reduce meat damage on edible little critters like squirrels.

Searching around turned up very few options in the weight range without a gas check, understandably. I found the 311041 in plain base but read several poor reviews of it. Then I found this:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=1844

I've heard really good things about NOE & this mold looks to have everything I *think* I need. So with my needs:

Subsonic
As cast / pan lube

Would this be a good investment? Thanks in advance for any help!

Moonie
12-19-2015, 01:04 AM
Without having to worry about cycling you can use any weight you want. I believe Tom over at Accurate Molds can make any of his 30 caliber molds with or without a gas check shank. I have one of his 245gr ones, with gas check I use in my 300BO and 30-06.

Blammer
12-20-2015, 10:35 AM
311291, a nice round nose that will not tear up game.

if you want heavier that works well on deer and small game go with 311284

William Yanda
12-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Since you are shooting at subsonic velocities, have you tried shooting gas checked boolit designs without gas checks? I will be trying that in 35 Remington, when I get around to it.

Hickok
12-20-2015, 06:22 PM
Tom at Accurate Molds also has some smooth boolits without any lube grooves for those who prefer PC'ed boolits in their Blackouts.

Elkins45
12-29-2015, 06:24 PM
Buy a pair of the Lee 170 molds. Turn one into a plain base with a drill bit. Ben has posted an excellent tutorial on how to remove the gas check from a mold.

Just as an FYI, I have done a good bit of experimenting with plain based bullets in 300 blackout. It's not easy to get one to shoot well. I've had my best results with a PB NOE 311365 water dropped.

kawasakifreak77
12-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Awesome possum. Thanks for the tips guys!