PDA

View Full Version : Low Wall/Winder accuracy

stubbicatt
12-12-2015, 06:40 AM
Shot my Winchester musket for the first time yesterday. Met a fellow at the club who explained that it isn't a Winder but a low wall. Either way, its a shooter!

I went to the range to try to get sight settings for the rimfire lever gun silhouette matches at the club. So I started at 25 yards with the rear sight bottomed. The CCI "high velocity" 22 shorts grouped into the X ring of a 100 yard small bore target into ½ inch or less. I wasn't expecting to see such a tight little group. I guess that sight setting is just about right. :)

Then I did 50 yards, and 100 yards. Groups opened significantly. There was about a 2 inches vertical dispersion, and 4 inches horizontal at 100 yards. Wind was definitely a factor here. Well, wind and shooter quality. lol.

I still have some work to do to arrive at the right sight settings, but I have a good start. Neat rifle.

MT Chambers
12-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Congrats on owning and firing such a fine rifle, accuracy in rimfires is dependent on the ammo, I would try as many diff. brands as possible including some match ammo if you can find it.

SWANEEDB
12-12-2015, 01:43 PM
Shot my Winchester musket for the first time yesterday. Met a fellow at the club who explained that it isn't a Winder but a low wall. Either way, its a shooter!

I went to the range to try to get sight settings for the rimfire lever gun silhouette matches at the club. So I started at 25 yards with the rear sight bottomed. The CCI "high velocity" 22 shorts grouped into the X ring of a 100 yard small bore target into ½ inch or less. I wasn't expecting to see such a tight little group. I guess that sight setting is just about right. :)

Then I did 50 yards, and 100 yards. Groups opened significantly. There was about a 2 inches vertical dispersion, and 4 inches horizontal at 100 yards. Wind was definitely a factor here. Well, wind and shooter quality. lol.

I still have some work to do to arrive at the right sight settings, but I have a good start. Neat rifle.

A real piece of workmanship, if you have a US stamped right behind the hammer, you have a Winder.

stubbicatt
12-13-2015, 10:13 AM
Yep. There's a U.S. and a flaming bomb on the upper tang.